Legalization of Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Giggity, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should Marijuana Be Legalized?

1. Yes

198 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. No

134 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. MetroGnome217

MetroGnome217 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    im sorry i guess i didnt word it properly
    i dont understand why a healthy person would want pot legalized
    (medical reasons aside)

2. hardcoregamer

hardcoregamer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    For about half a second, I think "Hey, maybe these guys are right!". Then I remember that the only people on here are teens, devs, mods and admins, and losers with no job and no college education living in their parent's basement smoking pot.

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    That description of yourself was pretty redundant. WHY DONT YOU FING TELL ME WHAT DRUGS ACTUALLY DO AND HOW A HIGH IS ACTUALLY CAUSED YOU DIPSHIT.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ...yeah I'd say that's pretty accurate, but that says nothing about their intelligence. There are smart and knowledgeable people around here.

It still seems to me the only reason you're so against weed is because of what you've been told by your parents and TV, rather than forming a neutral point of view, then looking into the facts, and then finally forming your own decision.

I don't smoke weed, and even if it were legal I wouldn't smoke it, so I've got no reason to defend it... but I still think that treating it as a deadly substance is ridiculous and it's illegal status is only due to government/corporate greed.

5. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Coming from the sexually active, one-time smoker 14 year old developer who is god's gift to these forums.

6. MetroGnome217

Apr 2, 2009
    wow there really is no answer to this
    thats why it shouldnt be legalized

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Alright then, give us a reason it should be illegal. It's side effects are no worse than the ones you get from alcohol and easily available over-the-counter drugs... so what makes it such a threat?

The reason it should be legal is that it's simply not a dangerous substance. There should be laws against smoking weed and driving/using machinery etc... the same stuff that applies to alcohol, but aside from that I can't see much harm occurring.

People who don't like weed still won't smoke it, and people who do like weed smoke it already, the differences wouldn't be as colossal as some people would like to make out.

8. MetroGnome217

Apr 2, 2009
    thats very fair
    here are good reasons:
    1. you said that "treating it as a deadly substance is ridiculous and it's illegal status is only due to government/corporate greed"
    if you dislike corporate greed, I believe that pot companies(if legalized) will follow the pattern of tobacco companies- add addictive, dangerous chemicals that make people addicted to the drug. keeping in mind that tobacco is more dangerous than pot in its natural state, I think companies will do the same!
    2. its a gateway drug. I know, trust me i dont work for DARE.
    Humanity will always have the desire to progress. That means wanting to move on to the bigger, more dangerous high
    3. When "under the influence" (dont work there either) many people make desicons that could cost them their lives and the lives of others. I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but many people are irresponsible and therefore cause the product not to be offered to the public

PLEASE- don't take this negatively, it is possible to have an intelligent debate
    I will not be upset if you dont agree with the above facts, but please provide counter examples. I believe that difference of opinion is one our most important gifts

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Good point, and it's very possible they'd try and pull a trick like that, however I'm fairly sure most people would opt to grow their own, or buy from a friend who grows it rather than buy packaged weed since obviously it'd cost ten times as much.

I can't claim to be super educated on the subject, but from my (admittedly fairly limited) experience, the biggest reason people I know personally that have gone from weed onto stronger drugs is because they buy it from people have those stronger drugs available. If you're hanging around drug dealers in the first place it's almost inevitable you're going to come into contact with something strong, whether you're buying weed or candy from them. If weed were legal many of these contacts would be broken.

This is actually a good point too, and unless someone else can counter it I'm inclined to agree with you. Weed may not be harmful in itself, but simply having another substance out there that alters your state of mind is bound to be a slight risk.

However... I'm still positive that people who are high are less of a danger to themselves and others than people who are drunk... therefore although the more mind-altering substances there are, the more risk there is, it doesn't make logical sense why the more dangerous of the two should be allowed.

10. MetroGnome217

Apr 2, 2009
    that is why i believe all mind altering drugs should be limited to medical use
    People claim to smoke to be "Relaxed" and calm
    If you cannot be relaxed without the use of drugs, i feel that the person needs medical and mental attention

11. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    That's probably true... but then we all have our hobbies ;) I play games to feel relaxed and calm, I guess some people just prefer weed.

I don't even drink alcohol very often, if you ask me anyone that needs a gallon of beer inside them to enjoy an evening must be pretty damn boring when they're sober.

12. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    stop listening to what the government is telling you. that stereotype is so overused.

13. MetroGnome217

Apr 2, 2009
    im sorry but the government didnt tell me that
    personal experience (kids at school) told me
    If you dont like the gov, have a good reason and move somewhere else

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    He was talking to hardcoregamer ;) Even if you have the same opinions as hardcore, at least you got them through personal experience, he didn't.

15. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    no. the real problems are the tobacco, alcohol, and medicine companies. they are the ones funding programs like d.a.r.e, telling them to say that marijuana does things like kill brain cells. medicine companies are well aware of the strong healing properties of marijuana, and thus, contribute to help keep it illegal. lots of politicians believe that marijuana should be legalized, but don't want to speak up for fear of being marked as a "drug addict".

and why are you taking advice from a bunch of stupid high school (or middle) kids? why dont you take advice to a doctor or scientist who has been researching marijuana and knows the true effects?

16. MetroGnome217

Apr 2, 2009
    misunderstood
    That sounds very interesting
    were did YOU get your information?

17. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm a semester away from graduating with my Masters degree in Psych, and I'm starting on my PhD soon thereafter. I have a job, a normal social life, and yes, I smoke. Don't make yourself seem ignorant by using unfounded stereotypes.

Just because you're a loser with no job and no college education living in their parent's basement doesn't mean the majority of the people on this site are.

18. kijib

kijib Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Incredibly successful Brain Surgeoune
    Pokemon World
    "have some cheese!!!!!"

-Urkel

19. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Oh my god I cracked a rib. :D

20. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    he thinks he can get away with what he said with the name "hardcoregamer".....