Legalization of Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Giggity, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should Marijuana Be Legalized?

1. Yes

198 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. No

134 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    You don't happen to know STP Phil or do you? So I guess see you at TAO? :rolleyes:

2. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    Over your dead body? I'm fine with that.

With the level of ignorance in your response, you shouldn't be surprised that someone might feel that way.

3. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    #263 EssentialParadox, Nov 4, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
    I provided a couple of links to scientific research. I'm not "coming up with theories", I'm only relaying the results of what researchers have found. Your comments do prove an interesting link between cannabis use and lung cancer though, one which makes proving or disproving the link between cannabis with cancer difficult for studies - the fact you smoke cigarettes as well as marijuana. It's been proven that people who smoke cannabis are more likely to get lung cancer, but the problem is those who smoke cannabis are also more likely to smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol, which can be swaying the results.

Cannabis smoke deposits the same carcinogens as tobacco into your lungs when smoked.

"One of these carcinogens is benzyprene. Benzyprene is in the tar of both tobacco and cannabis cigarettes. We know that benzyprene causes cancer. It alters a gene called p53, which is a tumour suppressor gene. We know that 3 out of 4 lung cancers (75%) occur in people who have faulty p53 genes. The p53 gene is also linked to many other cancers.

Cannabis also contains a substance called THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). It is the THC in the cannabis that changes your mood and behaviour. The amount of THC in a cannabis cigarette varies considerably. Researchers have shown that THC causes benzpyrene to promote the p53 gene to change.

Cannabis cigarettes don’t have filters like cigarettes do, so more of the tar reaches the lungs. Also, people inhale cannabis smoke for longer than cigarette smoke. This is to get the full effect of the cannabis. But it means that the smoke is in contact with the lungs for longer."

http://www.cancerhelp.org.uk/about-cancer/cancer-questions/does-smoking-cannabis-cause-cancer

There is a lot of recent information out there. I don't really have any interest in whether cannabis is legalized or not, I just read a lot of scientific news and articles, and this seems to be popular. :)

4. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    most of those studies are conducted using the leaf of the weed plant. the actual bud of the plant only contains 33% as much tar as are in cigarettes. besides that, nobody smokes weed as much as they smoke cigs. which brings into question all these theories. they never seem to factor that in. weed has also never been successfully linked to heart disease, or lung cancer. why would bud be used as an alternative for cancer patients, ppl who have been in serious accidents, even ppl with asthma, if it was all that bad?

5. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    correct. both medicine and tobacco companies are doing their best to try and keep it illegal. but they're gonna lose ;)

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    gaaaah durrr thats what i forgot to mention..the pharmaceutical companies..DUH. anyways yea..cali is close to legalizing i think.

yay 1k post.

7. oldskooler81

oldskooler81 Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Michigan
    I think a week ago the congress was passing a law that makes how "medical marijuana" is dealt with was up to the state and federal government cant interrupt with the selling of it. So no more dispensaries getting ruined.

Also watch "Super High Me" with the comedian Doug Benson
    its about him smoking pot for 30 days and see what happens
    its funny and informative

8. franny

franny Active Member

Oct 7, 2009
    nyc
    The Union: The Business Behind Getting High

Prohibition's good for gangsters!
    [hqyoutube]3HLzmH9VB6A[/hqyoutube]

9. Squirt Reynolds

Squirt Reynolds Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    California
    All the naysayers need to just chill out and take this guy's advice...

[​IMG]

10. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    yea i know bout Super High Me, havent gotten around to watching it yet. i heard he gets hella f'd up, which i dont understand cause i know ppl who smoke more than he did in the vid and they're prefectly fine..

11. Phil_Synowiec

Phil_Synowiec Well-Known Member

Super High Me is awesome, same with Doug Benson, he has a great movie podcast lol

12. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    lol whoa that went over my head. TAO? why would i know STP Phil?

13. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    nevermoind. Random brain farts* :p

*not caused by ganja lol

14. intake66

intake66 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Napa, California
    I am sure it's a tolerance issue. Obviously the more you smoke the more it takes to get you to that high state of mind.

15. EssentialParadox

EssentialParadox Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2009
    UK / Toronto
    I've known people who do…

I know it's sometimes used as a pain medication, but I don't believe it's ever been used as a treatment.

16. Giggity

Giggity Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Looking For Job
    USA
    Same here and it hasn't.

17. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    Wrong. It's used for the treatment of acute asthma. And the treatment of acute and cronic nausea.
    There are others too, you'd know that if you did your homework before posting. ;)

18. knittytal

knittytal Member

Oct 4, 2009
    United States
    United States
    Legalization of Marijuana

Same here I am not for legalization but just for de-criminalization of marijuna. At least those kids wont be worried if they are going to be arested or not. I dont think Marijuana is good for you thou

19. franny

franny Active Member

Oct 7, 2009
    nyc
    please watch this!

I was trying to find the clip where you see a Multiple Sclerosis patient before and after treating himself with cannabis, but it is very hard to watch. However if you take the time to do so you will probably think differently about the therapeutic possibilities of the plant. The clip I'm posting now is a good thing to watch if you think "marijuana is bad for you." I am curious as to how many of those still in school are regularly drug tested? There is a lot of money in that business. Did you know that your body produces cannibinoids on its own? Unless you're a machine, you're a criminal in the eyes of prohibition proponents!

20. franny

franny Active Member

Oct 7, 2009
    nyc
    Whoops, copyright claim! Here's the clip of the MS patient (7:38 in)