Legalization of Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Giggity, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Should Marijuana Be Legalized?

1. Yes

198 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. No

134 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Doesn't really matter anyway. These debates and the increase in people using the drug are some of the stepping stones to its legalization. It will eventually happen, my guess, in the next 10 years.

2. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    It was legal in Canada for a portion of 2003. We then legislatively stumbled back to a decriminalized model. Possessing up to 30g for personal use is not considered criminal.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    How about if weed was made legal, but only on the grounds that you couldn't drink anymore ;)

That'd give me absolutely nothing to do, cause I have asthma.

4. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    you sir, have a deal! I absolutely hate drinking these days. It makes your belly upset and makes you feel like a retard ( no offense ).

5. worldcup1100

worldcup1100 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Could you at least form more than a one line opinion for us? So far, all that you have said is that the bible does not say weed is good (does it even mention it?), say that medical uses are good, and speak of "bad' things cited by getting high is bad. Why? Please do some sort of explaining.

Personally, I have never used and don't plan to. But, I don't have an issue with the drug necessarily.

But, to make this crystal clear, if you have any opinion be able to back it up. Or please do not come across with such a strong opinion and basically say "just because". Don't be that uninformed. How about you take 10 minutes, take advantage of that vast resource sitting at your fingertips, read up, and come back with an informed opinion.

6. robstoned

robstoned Member

Sep 24, 2009
    The most successful potheads in the world!!

http://www.the-peoples-forum.com/cgi-bin/readart.cgi?ArtNum=9102

I wanted to point out that the studies that say smoking pot kills brain cells is true but they don't tell you how they did the testing.

They tested lab rats by putting them in a box filling it with smoke. They had to fill it with smoke comparable to over 40 joints to get any results.

I don't think any pot smoker is going to smoke that much in a day... EVER!!
    (Size to weed ratio of course)

There are also studies that suggest that smoking marijuana puts a coating around your brain cells protecting them.

The issue again in all of this is politics!!

America don't let your country turn you into a robot, believing everything they program you to... You may not think it's happening.. but it is!

If you don't like pot, hey that's fine. But don't act like you know something about it when you have no idea..

7. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    i'm all for legalization but weed makes me break out and beyond retarded. and when i wake up my freezer is empty soooo... lol

8. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    That's true no one can make you change your opinions, but I sure hope you're at least willing to change them. People whose opinions don't change are people who never learn anything new. Any intellectually honest individual should always be willing to reexamine their assumptions and opinions about things in the face of new evidence. Anything else is self-deception. After all, the more you learn, the less you know. And that's a good thing. Everything is always more complex and nuanced than we initially assume.

9. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
  10. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    rofl for real tho..WTF are u talking bout dude? seriously i read ur post 3 times and it still makes no sense to me..

11. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    dude ur totally right. for all the people who buy into the government's propaganda bout weed, then i feel bad that they're so ignorant because just bout everything they say is a lie/or they have worded it in such a way that it strays wayyy off from the truth. personally the whole legalization thing has always frustrated me cause ppl who are too brainwashed refuse to believe anything besides what the govt tells them. WAKE UP PPL, the govt lies. A LOT.

12. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    haha.

Just remember, driving drunk, or even just buzzed, is always worse than driving baked

13. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
  14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
  15. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
  16. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Totally added that guy as a friend haha.

17. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
    That guy:

"Ooh! I got a friend request! Time to go walk the banana!"
    *puts a leash on a banana and drags it around town in the middle of the night shouting "USA! USA!"*

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Probably. Which would be odd cause he's in Denmark.

19. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    Man son of a... I bump this frickin thread the other day and today I miss out on all the discussion :( what a lousy day to be so swamped at work.

I swear this argument is like deja vu. I used to go round and round with my dad on this very subject, so it's very close to my heart :)

A lot of valid facts and arguments have already been posted but I'd just like to reiterate a couple points. Someone made a great post around the uses of hemp, and how it is a vastly superior product for producing paper and other textiles. That is a legitimate threat to big businesses. In essence this is the bigger reason why the government wants it to be illegal, not because of the effects.

Anyone can check the facts around marijuana vs. alcohol. Take a look at the number of DUI's, alcohol related deaths and accidents, liver and organ disease, dependencies, spousal abuse.. the list goes on. Look for similar statistics on marijuana and see which one causes more trouble. I love a drink as much as the next person but there is no question which is the more lethal substance. Yet it is legal :eek: Think about it- what business does alcohol threaten? What other purposes can it be used for? It's not undercutting anything else. It's not putting soda pop out of business.

I think the funniest post in this thread was whoever said they don't want stoners walking around in their neighborhoods! I bet you'd be really surprised about the amount of people in your neighborhood that smoke! That friendly old lady down the street that always waves, yup she smokes. The successful guy in the big house next door, better believe he's toking it up :)

Honestly, when I'm stoned I wouldn't hurt a butterfly. When I'm really drunk, you don't want me anywhere near your neighborhood :D

20. Nausicaa

Nausicaa Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    This isn't totally true. Well, it's true that back in the early 20th century this was one of the reasons it was made illegal (threat to cotton and printing industries) - although racism was the catalyst that made it happen - I don't think this has much to do with it's continued criminalization. Most of the Western world allows hemp production. The US is an exception of course, but in today's globalised economy if hemp was really a threat our prohibition wouldn't be stopping it.

Instead, I think it's simply a problem of bureaucratic growth. There are now several government agencies employing tens of thousands of people to fight the drug war. Cannabis is enemy number one. It's true that there really wouldn't be much of a drug war left were cannabis to become legal. These agencies, not to mention police departments around the country that use the drug war as a source of funding and new equipment, as well as a prosecutorial tool, are the principle cause.

Not to mention it's been used as volleyball for politicians for decades. Clinton came very close to listening to an advisor who insisted legalization or decrim. was a positive step - before he was dismissed as a result of political pressure. Few politicians are willing to take a stand, because they know they'll be steamrolled with it by the opposition party.

In short, like most problematic issues in government, too many people rely on the status quo. Eventually public opinion will shift and this will no longer stand.