Universal Legacy of Dorn: Herald of Oblivion (by Tin Man Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Dunan, Oct 14, 2015.

1. IOSgamer1980

IOSgamer1980 Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2015
    So this has been on sale with a bunch of other Tin Man games for awhile now and I decided to buy it a few days ago. The Gameboy classic-looking aesthetic made me hesitate at $5.99, but honestly I'd have paid more than $1.99 for it had I known how much I'd like it.

The writing's solid - very descriptive in a way that makes my mind envision the grim-dark 40K world perfectly. The plotting and gameplay choices are also very well done. I like how you can sort of predict the outcome of a decision based on whether you're making choices based on the real world you or the imaginary space marine you that exists solely to cleanse the galaxy of heretics and filthy xenos.

I actually like the combat for what it is. It's very simple, almost primitive, so far, but it's probably one of my favorite approaches to abstracting combat with enemies that I've seen in a Game book this side of Joe Dever's Lonewolf.

I'm guessing they've either cancelled the sequels or merely delayed them heavily, since I'm guessing this one didn't light up the sales charts. According to the description this is the first entry in a trilogy. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the content update that automatically attempts to download when I start the app, but never gets past 3 percent for some reason.

If you like gamebooks and particularly WH40K universe, I'd strongly suggest you pounce on this while it's still on sale.

2. desito

desito Active Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Actually the game has reduced price. But I wonder if it is a 64 bit app.

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    On sale for a dollar, I might give it a shot.

4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    It’s pretty old and looks like it’s had no updates, I’d be concerned on how well it functions and how it looks on modern devices.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i'm a bit miffed for once with Tin Man games. Loved that other app, the Fighting Fantasy book compilation, now nothing for ages, dead as a dodo

6. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @psj3809 yeh it sucks, I get by on the occasional game with Choice of Games their app is pretty great for game books but you probably already know that.

That recently released Untold is very good too.