iPad LED Football 2

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by jwbrent, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    Being a fan of the original, I bought this and noticed some differences. First, if you step forward one space, you can't pass anymore. I'm also seeing inconsistancies when passing; the original was a defender need only be one or two spaces in front of you (as long as he moved forward at least one space) and you could pass with no interception. Not the case with this version.

I'm going to play with it more but would like to hear other's thoughts...

2. jwbrent

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    The app store page also says runbacks on kicks but that is not the case.

3. InsolentDreams

InsolentDreams Well-Known Member

FYI - Link to LED Football 2

Here's the direct Link: LED Football 2

I'm the developer of this app, and I'd love some feedback if you have it. :)

To respond to your comments so far, first, the passing stops working when you pass the line of scrimmage. That is on purpose.

Second, I don't even know what a kickback is. And well, I don't know why it's mentioned since I don't even know what it is, and I programmed the dang thing. Can you explain it? :p

And finally, we are not trying to copy the game or games in the past that had similar gameplay. We are trying to take what they have and run with it, improving and tweaking where we see necessary for the platform, and for gameplay. For example, in one of the original v1 games, the time used to not matter and it used to play infinitely (at least on my handheld). Also, passing on the originals used to be very tweaky, you used to almost never be able to pass over the head of a enemy, making passing basically useless. What the heck would you pass for if it couldn't go over the defender's head! :)

Anyway, I would love to hear more feedback. Publicly here is fine, but if you want to ask me questions personally, feel free to PM me or visit our website and submit the contact form.

I do love playing LED Football 2, I worked on it so much and playtested it so much buy I still play it, which means it must be pretty good. :p Passing is fun! It took a lot of playtesting to decide on the percentages of deflection of a pass and stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the post, I should have done it myself.

4. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    AWESOME i didn't know touchGrove (EDIT: Apprently 2 different guys, sorry!) was here

I can't wait for LED Baseball!! Can you tell us which retro handheld it will be based off of?

I'm actually disappointed by the lack of popularity for your apps. I remember making a thread about the upcoming titles a few weeks ago and it got zero replies :p

5. InsolentDreams

Not Touchgrove...

We're partnered with touchGrove. They do graphics and PR work, we do the coding. :) So no, they are not here, sorry. But we are. :) All their apps and all our apps we programmed. :) Though, all our apps we did our own graphics for.

And yeah I know, the LED games are real popular in certain circles. I think the readers of touchArcade aren't really the old school or retro type. They may not be old enough to have had one of these original classic handheld games. I personally didn't have one (but I have one now!) but a lot of people I talk to have played one at their grandparents house.

Anyway, to the people here that are younger (I am younger) I say, go buy LED Football and see what it was like 30+ years ago before modern electronics. Crap, I will give you a promo code for LED Football 1 if you're really poor.

6. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah I am only 19 but I'm a huge retro gaming fan, so naturally I love these apps :D

7. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    @ InsolentDreams

Can you make a lite version?

I didn't understand the game yet by looking at the video.

I know it's just $0.99 but, as I just said in another topic, if I start to buy all of those games I'll end up purchasing $10 in just one week.

I'm not poor but I can't spend too much either. :)

8. InsolentDreams

Sorry...

I totally understand. And no, there really isn't much to this game, there is no way we could make a lite version to a game this simple. :)

And basically it's a pretty simple game, you are the quarterback, and you basically can move up, down, left and right. The game goes in 1-second "ticks" and most every tick a single enemy moves towards you. When a hole opens up you have to run your quarterback through that hole. After 80 yards (you start on your 20 yard line) you score a touchdown. It's pretty simple, football 2 adds a new spot on the playing field to move around in, the ability to move backwards, and the new passing feature (and much cooler graphics).

9. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    @ InsolentDreams

OK. I understand.

Just one more thing: does the game have statistics? Like winnings/losses at least? This feature is always a good reason to keep playing a game.

10. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Love this app - loved the last one as well. Guess nostalgia plays a big part for me, I'm old enough that these games were THE hot item at X-mas when I was a kid so having them now on the Iphone is just too cool. Couple comments on the new one.

It's taking a while to figure out when/how the defense scores or which side has the ball. I think the computer just randomly will get points when it would have been it's turn on offense.

Sometimes it seems like I can kick a field goal from 60+ yards.

I had no idea you cold pass OVER the defenders. That was good info.

Still - those are minor gripes, I love the game and it's a ton of fun - quick pick up and play and 99 cents is a good price.

11. jwbrent

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    Let's see if I can explain myself better...

A runback is when after the ball is kicked, you can return the ball. In this version, after a kick by the CPU, you are always placed on the 20 yard line.

I understand now this is not supposed to emulate the original Mattel game. I am having problems figuring when I can pass. The original game was easy; if a defender in front of you moved toward you at least one yard (and is past the line of scrimmage), you could pass for a completion as long as your receiver was in the same passing lane. If there were 2 defenders in your passing lane, again, as long as they both moved toward you and were beyond the line of scrimmage, you could pass for a completion. In this version, completions seem random following no set logic. Also, I'm not sure if there are any interceptions in this version.

The one player game has an interesting scoring system. It seems if you get to a 4th down and kick, you either score 3 points for a made field goal or the CPU gets 3 points for a miss. If you decide to run a play on 4th down instead and don't make a first down, the CPU gets 7 points. There is no punting so if you are faced with a long field goal try which you're not likely to make, you have to try for a 1st down.

The running game is much better than LED Football since you can move in 4 directions instead of only 3. It would be nice to hear from the developer if there is any logic used to be successful in passing...

12. Here is a free flash version that will give you an idea of LED Football 1.

13. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    Thanks.

14. AndyL

AndyL Well-Known Member

I've played the first LED Football and loved it. When this came out I had to get it, and so far I'm loving it! I scored 35 points in a single game!

15. InsolentDreams

Thanks for the info about the runbacks. It doesn't have these, but I might add them in the next version, or we'll remove runbacks from the text/description.

Second, no there is no interceptions.

Third, the logic behind passing is pretty simple... it's basically a percentage. I can't give details away, but every enemy that the ball has to fly over their head has a chance at knocking the ball away. So if you throw the ball over two enemies heads there's a pretty good chance your pass will be incomplete. Three enemies heads should be nearly impossible. In addition to this, your receiver has a chance at dropping the ball, "butterfingers" as you might say. :) If he drops it you will see the brighter ball icon blink instead of a defender. This chance is very slim, but is also a chance.

Finally, scoring. We did scoring in this one just like in the first LED Football game. If you are playing single player, then basically anytime you fail during a 4th down, the opponent scores. If you happen to be running/passing it during 4th down and fail the opponent gets 7 points, if you happen to be kicking it and fail the opponent gets 3 points. This is a relatively simple scoring system that we thought up just so that single player "made sense". The original games never really had single player, and never really had a way for the opponent to score. This is just something we came up with after a ton of testing that could give you something to work for. If you are a purist and like the original gameplay where you play both teams, just set players to 2, and then you can have that retro gameplay. That gameplay just doesn't make too much sense for me when I'm playing alone.

HINT/TIP: Here's a COOL hint... if you want to play the entire game from the right to the left instead of left to right, start a new game, set it to two players, get to the 4th down and fail so that you switch teams, then set it back to 1 player. You'll play the rest of the game from the right to the left. :) Neat eh?

Cheers!

16. InsolentDreams

Hey TheClaff, read my previous post, opponent scoring is not random at all.

But the kicking distance IS random. Again, the actual math I won't disclose, but I will say that yes, kicking a field goal from 60 yards is definitely possible but unlikely. The closer you get to the goal, the greater chance you have of being successful.

And yeah, you can pass over the defenders, it's SWEET!

Also, there is a good reason to try for the field goal as long as you're close enough, because if you fail the opponent only gets 3 points as opposed to 7 if you fail running. :) Another reason why we implemented it how we did, to really make you have to decide which path to take.

Another TIP/HINT: When playing in HARD mode, passing and kicking is all easier to perform. :) It balances out the accelerated gameplay that hard has.

17. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Not trying to change the subject of the thread, but isn't there a contest going on for this game to get a gold iPod Touch (or something like that)? I'm wondering how the developer got one of these and how we can win it. I might get the game, but I was just interested in this contest.

Thanks for any info

18. InsolentDreams

Contest...

Yes, our partner touchGrove got one of these from some "pimp your gear" shop. It wasn't from Apple or anything, it's some place that does gold plating of gear. I forget the name.

And yes, there is a contest but since the details aren't public yet, I haven't posted anything to this forum yet. When we get details I'll post my own thread here for you all to see and enter! :) If you want to check for details yourself when they are posted, go to ledfootball2.com regularly. But, really it's not necessary, I will post here on the forums and update this thread, so if you want to be notified, subscribe to this thread. :)

19. Carlos-Sz

Nov 5, 2008
    @ InsolentDreams

I'm really enjoying the game but:

1) can you make something like a game report at the ending or something? The problem is that I end up pressing e.g. Pass button right after the end of the time and I'm not able to see the final score anymore because a new game starts. Even if it is just a message box telling the game result: "You win: 21x7".

2) can you add statistics (at least winnings/losses)? Maybe you could even show it at the end of each game. This feature alone is a good reason to keep playing a game increasing its replay value.

Thanks

20. InsolentDreams

Hey Carlos,

Thanks for the feedback, yea I've heard a few people complaining about that. Our concern was that it was almost too hard to start the game, so we made any button start a new game. The problem definitely comes in when you end the game, it instantly restarts the game. It is sort of frustrating and I'm already working on a fix for that.

Well, I have to convince my partners of the stats/win/loss thing, they want it to remain VERY retro, and adding anything like that might lessen the retro experience. I think we can swing something though, even if it's a retro LCD-ish counter on the back that says Wins/Losses/Incomplete.

Cheers