Learning to Code

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TheOZ, Jan 19, 2009.

1. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Haha you basically conviced me alraedy, but so far I think what I am going to do is read the books(C++,Obj-C, etc) then im going to go into Unity and mess with it so I can get more familiar with coding then I'll try to create my first game in SDK and then when I get to my platformer idea I think it would be better using unity(from what I saw with the tutorials its good) unless once I learn my way around SDK if I find it's(SDK) easier/better or more effective. Basically i might do a bit of flip flopping, but mostly I want to choose a program which I can really sink my teeth into and have a more fullfilling sense of accomplishment.

Sorry Im complicated lol but thanks everyone who helped here, this really helped and opened up my ideas alittle bit more.

2. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Do you know if the Javascript part works on iPhones right now? a big plus to them if it does already.

3. AppStoreGamer

AppStoreGamer Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Yes, the javascript feature in Unity works on the iPhone. (quite well I might add)

4. adgeman

adgeman New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I'm in the same boat as a few others here as I'd like to learn a bit about coding to give iphone development a go but I've no idea where to start. I was looking on amazon and there seem to be a few books - can anyone recommend resources for me to try out?

Ironically I work for a very large games company and have designed a lot of games in the past but I've never got as far as coding them. One day perhaps...

5. shannonkay

shannonkay Member

Jan 9, 2009
    We use unity and my husband has been a programmer in the game industry for 7 years. He really likes it.

6. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Great to know, thanks :D