Learning OpenGL ES

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by hailstorm, Feb 8, 2009.

1. hailstorm

hailstorm Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Any recommendations of books or tutorials for getting started with OpenGL ES?

I'm more interested in using it just for 2D but just getting something on the screen to start with would be great.

2. Shroomies

Shroomies Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Back in June I was in your position and was looking for OpenGL ES books too. The best I found was Mobile 3D Graphics:

http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-3D-Graphics-Kaufmann-Computer/dp/0123737273

There are 3 parts to the book. The 1st part introduces you to basic 3D concepts. The 2nd part talks about OpenGL ES. The 3rd part talks about M3G which you can ignore since it is not applicable to the iPhone. It's a great book and got us started on the right foot.

To be fair, there are some disadvantages to this book...

- It is not iPhone specific. It would have been great to load up sample projects into Xcode and have it work on the iPhone. Also there are several important iPhone extensions that are not mentioned such as the PVRTC extension.

- It is not 2D specific. There are only a few pages that mention how to use OpenGL ES in a 2D application.

3. hailstorm

hailstorm Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Thanks. I'll give it a go. It's a shame nothing specific for iphone has come out.