Universal Leap Day (by Nitrome)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, May 11, 2016.

1. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm on the side of if there are unlockable characters, I'd prefer them to be from achievements. LOVE this game!

2. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    My vote on unlockable characters goes to trophy collection. Seems the simplest and easiest to implement, while still presenting something of a challenge for players to achieve.

3. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Genius ^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

4. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    I think unlockable characters would detract from the main character and take away his icon potential.

But instead maybe have unlockable colors, unlockable outfits, etc.

5. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I also thought about that. Since he is solid yellow (with a green, Muppet nose), going different solids would be super slick and easy. And hats are great - ask Rocketcat. As I'm typing, I think I'd actually prefer this over different characters. Maybe a female build, too.

6. Nitrome

Nitrome Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    Wow we didn't expect so many replies so fast! We have nearly wrapped up with a small update to fix a few things like the premium checkpoints and adding some social sharing options.

Once that's done we will start on this...probably I will start designing some characters tommorrow as I'm ahead of the programmers.

Loving all your suggestions! Keep them coming and once we have agreed it as a team I'll let you know what we're going with!

7. Cyl

Cyl Active Member

Nov 15, 2013
    France
    #107 Cyl, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    I just finished all levels, each with a fruit trophy :)
    I hope you will make something special with Yellow Fellow #

8. zinkdogg

zinkdogg Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    I was thinking that too. Maybe something to match the days' level a little. I don't have a problem with the game's character at all. If anything, I think I might enjoy things like secret rooms for like hidden trophies or a chest full of fruit. Maybe a combo system for bopping enemies( get like a 20 combo and get some sort of power-up). These are just a couple ideas. If Nitrome doesn't add or change a thing, I'll still be playing this for like......ever!

9. Nitrome

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    BTW someone asked in a comment a few pages back about the characters name and does have one that we have been calling him in the office. He is called....Yolk (like the yellow part of an egg).

They also asked about back story. He doesn't really have a backstory. We see him as being a competitor in some sort of monsters event....that's why there is a crowd and trophies.

Any unlockable characters we add therefore would be other competitors to the event....that's how we see it right now anyway.

10. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Yolk!

That's awesome. Nitrome's new mascot! Yolk the Leap dayer!

Hehe

Billy

11. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Just beat the new level and got my seventh gold crown and 100% fruit. The Fruit Basket achievement unlocked but not the Going for Gold achievement. Bug?

12. Johnny Gasoline

Johnny Gasoline New Member

May 17, 2016
    I am completely in love with this game. I'm not usually good at anything, but this one speaks to me.

One request I would put above everything else is a little more level variation. I've been playing the last six days, and it already feels like when I am going through the last few levels, I see a couple sections that I've played before.

I think part of it is that with the harder sections, I have to play them a lot to get through, I almost have to memorize them. But then that means, when they pop up again, I not only recognize them easily but I already know how to burn through.

Mostly though: amazing game. I love hitting a new section and having a totally different obstacle to figure out or seeing a new monster. The more the better!

13. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Johnny man you haven't hit repetitve level sections yet man, thats just not true. The games been out for 6 days and every level has been completely original. That can happen eventually even Nitrome said it could happen after a long while but you claiming it's getting repetitive is just bogus. Trying to stir up controversy or make something out of nothing or whatever have you, fine. But you do know everyone gets the same level right? And myself and others have played feverishly so you just sound like a bullshit artist trying to claim that you're playing repetitive sections.

14. Johnny Gasoline

Johnny Gasoline New Member

May 17, 2016
    Whoa man, take it easy. Not trying to flame on or start stuff, just calling it like I see it. It felt like once or twice the same section popped up, usually a tough one where I was like "oh yeah, I remember this". Ist kind of hard to describe, I wasn't taking notes, and I'm not going to take screenshots to prove it or anything, just got a feeling. If everyone disagrees, then I'm totally wrong and no harm done. I could have easily mixed things up going through the levels trying to get perfect fruit scores. Just a game, right?

15. Nitrome

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    @Johnny

As long as the game does well enough we would like to keep adding more content so that the game does not get stale. That would include more level chunks, enemies and traps to the core game.

16. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    There have in fact been repetitive segments over the course of the last week. They're brief, but they have existed.

17. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    It's normal that some parts are present twice. If there are 800 different chunks in total and 15 checkpoints per level it means that in a week you will have a part repeated in average at least. The number of parts repeated will of course depend on the randomness of the algorithm. But it's not such a bad thing in my opinion!
    For the moment, those who bought the IAP can't compete for the "No checkpoints" challenge. So yeah it may seem like the game could get boring after a certain time because you'll encounter all the possible chunks. But in that way, you'll also get better at these parts and after a certain time you could begin the checkpoints free run on precedent levels.

And speaking of the "No checkpoints" run, it would seem to me that if you want to add some characters, chunks or power ups it would work better with a grinding system more than the trophy one. If I'm trying to beat a level flawlessly again and again, it would feel better knowing that at least I'm collecting something, be it coins or something else. That way if I spend 1 hour trying but failing it would feel like a total loss of time if I can earn some currency at the same time. It would even encourage people to go for the perfect run because they will have to replay levels anyway.
    Getting characters from your other series would be cool but having to simply wait several days to get them would be sad and terribly simple. Grinding is my favorite part and it would go well with this game.

For the unlocks, "Magic Touch" was a nice system. You farm coins and then you can use them as you like. Why not implementing fruit runs and coin runs : same level but with coins instead of fruits BUT without checkpoints and you could leave the level keeping your coins or risk to go higher but with the chance to lose them all (would get in line for perfect runs IMO). So you could of course grind the first part over and over but just 10 coins by 10 coins would be pretty tedious and that wouldn't be the point of the game anyway so I don't see why people would do that.
    Or we could earn coins by jumping onto enemies or completing certain tasks, like not dying for 3 checkpoints=5coins, 5CP=10coins and so on. But definetly something to do with accomplishments in the level and death! And enemies is a good and bad idea at the same time. There are some levels where a part is filled with 12 enemies really easy to kill (the small violet caterpillars/balls). There would be places to farm coins but again, why would people do that, it's not funny to grind like that...

Also if we are talking about unlocks, why just characters? Why not adding some things just like in Magic Touch? Like new chunks, biomes, one use power ups... The only question I would have is how would the generation algorithm work for older levels if you add new elements? Would the old levels stay the same or also use the new ones? It would mean that what you did would not count because everything would change...
    So is it a good idea to transform the calendar according to the expansion unlocked? Like you could have the month of May with Standard components or you could switch to the month of May with Expansion #1 components. Just a simple update with 4-5 monsters and 100-200 chunks would double all the possible levels so we could replay older levels but they would be totaly different with the new parts! This way people who don't buy the expansion via IAP are still having standard levels like now but people who bought it would have a totaly parallel callendar with new levels without interfering with the old ones. That would also mean 2 new levels per day (or more depending on the number of expansions) and I find that possibility quite awesome!

With all that said, I really apreciate this game. Making a game that works on older devices, no connection required, IAPs like they should be, great gameplay and replayability like that, what could be better? There are even plans for score boards for people who like to compete (I'm already competing against myself and I'm losing quite often so I'm not ready for world wide competition yet ^^'). I really hope this App will spread and the devs will be able to add new content to make this game even better and more diversified!

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Lol my thoughts exactly. I've also noticed a few repeat level chunks but it's not really a big deal (at least for now).

19. zinkdogg

zinkdogg Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    So I didn't notice there are different trophies. Gold, Silver and Bronze. How do you get gold? Not dying? Only achievement I've unlocked is the one for collecting all fruit for a week.

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I believe you get Bronze for making it to the last 10 sections of a level, Silver for the last 5(?), and Gold for completing a level but not getting all fruit. Then completing a level with all fruit gives you the version of the Gold trophy with an apple on it.