Universal Leap Day (by Nitrome)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, May 11, 2016.

1. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Mr Doo! Wasn't that Taito too. Oh the great Coleco vision in it's day.

2. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    So, this morning I start the game up to finish yesterday's level so I can start the new level. It starts & the new level comes up! I was on 2 of yesterday's level & thought dang I just lost that progress. I went to the calendar, started yesterday & it has my save!!!! Wow, Nitrome is too awesome!!! They thought to keep old saves even when the new loads!!!! Fantastic!!! I love this game! Nitrome may be the best dev. Out there! This & Rust Bucket are all you need on your device!

3. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Nice to see Happymagenta over here...in my one-hander-GOTY-book, both are battling for first place atm. Also, and unfortunatelly for me, both suffer a lack in Gamecenter's appearence (and therefor to be perfect): Tomb of the Masks doesn't provide a pure one-life leaderboard, while there is none in Leap Day, at all.

Hmm, i'm wondering if an overall and ongoing time leaderboard could give a replay value to all those daily levels. Finishing a level gives you a time that will be summed up with all levels for an overall best time. (Deaths and fruits don't matter)
    This means, to stay on the board, you'll always have to finish every level for the rest of your life. Lol, what a (hopefully) long task. Of course you could replay any stage for a better time as many times as you want.

Nitrome, have you ever had any possible leaderboard thoughts on this pearl?

Oh, and for people with control difficulties...besides learning the wall gliding, fall off a step and jump to overcome a gap (double jumping would kill you), the length/height of your (double) jumps, the corner jump is an important and very helpful tool (e.g. to kill an enemy in the middle of the screen). Imho, these controls are absolute perfectly coded, and no arguing is possible. Really. Otherwise, sorry, you still suck, lol.

PS: i love your thoughtful icon. Reminds me easily to check it out once a day.

4. zinkdogg

zinkdogg Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    I'm absolutely loving this game. I have the fruit cups for every day so far, but no perfect runs yet. My only complaint is that when you reboot the game and start off from a checkpoint, the fruit below has been replaced, like you missed them. So, it seems like I can't quit in the middle of a run and come back. I don't have a problem having to restart the level, it's just something I noticed.
    I bought the IAP quickly but miss going into that side room for the checkpoints.

5. Nitrome

Nitrome Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    @Quertz555 I love your idea for a persistent highs ore that every day becomes possible to get a higher score because they are all added. We did have some thoughts on high score but we haven't nailed down the direction to take it.

We wanted to have a score board for every day but it's not possible with Apples system. We may though still offer it using our own servers. We're thinking you can only submit a score on that actual day so when the day is over there are no more submissions. Plus the 1st scorers name could be on a plaque under the gold cup for all eternity....good idea?

Also we considered to have a best time for any one level so you may find a level that you think gives you an edge to beat the best time ever.

We have been thinking about what the score should be too. One thought is points for fruit and a bigger bonus for skipping a checkpoint would work. The other idea is to just do it with time and possibly deduct time every time you hit a fruit for extra strategy.

We would love to hear people's thoughts on scores. Which ideas do you like more and please do throw more into the ring....nothing has been settled on.

@Zincdog the fruit being there when you came back to a level later was on our list of things to address but sadly didn't make launch. We might still clean it up in an update though as it bugged us too. Also you will be happy to hear that side rooms should be coming back to premium in the next update. There are too many downsides to not having them for premium players so in the update there will be a new chest type for premium players to unlock checkpoints rather than them auto unlock....it will be free to use though.

6. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I like having the auto-checkpoints. Maybe consider having the side room become a place to turn them off and on? I'm not sure how that would work, but I feel like, from how I've been playing, it would be a pain to go hit the checkpoint in the side room every floor.

7. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I personally like the check point room. If I missed some I won't hit it so I can go back. But I see your point as well and that's a good solution. What do you think devs is it feasible?

I'd love to see different characters down the road. I wish we had a weapon like in Bubble Bobble. Man id be in heaven. Lol

Billy

8. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    As usual, I'm compelled to agree with Billy. Checkpoint rooms and new charavters, naturally. I think new characters would be a hugely positive addition. My fav game at the moment!!! Much love Nitrome!

9. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    For as simple as it is to hit a side room, I don't see it as a time issue or a continuity breaker. I'm for it. It adds a new little dimension to gameplay.

10. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    To be honest, I bought the premium unlock at the first checkpoint on the first day, so I never really experienced the game having to use the side room system. If I'm alone in my opinon, disregard it and I certainly won't fuss.

I'm all for more characters, too. I do think this guy's pretty funny, though. Does he have a name and back story? I sort of would love to see an old school manual with backstory for this and Rust Bucket (sort of like what War Bits did).

I hope this is doing well! I'm loving it so far, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

11. Nitrome

Nitrome Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    Thanks for all your comments about the checkpoints. We're toying with the idea of keeping two rooms in premium and having the second room contain a toggle for auto checkpoints. We're just a little concerned without using text how we get this across to the players. If we can make it make sense we will probably do that. If not we'd rather keep it clear I think.

The game is doing very well for us....so far our best performing game to date for week 1! It may not stay that way but it's a great start so we're definitely looking at some update. It sounds from here on the Touch Arcade forums, Twitter, reviews and emails that everyone wants unlockable characters so that's probably what will be added next :)

The question with characters remains how to unlock them so we have a few options:

Reward players for getting a number of Trophys. If so this could be just Gold Trophys or Bronze and Silver too.

Or we could unlock with fruit. The problem here being that fruit only exits within a level and you use it for checkpoints.

Or we could introduce another currency that is persistent outside of the levels. Jump on enemies to get coins, get them at cups as a bonus maybe too and for any fruit left at the end.

If we're grinding them open with fruit or coins should the unlock be how Nitromw usually approach it where there is a list of characters with different prices or more like Crossy Road with a set price but random character?

Please weigh in with your opinions on what you would like more....it may help us settle on a direction :)

12. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Hmm, I might be one of the very few who doesn't need additional characters. Leap Day's main protagonist is super unique, I also rather would love to see and know more about him. Random charakters also make a game more random to me, less special. But I know, people love collecting... I see it more in a sense of Mario, Sonic or as an iOS example, Bean. Either way, if they are as unique as the current creature, I'm looking forward to see what you'll come up with :)

Glad to hear that this game is a success right now!

13. Cyl

Cyl Active Member

Nov 15, 2013
    France
    Happy to give my very humble support to such a great game. I wish it will help you devs to bring even more variety in the "random" generation process rather than adding collectibles. This is what makes the strenght of your game IMHO.

14. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    I'm agree with your personal robot and Cyl, there are so many games with additional characters...

15. sinagog

sinagog Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Just projecting myself into the casual crowd's collective thoughts for a moment, but I think maybe levels which are 25% or so shorter may prevent a large swathe of them from moving onto games with more instant gratifications.

16. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    I don't think you should go the Crossy Road route with characters. I love this little yellow guy, and I would rather have a few super unique and awesome characters over a ton of generic characters. I think trophies over fruit for unlocking new characters. Maybe a character that you can unlock with like 5 gold trophies, then a steeper curve for the other handful (I'd stay at 10 or below). One that takes at least a month of gold trophies. One that takes a week of fruit trophies. One that take one or two perfect runs.

So, I guess what I'm really saying is that unlocked characters, IMO, should be unlocked via achievements rather than collecting.

17. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Or you can sell them for $1 each along with the way Jerutix described. It would give an additional cash flow and if it's just too hard for someone they could get the character they want.

Billy

18. panama chief

panama chief Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    I like the idea of trophy driven characters. But I also like the idea of coins from kills. I'm sure a lot of people who play avoid the monsters if they can while a few of us kill whatever we can just for the thrill.

Speaking of thrills. The last segments in each level introduce something tough and inspiring. If the game keeps producing profit, any chance at a gauntlet of tougher sections? Maybe a hard mode of some sorts?

19. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Been obsessed with this game. It's so well done and everything is perfect. I think having playable characters to unlock would be an great addition. I try and get all the fruit each day (going for no checkpoints would drive me to the crazy house) so knowing I could unlock a character would be extra incentive.

Thanks for making this!

20. Jerutix

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    What about unlockable level segments? Like, if you get N gold trophies, you unlock some harder level sections. If you get N perfect runs, you unlock some brutal sections. Maybe the harder ones could have a toggle, or only appear certain days.

That may break the way the game works - I assume we all have identical levels based on the algorithm that generates them each day. But, if it wasn't too hard to tweak, it could be a way to allow players craving extra challenge to get that.

Oh, wait! What if harder levels appeared on top of the regular levels? Like, once you beat that days levels, you can keep going past the gold cup for a platinum or diamond cup? That would mean needing a lot of new level segments, but it would be a cool way to up the challenge without messing with the general algorithm or making people feel like they are missing something if those levels are not unlocked.