Universal Leap Day (by Nitrome)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, May 11, 2016.

1. Nitrome

Nitrome Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    @Slewis7 I assume you mean the 12th? (It's the 13th here now). One of the Nitrome team did a playthrough of the day without using any checkpoints! You could look at that for a technique on how to pass it: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vmtNSfTD_QU

@ste86uk the Fruit cup was added quite late in development. People wanted rewarding for getting all the fruit so we put it in. That's now led to people finding fault with the premium checkpoints being harder on the fruit collectors out there. So we might update how it works in premium but we don't want to annoy people who like it how it is. We're thinking maybe of having a side room still but with no ads or fruits required...just a switch to hit. Would that seem a good solution to you?

2. smes3817

smes3817 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Massachusetts, USA
    I can't believe that video stops before I can see what a 'no checkpoint' run stamp looks like! I'm positive the best I'll ever see is my 100% fruit run stamps.

3. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the tips, folks - I got it! I love this game!!

4. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    With the level of polish as usual for Nitrome, endless content, great music and easy one tap controls in portrait mode, this is the perfect mobile game. Will this get repetitive at any point? That would be my only concern and its a mild one. How many new levels can really be generated and will the game continue to add new elements?

5. Nitrome

Nitrome Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    @Brawwwn: There is a lot of content in the game. There are 50 elements in the game and between 700-800 hand crafted level chunks. level chunks with enemies can also use multiple enemies too and they can be dressed as any theme so that varries things further. So while it might eventually get a bit repedative we hope that we have done enough that it won't happen any time soon.

Also we hope that if it remains popular enough that the game will be updated with even more elements and chunks over time too so hopefully it will always remain fresh enough for people to be able to keep enjoying it.

6. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    What about adding a return to last checkpoint button? Like the restart but it takes you to the previous checkpoint. Or maybe a door at the premium checkpoint that takes you back to the previous one?

7. Brawwwn

Jul 30, 2015
    You guys are amazingly responsive and in my opinion one of the best developers on fhe app store. That's good to me. Even if it does get repetitve after a while I probably won't even notice.

8. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Makes sense to me. It would also allow premium players to get the achievements for passing checkpoints (unless you've already got a solution for that!)

I'm gonna hold off on the IAP for now if it will mean that checkpoints are automatic.

9. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Yep.

10. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    An early GOTY to year to me! Serously, a perfect mobile game. Amazing presentation, simple controls, challenging but fair, everything is flawless. I'm coming back each free minute. love today's (13th) music, reminds me of old Chris Hülsbeck (Turrican) stuff for some reason.

11. TDA

TDA Active Member

Feb 28, 2013
    I love this idea! I will buy the iap as soon as this is implemented. Getting all the fruit is a fun challenge, and hopping into the other room to open the chest is kinda fun. Love the game, thanks!

12. poopguy69

poopguy69 Active Member

Nov 14, 2015
    I've been having a blast with this game the past few days! The difficulty is perfect. Controls and level design are very well done. I was a huge fan of platform panic, so this was a no brainer. Having a new level every day gives this game a massive amount of content. I'm looking forward to playing more :)

13. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    Pretty stressful but also gooooood! You should try it at least.

14. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Yep, super stellar release. Deserving of gotw!

15. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Love the premium unlock purchasing as soon as pay day hits. This and rust bucket are stellar games you guys are awesome!

16. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Are all levels the same for everyone? If so this one was pretty easy except the very last spot on it. I got through until last stage in under 5 minutes and been stuck here for 20
    Lol

17. Brawwwn

Jul 30, 2015
    Yeah. You clear the fire platforms on checkpoint 2 and you're like hell yeah and then it's like oh ####.

18. Kimchisoju

Kimchisoju Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Caregiver
    So far so good!

Got all the fruit for three days and the first day, I messed up on. I plan to get these levels done within 1-2 hours at night so I don't have to worry about them during the day

19. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    This game's mood reminds me Taito's games like Rainbow Islands, The NewZealand Story and Liquid Kids. And Jaleco's Rodland, too.

20. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012

Your pic is too cute, everytime I see it, I wanna pinch those cheeks.

Great game, yet I kind of am starting to wish Nitrome changes up there art style a tad bit.