Universal Leap Day (by Nitrome)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, May 11, 2016.

1. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Holy shit. And with this response I just spent $3.99.

You guys really know how to make games!

Billy

2. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Super awesome!!! Thanks!!!

3. atchoo

atchoo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 20, 2015
    Bassano del Grappa
    Wow, this is *perfect* mobile gaming, I insta-bought the premium IAP after ten seconds.

4. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Fruit cups are stupid hard get, if you miss one by jumping up a floor on accident you can't get back down to go get it and the reset seems to start the whole level again not just from the last checkpoint.

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Simply die and continue from a checkpoint.

6. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Yeh but sometimes you can't like on the level I completed I got 96% most of what I missed was just below a checkpoint floor so can't die to go back.

7. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    The controls irk me. I don't have anything against one-tap games when it's linear, and there's a challenge to tap at the right timen. But these levels leave me wanting just a teeny bit more control. Parts of the levels have various ways of progressing; I could stomp the enemy, or I could walk-jump over. Yet when my character gets there it turns into a fumbling guess as to whether my guy will be in the right place or not.

I'm not suggesting a d-pad and 3 buttons. But something as simple as "tap to short-jump, and hold to long-jump" would be welcome. Or being able to swipe to change direction would add a lot needed control.

No one does art as charming or as colorful as you, Nitrome. I've downloaded all your releases just to check out what new worlds you've created. But the actual gameplay has always left something to be desired.

8. Wicked8146

Wicked8146 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 17, 2009
    Dinosaur hunter
    Los Angeles
    This game is fun and addicting. The graphics are awesome. It's what a mobile game should be. Great job!

9. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Not sure, if you, guys from Nitrome, read this, but I just want to say - congrats on featuring from @happymagenta, well deserved :)

10. Gluskap

Gluskap Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I wish premium unlock could be less then $4. I would buy it if I live in US or in top EU countries but in our currency it means too much. =(

So you have to die on purpose before activate a checkpoint (in short: skip it) if there is any fruit you left below. That's one of the design choices I guess and you can play the level from start.

11. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    I also spent the iAP in no time! Just so worth it.

12. zinkdogg

zinkdogg Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Yeah, I got to the second or third checkpoint and just nabbed the IAP. Good thing I did, I don't think I would be able to perfect each level the day of.

I love Nitrome's style. Sometimes I wish they'd make a full fledged sidescroller platformer. Every game usually leaves me wanting more( which isn't a bad thing). I really can't complain about getting a new level every day.

13. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    May 13 in the bag! :D Some extremely rage inducing sections... I'm lookin' at you Checkpoints 4 to 1!!!

14. zinkdogg

zinkdogg Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Hey Nitrome, any plans on adding alternate characters/skins to Leap Day? Maybe as a reward for collecting 100% fruit or having a flawless run.

15. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Grrrrrr I finished today's level (13 May) with 99% completion, I somehow missed a fruit somewhere... and I made sure to double check every platform before activating the next checkpoint. The last part was brutal and infuriating... can't believe I'll have to replay it later today :/

16. Gluskap

Sep 12, 2015
    Just perfected May 13 (100%). F*ck the last part!

17. Nitrome

Nitrome Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    @HappyByte aka Happy Magenta: Of course we're reading....what game dev is so in vain as to not check the forums for their own game on the top mobile review site! We love your games too and in particular the last three have all been knockouts! Tomb of the Mask was my fav so far and your Into the dim has influenced a lighting effect in a game were making....quite different look but same technique :) Keep being awesome guys!

@Zinkdogg: More characters have been discussed throughout development. We culled the idea as just getting it working involved a ton of content and this could go but we would love to add it as an update. We're considering possibly rewards for numbers of cups or coins for jumping on enemies that you use to pay for them.

@Modjular: Sorry you don't dig the controls but we're super happy with them. We think we got a lot of control from a one tap mechanic and it's casual enough an input that you can play anywhere at any time. That was our aim with this as the core idea was the daily element and we wanted controls that would compliment that.

If your to play it daily we wanted to make it as easy as possible to stick to that. We wanted to make a game you could play on the move with one hand. We would love to think it might become part of some people's daily routeen and they might play it daily on the commute to work or school for example.

We're certainly all for having more control in a different game though. We try different things for different games. One game we have in dev at the moment gives full control over the character with no auto running in for example.

@everyone: thanks for all your kind comments! It means a lot for devs to hear such generally positive feedback.

18. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Any tips for the very last section of today's level? It seems impossible.

19. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Still enjoying the game as annoying as some bits are trying to pass them! I purchased the iap pretty quickly as I can see the game is worth keeping around on my device. My only wish is being able to reset back to the previous checkpoint it's a bit brutal having to do the whole level again for a couple of fruits you missed. Since buying the iap it auto saves at checkpoints and sometimes you miss a fruit and jump into the checkpoint at the same time.

20. Gluskap

Sep 12, 2015
    You have to jump to the left section using right wall when 4 blade things are all the way left.