Universal Leap Day (by Nitrome)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, May 11, 2016.

1. Kimchisoju

Kimchisoju Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2015
    Male
    Caregiver
    #21 Kimchisoju, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: May 11, 2016
    I didn't get a gold stamp! I just got a red circle!

I made it through the levels but didn't get all the fruit. So i didn't get the stamp! Just a red circle :-( but oh well! Waiting for round two tomorrow. Just a question, will there be prizes for ones that play a whole month or every three months or something? I think that would be nice

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    How incredible is the May 12 soundtrack? (Yes, it's almost 1 am here right now)

Seriously...I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

Crown and apples on both the May 11 and 12 levels. 23 hours to go. :(

3. Brawwwn

Brawwwn Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2015
    So who is the asshat who gave this a low rating?

4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I was wondering this too?
    Really great game. Has a colorful Bean's quest vibe to it.

5. Nitrome

Nitrome Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    Level generation is based on a seed created using the days date. It generates levels using that and a bunch of level chunks and rules.

It will always be able to make a new level for ever more without needing to download new data so no we don't need to support it.

That's not to say we wouldn't support it though. We have a ton of ideas of where we would like to take the game of the interest is there to support it.

6. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Wow now this is a fun game! I'm definitely getting an arcade vibe. It almost reminds me of bubble bobble in a way. Really nice job on this one Nitrome!

Billy

7. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Great game, great concept...

1) Is there no iCloud or Game Center sync? I completed the first level on my iPad, then downloaded the app on my iPhone but it didn't sync with the iPad.

2) I completed the first level with 74% - When I use fruits for checkpoints, does it deduce them from the completion percentage? I didn't know there was a completion based on percentage. Can you replay the level and try to fully complete it?

3) Daily notifications for new daily levels would be nice, I mean not at midnight but at noon %local time% or something. A lot of people have many games in rotation on their phones and tablets and it can get a bit hectic, sometimes I even forget I have some games waiting to be played so a little reminder would be nice.

8. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    This is awesome!!! I would like to have a pause button.

9. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I didn't get all the fruit partially because I was too lazy but also because I hoped there'd be a time reward.
    There might be but maybe I missed it?
    Probably going to go for 100%fruit tomorrow if I have the patience.

Congrats Nitrome on pulling off a great idea. I will be looking forward to opening the game at least once a day to check it out.

10. Lenzoj

Lenzoj Member
    Patreon Silver

Sep 21, 2014
    #30 Lenzoj, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
    I noticed in the May 11th level, there was the little scene where the two guys are watching tv and it shows tomorrow's level. And when midnight hit (May 12) I went to play and was happy to see that it actually was showing today's level in that scene from the 11th level.

So my question is, do the seeds that generate the levels, also generate what the day afters level will be in order to match that scene?

So will tomorrow level be an water type setting based off the little snippet shown in today's level?

11. Nitrome

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    Thanks for your comments everyone! Some replays in no particular order:

No there's no iCloud sync....maybe in an update.

Yes if you replay a level and do better the best run stands do if you had gold but then get the fruit crown you will get that stamp instead.

Fruit are not deducted from the 100% when you use them for checkpoints.

Only a red circle with no stamp after finishing a level? Well that shouldn't happen! Well have to add it to our bugs list!

12. rza422

rza422 Active Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Cracking game as always from Nitrome, even if I can't quite do the last section of today's challenge!
    In more randoms news it appears to have fixed my Game Center bug! Hasn't been working for about 3 weeks but after starting the game the logged in banner popped up and it's now working across all games on my device. Will be making an iap on pay day to say thanks for that!

13. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    This game is sooooo good. Easily one of Nitrome's best. And that's saying something. I'm having a blast.

14. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    No joke. This is one of the best platformers on iOS. Everything feels so good!

15. Peterplodocus

Peterplodocus Active Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Awesome game!

I'm normally bad at these games and die a lot, but it seems to be expected in this game! I love that there's no timers or lives, which makes it an enjoyable experience and allows me to practice and perfect each level segment.

Each level segment is nicely balanced - they're short enough so that they're challenging but not frustratingly long.

There are a lot of ads (maybe I'm just that bad at it!) so I'll probably end up getting the IAP. A new level every day makes it well worth it though!

Highly recommended

16. Den Den

Den Den Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Got my 2 fruit crowns, so good. This game won't leave my devices.

Devs, I hope you seriously consider implementing iCloud support, it's a must for a game with such longevity IMHO.

17. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Just curious, is this game completely online then? You can't play without it contacting the server to get the next level? And if I don't play for a month do I get a month worth of levels when I log back in? Or is it literally only one level a day? Those are the only things that really concern me.

18. Nitrome

Jul 17, 2012
    Managing Director
    London, UK
    @L.Lawliet No online connection is required. The levels are not being pulled from a server they are generated using the days date as a seed. If you leave the game and come back after a month there will be a months worth of levels for you to play. Any levels you did not play on the day however will be locked and you have to watch and ad or have the iAP to unlock them.

19. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Holy crap, you guys thought of everything. :)

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Thanks for the response! I guess it's about time for me to get the game then :)