League of [Epic] Heroes coming soon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by lazypeon, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey87

Joey87 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Executive
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    I like this game a lot, but i'm still trying hard to get through the first dungeon...XD

Any tips? I did like 3 tries, with 3 different heroes, and i've killed all the monsters that can be killed, but i'll never have enough level and potions to last me until the last boss....XD I prolly just..sucks.

(I'll drop you my feedback on the game later :D)

2. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Apart from what I already signaled via pm and other raised ... I would like to stress that a save while playing is needed apart from the implicit one when quitting.

This game is very simple in appearances .... but requires quite some thinking actually. I love it!

3. Joey87

Joey87 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Executive
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    I agree. It definitely needs a save-now-and-continue-later button.

4. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I outlined some tips earlier in the thread, but here are a few:

- Always attack the highest level monster you can beat. The higher the difference between your level and the enemy's level, the more bonus XP you get. You need to get to Level 8-9 before the boss is usually beatable.

- When you level-up, you fully recover health and mana. This is actually pretty key. If you're close to gaining a level, leave low level enemies alone. Find a big enemy and attack him until you can't anymore. Then, go and kill low level enemies to level up. Your health/mana will be restored, and then you can go finish the higher level monster for more XP.

- Pay attention to your character's abilities and think about how it changes the strategy. Again, the most important thing is to attack high level enemies to gain XP quickly. Most/all of the classes have some ability that helps them take down enemies higher than themselves.

- Exploration is the primary way to recover health/mana, so you should consider it 'sacred'. Always minimize the amount you need to explore, and explore only when necessary.

- Pick a race that complements your class. Some races benefit certain classes more. Does your class have super effective health potions? Pick Undead, which can convert unneeded runes into health potions. Do you have attack bonuses? Might as well go all out and pick Orc, which gives bonuses to attack.

- The runes (spells) are randomly selected each time, but Fireball is guaranteed to always spawn. Use fireball to whittle down enemies before attacking.

A note to testers: I just did a build which uses single-click to move and centers the camera on the hero. You can still pan around. I think it will address a lot of the issues with double-tap movement. I like it a lot :) I'll post another build later and send out an email with the details, if you'd like to try it out.

Hope that's helpful :)

5. lazypeon

Patreon Bronze

I actually had Save & Quit at one point, but decided it was unnecessary because of the implicit close/quit/resume. Do you think it's necessary for 'piece of mind' (knowing that the game has a save functionality) or are you thinking of a specific use-case?

6. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    I think it is always best to have one. For example I made a mistake leaving the game in the wrong moment ... Hence I neee to restart.

Btw, I would love to try the new build ....

7. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Also I would like a zoom out function so I can see the whole field.

8. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Why? I don't understand. If you just exit the app, it is supposed to save for you. How would a "save while playing" be different?

I think you don't need to restart when you exit the game. I think it's supposed to take you back to where you were. Is it not working?

9. lazypeon

Patreon Bronze

Yeah, there is a 'Continue' feature which does exactly that, although I don't currently support iOS4 multi-tasking/quick-start, so it might create some confusion around the fact that you can continue from where you left off. It's on my TODO list.

10. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Well, I like to try things and not be forced to quit to save my state.
    I am sure I am not the only one playing in this way.

11. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Oh. Games like this generally don't allow save and reload because it makes the game too easy if you can try something and retry something else if it didn't work. I could imagine having an "easy" or "cheat" mode where you could do that, but it might be too much trouble to implement.

12. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Ok. Than forget my comment.

13. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
  14. Tommi654

Tommi654 Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2009
    Don't you think betatesters shouldn't do that?

15. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    The thing about Roguelikes and Dungeon Crawlers is they usually don't have a save as you go feature. It should save when you quit - or get a phone call or multitask, but you should not have a manual save lest the saving gets misused and takes away the point of the game.

I guess the bottom line with that is if you are really trying to make a dungeon crawler or an rpg. My initial thoughts were it was a dungeon crawler which is why there is only the save on quit function. Now all the things you accumulate are saved when you lose so you start the next round with whatever gear you find, etc. But you do start from the beginning. My understanding is though that you unlock a dungeon and that dungeon is open to you forever, it is not taken away.

So it is a bit of a cross between the rpg and the dungeon crawler in that it allows these things to be carried over to your next play through but unlike an rpg where you can save after every battle and if you lose you can just load a previously saved game this forces more strategy.

I did not get the connection between exploring new areas and regaining health - I thought it was just walking that restored the health. Big DUH on my part so now I will play with a different strategy knowing that.

16. lazypeon

Patreon Bronze

I actually told all the testers that it was OK to share screenshots/videos/info about the game so no worries :) It helps get the word out about the game, which is really important since the app store is so crowded/competitive.

17. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    I could not get this to load but we are allowed to share information about the game if I understood the email correctly. I don't know though what is in that file since it wouldn't download.

Maybe @Epox if this is a game play video you cut it down to a size that you tube accepts?

18. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Ahh thats a problem I used a Cydia app to record it and if i change the size the video becomes really slow. You need quicktime player to open the .mov file

19. lazypeon

Patreon Bronze

Epox's video worked for me, so I uploaded. It's a little choppy since I think it was recorded on the device itself (must be one of the cool jailbreak toys :)) but I'm also planning to work on a higher quality gameplay video soon, recorded form the simulator. I'll post that as well once it's complete.

20. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

enjoying the game so far. seems simple at first but offers quite a bit of depth. I think the text could be a little clearer though. maybe slightly bigger too.