League of [Epic] Heroes coming soon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by lazypeon, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slaysme

Slaysme Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Game is pretty fun! Interface could use some tweaks, but is quite playable as is. I must say, I dislike the double tap to move. Too often I find myself hitting the dwarf instead on my target. Maybe extend trigger area out a square or so out? Great fun already though! Readers, keep an eye on this one!

2. sk47z

sk47z Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    wow i like the game esp those heroes potrait. never come accross smth like this hehe. it's fun and addicting. keep on tapping until now haha. but still stuck in dungeon 1 :( cos never can fight through when i got to lvl 7. run out of mana n life. n no path to open to heal up :( think i play somewhere wrongly. i have to replay again! MUST get to the next dungeon hahaa

btw the double tap really is an issue. oweys mistakenly tap my character instead and brought up the rune slot which is quite frustrating. maybe make the slot bigger or smth? tink would be good playing in ipad as the screen is bigger...

3. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    The game only few tweaks and the. It it ready.

4. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Yea, I like the game so far. I only have a problem with the controls - my giant fingers don't like 'em; also, it's quite easy I think.

More coming soon.

5. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    A weird aspect I didn't get at first but only adds to the charm is that life and mana are only regenerated as you explore new areas...so it is best to leave areas uncovered as long as possible if you want to heal up later from a big fight...

6. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    Yes ... This aspect forced me to restart a game ...and I was level 8! :eek:

7. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    Through my multiple play-throughs I could never finish the level. I reach level 7 or 8, and then I've explored the entire dungeon, and I just can't beat any more enemies.

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I found playing a wizard made things pretty easy! They have fewer hp than other classes but pack a nasty first strike allowing you to take most folk out on your first hit!

9. ying123

ying123 Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Auditor
    Singapore
    Am I the only one experiencing crash whenever I try to attack bosses in 3rd dungeon?
    By the way I used the equipment bug (which I already reported through email) to reach 3rd dungeon in short time. I hope that is not the reason for crashes:eek:

10. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    Guess that just means that the game's out of balance. When playing rogue and warrior I felt like I had no possible way of winning.

11. Rivozzz

Rivozzz Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    im interested in this game... i want to know what is the expected time for release?

12. sk47z

sk47z Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    same for me as well.. now just fully recharge my battery n trying again.. hopefully can get through this time

13. sk47z

sk47z Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    ok this attempt finally i pass dungeon one. unloack a new hero but cannot be chosen to use him.. is it normal? anyone tried to use the new hero?

14. ying123

ying123 Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Auditor
    Singapore
    I've unlocked all heroes and tried all of them. No problem for me though

15. sk47z

sk47z Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    #35 sk47z, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
    ok after finish dungeon 2 the hero can be chosen di. guess it's ok now.
    ok i got a bug now. opening new grids will not recover my life but only mana.

16. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    #36 Epox, Nov 6, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
    Just finished dungeon 1. This game is epic! I wish there was an option for a joystick though cause sometimes its hard to double tap. I am level 3 sorcerer

17. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Double-tap is probably the most common criticism. I think the reason I went this route was because with the panning functionality (being able to pan around the map) it becomes difficult to determine when the user wants to pan and when they want to move. I'll see if I can come up with a better solution than double tap though.

It takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it should be pretty easy to win with any class. I usually save all my potions for the bosses, and only explore when it's necessary. If you try to fight enemies slightly higher than you, you get bonus XP which helps you level up faster. You can usually defeat the boss by Level 8 or so. Lastly, you fully recover health and mana when you level, which you can use to your advantage.

Exactly. This is actually one of the most interesting mechanics from Desktop Dungeons, where the designers treat 'exploration as a resource'. I thought it was a pretty unique mechanic to build the game around.

It's usually beatable by 7 or 8, if you have a few potions. Good use of the level-up health recovery, using runes effectively to whittle down bosses, etc... usually is enough to win.

I'll take a look at the balance. Most of the classes I think are fairly well balanced, though the strategy varies. The Rogue is actually one of my favorite classes. Coldblooded (increased damage at the cost of health) and Ambush (first strike) is a really powerful combination that allows you to take down enemies that you shouldn't ordinarily be able to kill. First strike means you're able to attack first -- if you're able to kill the enemy, they don't even get to counterattack. It usually makes sense to seek out low HP enemies with the Rogue that are higher level than you, and kill them for bonus XP.

Picking the right race is also important. The Rogue works well with Orc, with further increases damage if you 'recycle' your unneeded runes.

Release is TBD, but hopefully soon. I'm mainly focused on bugs at this point. I'm shooting for November, but might be early December.

If I'm understanding correctly, no -- you should be able to use them. I'll double-check and make sure all the unlocks work properly.

It's possible that you're poisoned. Poison prevents health regen and mana burn prevents mana regen. You can cure either using a potion. Several people reported this 'bug', so I'm looking at some ways to make it more obvious when you're affected by negative status effects -- maybe coloring the character green or something.

Thanks for all the great feedback here and by email. I just got my coffee and am going to spend the next few hours addressing all the bugs/suggestions :)

18. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    How do you save in-game?

19. KoolKing

KoolKing Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Valrico, FL
    I also found the double tap quite tedious as well as swiping to pan around the level. I was thinking about this last night and I think it may work better if the character is always relatively centered on the screen and the map moves in the background. Movement could be controlled by swipe.

Everything runs smoothly on the iPad and, even at 2x, the graphics are nice and clear. I think it's preferable on the iPad as well as your taps do not have to be as precise.

So far I have only encountered a couple of bugs on the iPod 2G. In one game I was unable to use any runs with my warrior. I had collected a full three and could not pick up any more but every time I tapped the character, nothing would happen. During my second game, when equipping the character, I chose to deselect one icon and it disappeared from the characters inventory. However the icon did not reappear on the bottom selection part. This happened twice. Once with a selection of swords and the next time with the leather cap and a book.

It also seems that the randomization of enemies might be a little too aggressive. In my first game I had very few level 1 or 2 enemies to battle. This made it incredibly hard to level up without using all the potions really early. The second game had a much better balance and I probably would have won that one had I not accidentally used a run that transferred HP to MP when I only had one HP left. In effect, it was possible to actually commit suicide in the game! :p

Overall, I find the game VERY enjoyable and the art style is wonderful. There have been no crashing bugs on either device. Excellent work so far.

20. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Initial impressions:

Love the style and the simplicity of the game. After reading what it was based on I can see it all come together nicely. I was a little confused when I didn't see the monsters moving around. But I figured out that it fell into more of a puzzle aspect that way.

Screams for a leaderboard with the scoring!

Bug / Issue
    - Text does not appear fully visible. Top section is behind the hero info box and only slightly visible. Maybe have a text box that is see through? Not a huge issue though.
    - Red target / moving line looks like a minus at times. Once again not a huge issue but even after playing for a few minutes it looks distracting. Maybe a finely dotted line? Or something surrounding the selected boxes boarder? When the enemy health bars are the same color it also looks a bit off.The hero ui that comes up while tapping the hero can also get in the way visually.

Looks good, it is a unique concept and I love the polish that the game has on it already.