Universal Lead Wars - by DemonStudios

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DemonJim, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    This game is really awesome.

2. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    The £0.69 / $0.99 Black Friday Sale ends today! This is the only time the game has ever been 99c so grab it quick!

Tomorrow (2nd Dec) the game goes back to its normal price of £1.99 / $2.99.

Thanks so much to those who have bought and enjoy the game!

3. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    As a small Christmas bonus for a lucky few I've added 10 promo codes to my signature so get in there quick! (in sig so only registered members can see them).

These the the last of a batch I'll be giving away on TA for a while - the rest (10 more) will be on Twitter @DemonStudios and Facebook over the next few days.

4. caanerud

caanerud Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Y43RJT9XE7AY thanks Jim. Very clever putting them in your sig.

5. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Took YRHHRW7LLFEF

Perpetually interested, never mustered enough courage to purchase it.

My impressions are likely to be WOOT DIS GAM IS AWEZOME! type affair. I can almost remember the amount of time I lost in primary school classes playing this type of games with my friends :D

6. Samulaan

Samulaan Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    Bali
    Tayrwkkpl9ht

At last,my first redeemed code, and an awesomen I'm sure, thanks Jim...

7. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #107 gunxsword, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
    Just like the real thing! Except everything is digital and conveniently drawn/placed/moved/removed for ya! :D Now I missed 'accidentally' messing entire battlefields with the rubber to invalidate an impeding defeat :p

Love the degree of randomness and pencil pushing technique that mimic the real thing so closely. However, I don't remember curved shots being able to curve around objects so effectively though :rolleyes: (it almost feels like cheating).

Wish the pencil can move faster to imitate the thrill of a flying (read: traveling) pencil.

Plus: drawing on paper never sounded so good :D

*Edit: I'm not too far into the tutorial but, can I rotate the paper?

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Good to see people still enjoying this. Possibly the best "relatively unknown" iOS game I've ever played.

9. PapaT

PapaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    UK
    Used JE3N6RJ4P6T4.

Many thanks.

10. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Yep curve shots were added to give that extra skill element and add variety - it is indeed pretty much impossible in real life, but is theoretically possible (if you could move at lightning speed / were Superman). The game effectively slows down time during the move, allowing the direction of slip to be changed mid-way through. I thought this added an element to the game the real version really would have benefitted from. So yes, it is a bit of an embellishment :)

I have always wanted to have the pencil fly off under physics when you release it (and fall if you let go and have it roll around freely on the paper) - this is something I definitely plan on revisiting for a future update.

Oh and yes the paper is fixed to the screen orientation, so to rotate the paper you need to rotate the device (the HUD will rotate to always be the right way up). This is because I found it would often suddenly rotate the paper when you don't want it to (not ideal when you're in the middle of taking a shot!)

Great to hear new people are still discovering and appreciating the game!

11. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    I love the sound effects (PEW!) but it would be nice to hear some more serious SFX... just sayin' :D

The game cannot sound more realistic to the real game but it's a game so, explosions with clanking metal plz? :p

12. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Thanks for the feedback - suggestion noted :) Fans of the comedy sound effects fear not though as they won't be changing any time soon!

One idea I would like to do though is add the ability to record your own verbal sound effects (as well as draw your own units etc.), so effectively you would be able to have realistic sounds. So much I would like to do, so little time :)

Right, last four promo codes have just been added to my signature so if you missed out grab one quick! (or see @DemonStudios twitter for a few more).

13. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    BEST.SOLUTION.EVER.

My large collection of RTS/RTT games would have more than enough explosive sound effects to satisfy. It would be great if an option to edit/cut the recorded audio will be great.

14. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Just picked this up based solely on developer's taste in driving games. Only finished the tutorial so far, but at this point the game seems fantastic. Looking forward to getting my teeth into it proper, and some multiplayer. Does this get a decent amount of play online? Is it easy to find a game?

15. Darth Elevator

Darth Elevator Active Member

Jan 10, 2012
    I heard about this game, so I bought it yesterday. Awesome game! Captivating. I can't stop playing it. Tutorial was perfect and quickly got me up to speed on the game controls. Still working my way through the campaign mode, but I'm loving it.

Still waiting for asynch online games with random opponent to start. I guess I didn't select the right combination of settings that is common enough to have found an opponent with the same settings. Anyone have any success with certain combinations of settings that have been more successful in finding online opponents?

Great idea! I like it.

16. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Cheers! You'll be glad to know I'm currently working on an instant replay feature for v1.4, so you'll be able to replay all the moves/shots for the latest turn (and at the start of your turn replay your opponent's entire turn).

Instant replays will work in online async too (which is something sorely lacking in the current async mode). This is thanks to Apple recently upping the async save limit (previously 4kb just wasn't quite enough for the all the map data and all 10 potential pencil flicks that can be made in a single turn). Just a shame I couldn't fit it in from the start.

I'm also adding an options switch to disable posting-to-Leaderboard (mainly so I can play it online without dominating the top spot or having to deliberately lose the battle!)

I should finish this update by the end of the month so expect v1.4 to be out early/mid March.

As long as you didn't turn on any of those three setup-restriction switches at the top, especially the 'exact number of units' switch, you should be good to go. Unfortunately it's not getting many online players at the moment - I hope the addition of full turn replays fixes that though!

Out of interest here's the game's update history - as you can see it's come on quite a long way since the first release:

Lead Wars Update Revisions:
    • v1.4 (Mar '12) - Added instant replays
    • v1.3 (Nov '11) - Added Asynchronous online multiplayer
    • v1.2 (Jul '11) - Added Single-player Campaign and Rank insignias
    • v1.1 (Apr '11) - Added Single-player vs-CPU mode and Map Creator
    • v1.0 (Nov '10) - Featured multiplayer only (local and Live online)

17. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    US itunes only? :(

18. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    #118 DemonJim, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
    Lead Wars is available in all App Stores worldwide.

This link should open it in iTunes: http://itunes.com/apps/LeadWars

Does the link in my signature/first post not work? It should take you to the iTunes preview webpage, which just defaults to US, but the "View in iTunes" button on that page should open iTunes and take you to it for all regions. Please let me know if that's not the case!

19. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Great news Lead Wars fans - v1.4 has just been approved and is live on the App Store!

This update adds Instant Replays - so now you can watch your opponent's entire turn (a feature much requested in online asynchronous games), and replay your current turn over and over to relive that amazing ninja shot round a wall!

Simply tap the new 'R' button at the top to start an instant replay at any time.

I think you'll like how it changes to a skip button too, where it jumps to the start of the next action in the replay sequence. This should make sense when you try it - hopefully it's pretty intuitive. Let me know how you get on :)

20. DemonJim

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Another update for Lead Wars just went live!

What's New in v1.4.1:
    • Full Retina display support for the new iPad (3rd gen)
    • Added detail to push Notifications showing opponents' names.
    • Added ability to save custom maps from online games.
    • MUCH nicer on-screen buttons!
    • Fixed excessive Game Center popup messages on app resume.
    • Other minor bug fixes and improvements.