Universal Le Parker: Sous Chef Extraordinaire (By Play Pretend)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 2, 2016.

1. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    #61 NinthNinja, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    I really want to love this game but I agree about the clunky controls. Not as good as other well known platform games on iOS. For instance sometimes I press to go left and go right instead.

Also, with jumping on the baddies heads seems a bit awkward as well... it should just feel natural but it does not.

The graphics and sound are awesome. The only thing that lets the graphics down is the framerate update. On an iPhone 6 it stutters a bit. You guys were so close to getting this right and I feel that the bits of game mechanics that make a great platform game are missing at the moment or not as fine tuned as they could be. I hope you can correct these issues because I really want to love this game.

Edit:

After reading a few more posts on the subject of difficulty, I don't mind it been super hard so long as the controls work natural... I think if you guys tweak the controls then the game can be lots better.

Edit Again:

I can tell you what is wrong with the controls... When you put your thumb down to move left or right and say you are going right your thumb can actually travel to half way across the screen and still move right. This is correct but what is not correct is I have to go all the way back across the screen to register a left. What you need to do is reset the centre of the control area once you get beyond a certain distance so that when I want to go left my thumb will not have to travel too much across the screen to register a left.

Hopefully this is some use to you.

2. playpretend

playpretend Active Member

#62 playpretend, Dec 9, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    We’re currently adjusting difficulty to better balance Le Parker, particularly in the early game — this includes the removal of some enemies, changing some two hit enemies to single hit enemies, and possibly including a heart-up every fifty macarons.

We’re exploring ways to keep the game really effin’ hard and keeping people invested and learning - we are considering allowing gamers to jump between worlds from the get-go. This would allow you to explore Forest, Desert, Cave, or City right from the beginning. Parker may become a pick-you-poison platformer. Stay tuned.

Like with most things relating to Le Parker, haha, we hear extremely polarized comments about the control — some users find it clunky, others tell us it is extremely responsive and precise. This is super super subjective, and in our tester’s experience you need the control to be accurate enough to land and slippery enough to remain totally fluid and avoid obstacles, particular in the late game. We have iterated on control for years — including the example you mention here — we hear you and we want to find a way to make this work for you and for the other half. I promise — we want you to love the game you want to love.

In the meantime — here are a couple more playthroughs:

https://youtu.be/E5TSg8KPJuM

https://youtu.be/02knb8Ge5V4

3. HEAVY

HEAVY Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I think if the game had more check points and like four hearts instead of two, it would be great. Then I won't be scared to die and if I do die it's no biggie because I have a check point. I think what's most frustrating is you can spend so much time progressing on a level and then you have to start all the way over if you get far ahead. There's no reward for progression, it feels like you have "one shot" on each life and well that just doesn't add up to good fun for some people. I understand the difficulty / challenge aspect... it just might be swinging so much in that direction that some don't like the taste.

4. KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers

KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    The more I play, the more this moves up my ALL-TIME greatest ios games list. And I've played em all.

Yes, it is hard. Very hard. But, that's in part what makes it so rewarding. I suppose it could use a tweak of ease here and there to perhaps improve the overall game.

I've finished World 1-1 through 1-8, and have all achievements (except the macaroons on 1-8...I'm petrified to even try to go for that)

Game reminds me a lot of MOS Speedrun 2... both in terms of the general game-play, but also in that there are 4 specific "achievements" - passing level, passing with speed-time, collecting all macaroons, and collecting the special "hidden" item. Very similar. I thought MOS 2 was near-perfect. This is gaining on it. MOS 2 was tough towards the end. Very tough. This is harder. Time will tell if I get frustrated by that, but through first 8 levels, I am enjoying it immensely. Finishing a level can be difficult, but not overly so. Doing it in the "speed time" is really, really challenging (except strangely for 1-7...finished 17 seconds ahead). But that challenge is what makes it incredible. Figuring out how to get the special item in 1-7, for example, was amazing. I knew "where" it was, but took me awhile to figure out how to get to it.

A++ game.

5. KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers

KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    I stand corrected... getting all the macaroons and the special item in level 1-8 much easier than I thought... with one little trick.

6. playpretend

One of our favorites, haha.

7. neca

neca Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    How are plans coming to lower the iOS 10 requirement??

8. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I second this question!

9. playpretend

Hey folks, thanks for the interest. We are actively trying to reduce the requirement and are quite close. We have an update with some game tweaks coming soon and are trying to bundle the iOS9 requirement with it. Can't guarantee it will be in the next update, but hopefully real soon.

Will keep you posted!

10. neca

neca Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Thanks!! I like devs that are so active and listen to users, will keep heads up for the update!

11. Joycastle

Joycastle Member

Oct 24, 2016
    SoundTrack!!!

The in-game soundtrack is sooooo great!!!!!!
    Although the game's control is kinda hard for me, especially the jump button, I usually tap the button twice/hold it longer to jump higher but seems in this game it's hard for me to feel the difference.

Deleted it after first try (caused by the jump button) then decide to give it another try...
    Still trying to figure out the game pace....

12. playpretend

#72 playpretend, Dec 22, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
    Hi, we can't know for certain what you're experiencing, but the trick is generally to time your second tap to the apex of your jump, or use that second tap as your coming down to control your landing. A lot of new folks tend to tap too hard or double tap too quickly to actually feel the extra reach. Once you get acclimated to it, we hope it gives you just the right amount of control to get through each of the many challenges!

Also! Happy you enjoy the tunes - we have a small selection of the tracks up on our soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/user-952681206

13. playpretend

Happy to announce that the next update coming soon is lowering the requirement to iOS 9!

14. neca

neca Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2010
    Thanks!! Looking forward to it!!

15. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #75 Intendro, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    "on sale $1"
    Another game for Christmas-

"requires iOS 10"
    Nooo-

...Yes. :)

16. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    Hurrah! Merci, Monsieur.

17. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Been looking for a game of this ilk since I finished Super Cat Tales and this one somehow missed my radar at release. Thanks for the bump, buying!

18. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    #78 Gurney Halleck, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    I still love to play Super Phantom Cat and I was getting a mix of Phantom Cat and The Other Brothers with a Culinary twist ;)

I also wait before updating OS until there is a compelling reason to and once any new inefficiencies, vulnerabilities and problems have been worked out. Often updating to new OS can make great hardware for the OS it launched win run less efficiently.

There are at least as many if not more reasons to refrain from an OS upgrade than to actually do it when using non-native hardware to the new OS. Usually new OS accompanies new hardware and so it is more focused on the functional parameters of new hardware, and less optimised for older hardware. (i.e. Upgrading to iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 murdered its performance... Anyway, back to Game!

After all that is said, 10 is getting pretty mature, I haven't heard many complaints about performance in 6S Hardware... This has me seriously tempted!

Can honestly say if not for the OS requirement I would own this already.

Decisions...

EDIT: I read about the new update coming to lower requirement to iOS 9! Awesome news!!

Anyone know how to buy the game on a device not yet running iOS 10?! I want to buy this now without updating!

19. SuperPlank

SuperPlank New Member

Dec 25, 2016
    Such a cute game!

20. noteatino

noteatino Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Buy it on your PC.