Universal Le Parker: Sous Chef Extraordinaire (By Play Pretend)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 2, 2016.

1. playpretend

playpretend Active Member

Hi ColeDaddy (and jpgold!) - sorry for the late reply! Challenge is central to the game's design and we're happy you've continued coming back. We hear you and we’re discussing a mode allowing for heart-ups every fifty macarons, which would be in addition to the extra life every 100 macarons. This all said, we'd like to keep the game really tough!

Sorry for this! This was a regression of code and other folks have reported the same issue. The good news is we've resolved the bug and an update will be on its way to the app store tonight. With any luck it should be approved and available within the next day or so. Sorry again for the hiccup.

2. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I have no issue with the level of difficulty, but was wondering if an extra level can be added for folks (like me) who may need an easier launch point into the game. However, I like your recommendation better.

3. redicius

redicius Active Member

May 8, 2014
    Too hardcore, few checkpoints, so you have to do the whole level again and again and I hate that so etimes I can go down, sonetines I die.. this is bad level design :-/
    Alse the blurry sides ane anoying and hard to watch.

4. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Good job you never played games from the 1980's. They never held your hand through the game.

5. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Can't get enough of this game.
    Anyone need a challenging platformer then look no further .

6. HEAVY

HEAVY Member

Aug 8, 2015
    The game is bad

7. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Bad? Or just too challenging for you?

8. HEAVY

HEAVY Member

Aug 8, 2015
    In my opinion it's bad haha. Making it super hard doesn't make it fun. Nor does making a game super easy make it good either. We all like balance. I just think the game isn't very fun.

9. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Game is very balanced. Challenging but not too hard in which I give up.
    But it's fun and has many different ways to play and try the levels over and over .
    Every game will have people that just don't like it for whatever reason so they quit .
    It's not your fault your just not into this game but to say "this game is bad" is obviously an opinion because I say this game is good.

I think they should ask Nintendo to port to the 3ds , it reminds me a lot like Mario.

10. Maverick

Maverick Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Absolute Gem. Top 5 Platformer

First of all, I rarely post - but the lack of TouchArcade community support for this AMAZING game astounds me. IMHO it is a top 5 iOS platformer and a GOTY nominee. Buy this game and show the developers some love, it is well deserved!

A few things that may help spread the word:

1) A mod should consider adding (platformer) to the thread title to help it gain more exposure in the community
    2) Where are all the platformer fanatics shouting from the rooftops (MetalCasket, syntheticvoid, AndyC, etc)?
    3) A glowing front page review from Jared (I'm assuming this is in the works)

Great work PlayPretend, I hope you find the success you rightly earned!

11. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I see both sides of it. Completely respect the fact that the devs want this game to be challenging, but for me at least, that fact takes away some of the enjoyment.

I think this game is amazing and love everything about it , except for the difficulty. Maybe I'm just not as good at platformers as I though haha.

I know its a matter of opinion, just as it's my opinion that I would enjoy it more if the difficulty was dialed down, but to say this game is "bad" is wrong. It's obvious how much work and love went into this game. It has a level of quality and polish that puts it in its own level with the likes of Oceanhorn and Wayward Souls in my book.

I'll stick with it though and look forward to playing this and future games from these guys.

12. HEAVY

HEAVY Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I am going to sound hilarious... but I like the "challenge" in games the same way that I like "spice" in my food. I love spicy food, but if it's too spicy, then I can't enjoy it. Haha. If the spice level is the only novelty in the food, then what's the point? That's how I feel about this game. The "challenge" or "difficulty" shouldn't be this game's calling card. Or maybe it is and people are into that kind of thing. I just think the game is frustrating. Only two hits and you die... no hearts you can collect to get more life through out the levels? Check points are brutal. Enemies walk aimlessly in patterns, and some are even on the same path, so one is in front and one is in back. Who does that ?? Also, what's the point of having "lives" in a game like this? If you lose all your lives you get sent back to the title screen and you select your save file and can pick up where you left off... you have LIVES just to send me back to the title screen? I don't get it. Just get rid of "lives" and if I die 34 times in one level just let me respawn 34 times until I beat the level. I know I sound like I'm complaining and well people are just going nuts about how good this game is and I'm just so annoyed when I play it haha. I feel like the hit boxes for jumping on enemies is also horrible. You jump on an enemy and sometimes still die # maybe I just suck at this game

13. KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers

KingOfPhysicsPuzzlers Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Heavy... you are being way too hard on the game.

I think it's amazing, and potentially in my top 5 for the year... IF: a) The "collecting all macaroons/special item/speed" fix is made (unplayable for me until that is done, as I am one of those that can't move to next level until I've completely finished a level); b) Could arguably use 1 more checkpoint per level. Any more would make it too easy. But, 2 per level would feel about right on the fair/difficulty scale; c) add a restart button, so don't have to go back to main start screen everytime.

But, it is excellent. And very, very well polished. I don't see how anyone who likes platformers wouldn't instantly love this.

14. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I'm on the fence with this one. I like a good challenge, and have been playing games for decades (and yeah, I grew up with the hardcore old NES, SNES, Sega and other systems when games were tough as nails). My issue is that I can't even pass the 2nd stage. Not saying the game has bad level design, but I do feel that maybe the "tough as nails" aspect should be a tad more gradual. The difficulty is pulling me out of the experience and I'm not feeling much motivation to continue. If this had happened further down the line, it would make sense. Instead I have a sense of dread about playing again and wondering that even if I do pass level 2, how infuriated am I going to become with level 3. I agree there needs to be some better balancing. Ultimately, games should pull gamers in, not alienate them. With all that said, this game has some excellent controls and visuals and I could see some refinement in the difficulty department opening this game up to more gamers.

15. HEAVY

HEAVY Member

Aug 8, 2015
    My thoughts exactly!! To me the levels feel super tedious than a fun challenge. And maybe I'm really wrong! But I want to like this game, I reallly do. But I can spend literally 6 minutes gathering macaroons, and then i jump on a guy but not at the corrrct angle apparently, and I die, and have to start all the way over because there aren't many checkpoints. Very infuriating. I don't want a game to be a cake walk, but at the same time I want to play it where every little move should have me fearful of having to start again. Who knows. Maybe I'm crazy.

16. playpretend

playpretend Active Member

Achievements! The bug that made achievements disappear has been fixed guys, and the update will be available on the App Store within the next few hours. Thank you for your patience! Please let us know if you have any additional issues here.

We hear you guys (more checkpoints, gentler ramp of difficulty, etc.) and we are taking things into consideration. We want gamers getting to late stages because we're really proud of them, and we want people replaying and revisiting early stage challenges (time-attack, macaron collection, and secrets) even after they've beaten the game.

We knew "tough-as-nails" wasn't for everyone while we were making this, but we are incredibly excited that you guys are still at it. We believe when the skill clicks for you, it will really click. When you develop true skill, you can run through the game on a single continue.

This was a childhood dream of ours, and when we were kids, you had three lives - you gained one here or there, and when you lost them all, you started from the beginning. No saves. You played and played, developing skill along the way - more skill with every death. And some games, you might never beat. There is a hard core to this puff pastry exterior. :)

17. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    I completely hear you and respect the fact that you guys are living out your dream and making the game you want to make....that is awesome. I grew up playing all those tough as nails games and hear you on that as well (won't date myself though haha).

That said, at this point in my life, I enjoy playing games during my commute to work... especially games like this. Had been following this for a long time and was really excited on launch. All my expectations were met when I played through that first level. Everything was perfect and took me back to the old days, but then it just got too tough even for me. I tried to stay with it as I think the game is amazing and has all the qualities in a good platformer. I'm up to level 7 and about to give up. The last three levels I've been finishing for the sake of finishing without focusing on any of the acheivements. I want to be able to enjoy this masterpiece, but I'm just not able to at its current difficulty. It almost seems like it's difficult just for the sake of being difficult. We all like a challenge and I am in no way looking for something easy, I'm just not enjoying it like it deserved to be enjoyed.

You definitely have a fan in me and understand that you want to make the game that you have always envisioned, but not sure how much longer I can keep at it.

I hope you take this in a good way vs a criticism as looking forward to what's next if this is your first go at it.

18. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I agree with you on the clunky controls. When he jumps it feels a bit difficult to land on the heads of the monsters. But to be honest, I usually just jump over them and keep moving toward the macaroons. I've also just gotten used to the clunky jumps and am really just engulfed by the aethetics of the game. The sound, the look, (I play with MFi) and the button sensitivity and layout.

Devs... it does seem to be difficult to land on enemies heads. They move pretty fast. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe a quick tap of the button will get me better results. I'm just scared of under jumping and face planting into an enemy. Also, the levels are pretty unforgiving, so to experiment with quick jumps may not always be worth it.

19. redicius

redicius Active Member

May 8, 2014
    Ok, deleted. Couldnt go thriogh the beginning of 1-4 and to be honest, I dont care anymore.
    I loved the design, the controlls feld good to. But its not fun to repeat the game after beeing dead in every 4 seconds.
    Changed to 1 star, I cant recommend this as far as its like few minutes fun and hours of frustration.

20. Jayg2015

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    This game is perfect for me. I understand what the game is about. When I want a normal platform game to play I switch to a different game but when I want a challeng I play this game.
    5stars