Universal Layton's Mystery Journey (by Level-5 Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Beth

Beth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 29, 2014
    Professional do-nothing'er
    Eastern usa
    I love that this is a premium full sized game that I can play on my iPad!
    I own all the previous Layton games, they one of my favorite series!
    Also, not 100% ...but I recall seeing mentioned somewhere this is going to have the downloadable daily puzzles ...like the previous Layton games.
    In my ideal world I would play all games on my iPad ..so this works perfectly for me :)

2. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I have a 3ds and have one of the games and love it. I now play my Switch more and iPhone / iPad so glad to see this and will likely buy it for iOS as I always have my iPhone or iPad not my Switch!

3. MobileOnTapYT

MobileOnTapYT Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2017
    Anyone know where puzzles 11, 12 and 13 are? Seem to have just missed them somehow?

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I've only played an hour but the quality is excellent. From the movies, to the way to scrolling works, and the interface. It definitely was "made for mobile" instead of a junky port you sometimes get. Really impressed with this company.

Earlier I said I wanted Japanese original voices and I still do BUT I'm actually liking the English voices. I realize their British accents in English better fit their location anyways. My only gripe is that some of the voices don't match the lips on the animation. It's possible the animations were just made to sync with Japanese and the English speakers had to try and fit in.

5. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Puzzle #2

Hey, everyone. Wow. This game is fantastic. It's only the second Layton game I've played and I forgot how devious and challenging the puzzles can be. It took me forever to figure out the first puzzle#. I'm on the second puzzle and stuck. Of course I could use the hint system but before I do, can anyone clarify the question? I just can't seem to understand what they mean by "touching." Can someone explain? Thanks in advance.

6. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Can anyone direct me to some video of this game in action? Thx

7. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Level-5 never deceived me, hahaha.

I think for this series the english voice is an amazing fit, especially since, like you said, theyre in London and they picked up VA with a british accent, it works perfectly with the setting. (I usually hate dubs too)

8. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Bought to support these kind of pricing on mobile. It is fair to pay as much we would pay on another platform. That's how we may get even greater games.

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Actually, the solution is right there in the word "touching." Think about what needs to happen for the clock to get to midnight.

Hint: it's a trick question.

10. Rosso

Rosso Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Update: it is. But not via the toucharcade link that normally works.

Not in the German store...

11. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I don't mind paying a premium price for games and I hope the whining about its price point dies down soon. We've been spoiled in the iOS ecosystem for years. If you don't agree with the price point, wait for a price drop. Most games drop in price, albeit at different times...sometimes weeks, sometimes months, sometimes years. A bit of a dice roll, I know, but it's better than moping on the site, kicking rocks down the street.

12. tekchic

tekchic Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    Female
    Software Developer
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mashed the Buy button as soon as I saw the article on TA last night. Not sure that I'm going to buy the other IAP yet, but I'm taking a day trip this weekend and figured it'd be fun to spin up some Layton. Normally I'd wait and buy the 3DS version, but I think this time around, I'd like to see it in prettier graphics than the 3DS -- at least for cutscenes, etc.

Looking forward to this one!

13. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Just bought all the IAP don't regret a thing this is a full hand held console experience on your device. Hopefully they will bring Ni no kuni or other rpgs to iOS some day

14. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Yes. After playing Dragon Quest VIII on my mobile, I quickly bought DQVIII on PS2 and Ni No Kuni on PS3. I love Level-5's work, developing and publishing. And I'd love to see RPGs or Inazuma 11 on mobile eventually.

15. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    If you bought the game be sure to check out the BONUS section and go to SPECIAL OFFERS, where it sends you to the website to do real world puzzles. I just started it but apparently you can get stuff in the game for doing them!

16. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    also can't believe you get a daily new puzzle every day for a year that's amazing 300+ puzzles

17. Tulki

Tulki Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2014
    #57 Tulki, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    How do the daily puzzles work? If you miss them can you still download them later? If you can miss them then that sucks, but if they actually plan to put out a bonus puzzle every single day and you can go back and download older ones then that sounds like crazy value for this price.

18. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Ok.. I'm in for sure!!! Geez... so cool!

19. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    #59 L.Lawliet, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
    I'm honestly not sure how they work but when I opened the daily puzzles and I was able to do that WHOLE chart. Is that like 30 or so puzzles? Some of those have 2+ puzzles in one slot. I'll have to see tomorrow if they swap all the puzzles, or if they add more, or if all those puzzles count as a month of puzzles. I'm a bit confused but it looks like a lot if you just want to pick up your game and solve some puzzles without playing the story.

An interesting thing to note is there is an incentive to do daily puzzles as they have their own items to collect when you solve puzzles and get points for a mini-museum. There's a lot of collecting here which I love!

Also according to Kotaku, they liked the game but they thought the puzzles were way easier than the previous games. I guess this is a good first game for me then :p though it could be a weak point to other people. But imo, even these "weak" puzzles have been the most fun I've had solving puzzles (and crime) on iOS :) Kotaku also said the writing is very good and they have a great translator for this one, which I can agree on.

They're HARD (Or I'm an idiot). I've solved like 2/10 on my own. But they link a feed from twitter so people give you the answers. Apparently it's like an international investigation team. Really cool! I'm not 100% sure but I think they put out these puzzles IN REAL TIME IN JAPAN, and then the rest of the world gets photos uploaded. So I guess in Japan, a group of Layton fans will go to the location when a new real world puzzle is released to solve it. If that's true then that's really cool.

20. Hambo12

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    yeah not sure i thought it was a new daily puzzle every day but when i checked there was a bunch of them already so i don't know. yeah you get museum points for solving them so you can look at the museum old artifacts from previous layton games. don't think the daily puzzles disappear it looks like it will stay forever. this game really is brilliant never had a 3DS or any console except wii so i get really happy when a full console experience comes to mobile