Universal LAYTON BROTHERS MYSTERY ROOM - (by Level-5 Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

iOS = Cheap, great Games, every Week. The among each Week is madness and to be honest it wouldn`t be the first time a funny, interesting Game would disappear from the first Page without everyone knowing about it.

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Better than no Layton... I'm downloading now.

I hope someone who's played this before can tell us how long each case usually is. I hope this game isn't too short. Maybe like Phoenix Wright trilogy length? :)

3. Pivi

Pivi Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Layton themed game with Phoenix Wright feel? TAKE MY MONEY!

4. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Can anyone who has bough all cases comment on how long they are , would be much appreciated ?
    Game is way more polished than Ace Atorrney which looks like a lame port compared to this.

5. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    #46 Alister, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
    Wow!!This is the first Layton game that ive played and I must say,I'm very impressed..It might be the vibrant jazzy tunes,the clever dialogue,brilliant arrangement of the events unfolding,the sleuthing game mechanics or the beautiful art that really sucked me in to its world..There's just something here thats very immersive..

As a long time fan of the Sherlock Holmes mythos,I really appreciate this game..Bravo Level-5!:)

6. theblackw0lf

theblackw0lf Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Where is the murder weapon in the first case? I've clicked in everything in the crime scene.

I had thought I knew what the weapon was also

7. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Just a reminder, folks: although the above is innocuous enough, please don't post answers or questions that could be construed as spoilers without using spoiler tags,
    like so

To answer your question,
    you'll need to remember to use the zoom function when you're looking around the crime scene

8. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I don't want to post spoilers, so I'll just say make sure that you've not just clicked everything, but also zoomed in.

9. dexter77

dexter77 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    #50 dexter77, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
    Shorter than PW trilogy but long enough for its price, this game is very cheap compared to PWT, the only thing is that it's a one shot title, when you achieve the end there's no chance to play it again if the devs will not add more
    chapters, luckily the game structure it's open to allow future updates, i'm positive about this aspect, if many people will buy the full set i see no reason why this can not happen!

10. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Thoroughly enjoying this so far, just starting the second mystery, its basically Phoenix wright slightly tweaked. So far it feels a little simpler than the Phoenix games but I'd hope that like those it reveals new gameplay elements as it goes on.
    I can't wait to play the rest the episodes and the only thing that's going to stop me buying them immediately is finding the time to play it.

I'd never heard of this before yesterday so a very pleasant suprise, it plays very well on the touch 4th gen as well.

11. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    This deserves more attention than it has been getting

12. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Given how loved the Layton franchise is, I think enough people are buying. The thread, well it won't go anywhere.

13. Schutzenegger

Schutzenegger Member

Jun 7, 2012
    I can't find the murder weapon for case 2. I have check marks on every location but Layton still says I'm wrong. I've obviously missed something, but where?

14. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Hint:
    Try taking a closer look at the few objects in the room that could conceivably have caused the fatal wound. You might want to take some time and think laterally.

15. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Just started the first case and played through a bit. The game is fun and I love these kinds of mystery solving cases. It's great!

I do have problems with some of the UI. Games like these really need a save ANYWHERE function. Otherwise you have to keep investigating until you get a checkpoint and you won't know when that is. Otherwise... start over from the last checkpoint -_-

Also the loading game is SUPER redundant. They just need a continue button. You hit start on the main screen, hit load game, pick your game file, confirm your choice, pick your case, pick reopen case option, confirm your choice.... and then it loads. Phoenix Wright, you just click the load button and pick the manual save or the auto save. Wow.

16. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Layton uses separate player profiles (the "file of cases" you choose when you first boot up the game), whereas Phoenix Wright doesn't, so a simple initial "continue" option wouldn't work. After that you simply choose whichever case you want to (re)play, and either restart it or continue from where you left off, which isn't particularly unreasonable.

If a "continue most recent case" option were included, it would literally only save you one tap, which hardly seems worth being bothered by.

17. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I can't believe how badly translated this game is. The localization is just barely ok. I find it distracting.

18. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Look at page 3 of this thread, bottom post from Appletini.
    Characters use different dialects and as much as it may be confusing to grasp meaning of some words and grammar when you read them for first time and they might look wrong or twisted, if you read sentence 2 or more times you'll see that there's indeed no grammar mistakes.Actually I find it refreshing for game to use other dialects apart from generic one we see everywhere, learned a couple of new words :)

19. mixicat

mixicat New Member

Jun 28, 2013
    I joined this forum just so I could post this question, which has been driving me crazy since I finished the first case this morning. Did anyone else understand what the killer's motive was? I felt like it started to be explained and then was abruptly cut off with the detective saying his work was done. Anyone have thoughts on that? Other than that, I loved the game. So curious about this Phoenix Wright game you are all comparing it to too.