Universal LAYTON BROTHERS MYSTERY ROOM - (by Level-5 Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Haha +1..Atleast we get to try it first for free..

2. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

#22 killercow, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
    I'm currently trying it. Impressions to follow...

-I think the translation has some issues. "It were him" " she were somewhere" are just a few examples... Not game breaking but not what I expected from Level 5... (Disregard! See below for explanation)
    -It's not the prof. layton experience you know and love. You are not solving puzzles, rather you find objects in crime scenes and use your wits to find the killer. It's more like Phoenix Wright thus far!
    -The game doesn't save your progress when you exit. It uses a checkpoint system instead.

3. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    Is this game only about investigating and talking with suspects, meaning no courtroom ?

4. dexter77

dexter77 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011

Thanx man, perfect price for so much fun!!

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Cant wait! Please dont disappoint. :D

6. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    #27 Appletini, Jun 26, 2013
    Just finished the first case. The jazz soundtrack is outstanding, and the dialogue is definitely professionally written, with none of the awkward translation or language issues that often pop up in these kinds of games.

The first case is basically a tutorial and not overly difficult, but it's actually still pretty lengthy for what it is; the case itself also cleverly handled and is one of those bizarre stories that wouldn't be out of place as an episode of Murder, She Wrote (or Castle). There also seems to be an overarching secondary storyline that continues between the cases, but I'm not far enough in to comment on that.

The gameplay itself revolves around searching crime scenes for clues (you pan, rotate and zoom around areas to find clues to add to your files), interviewing suspects, answering questions based on your deductions, eliminating possibilities, and generally trying to solve the case based on logic, rather than puzzles. The actual game is less like the Professor Layton puzzle games, and more like Phoenix Wright if the courtroom and exploration sections from that series were merged together.

This is the only game so far this week that I'm even remotely interested in. Guess the next big week will be, well, next week, what with the sales and all.

7. toythatkills

toythatkills Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Thames Ditton, UK
    Were they both the same character? It sounds intentional, to me, that's just their way of talking.

8. killercow

Maybe! It was indeed by the same character (at least I think it was...) but there are also a few answers that don't sound natural and a bit out of place. Don't get me wrong, most of the translation is flawless and well written but that was just... odd for a lack of a better term.

9. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    #30 Appletini, Jun 26, 2013
    The use of language (e.g. "it were") is intentional, and not a mistake. Several characters speak in national or regional dialects (a number of Baker's verbal cues paint her as being from the Midlands or Northern England, for example), hence the seemingly odd phrasing if you're unfamiliar with the area and its patterns of speech. These aren't errors; I haven't yet found a line that doesn't make sense in the context of the character speaking it.

10. killercow

You're correct! Later on she uses more expression that are typical of a certain region/dialect. My bad :D

11. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Installed size?

12. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    361mb

13. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
  14. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Downloading now. :)

15. madebymadison

madebymadison Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Artist
    It's a much more limitying experience (gathering clues per case, not a huge story arc or travel like Layton and his team) but a great puzzler nonetheless.

I am SO happy they ported it to English.
    That said: I am more anxiously awaiting Jacob Jones episode 2. That is more Laytonesque in it's storytelling mixed with puzzle book puzzles.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Same here on the Jacob Jones bit.

Jacob Jones is a fantastic puzzle adventure game, and i cant wait for Ep2.

17. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Well, that's not exactly true, as the game "season" definitely does have an overarching plot beyond the individual case "episodes" themselves.

18. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    I'm surprised this thread fell to the third page already. Release should be soon!