Universal Last Horizon (by Pixeljam)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Nov 18, 2015.

1. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    For a second I thought this was going to be something that would scratch my NEW ORBIT itch. Man that game was amazing. (For those who don't know what I'm talking about - link)

2. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Thanks for the Game Center Achievements update. Great game to boot!

3. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #23 VirtualBoyFreak, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Another time I see the same: 2 TA ratings (mine and another), a 3-star average. Since I gave it 5 stars, the other rating is a 1-star rating. Can the rater come here to comment why 1-star? Sure, it's very acceptable and each has their own opinion, but you could say why you gave it a 1-star rating. My 5-star rating justification is one page before this one. Seeing the average rating gives a good/bad first impression when you enter the thread that should be justified in the comments IMO. EDIT: rating disappeared, so we're back to only my rating. Weird... :-/

4. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    New orbit was a trial-and-error, 2D capsule physics action puzzler. Frustrating, more than enjoyable. Is that what this is?

5. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I don't find this one frustrating at all. It's sometimes difficult to make a perfect landing, avoid asteroids, etc., but it doesn't reach the point of frustration.

6. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I'm really enjoying what I've played of this so far. I love these thruster/rotation type of controls (Flop Rocket comes to mind) in games. The space setting and different planets are really nice too!

@pixeljamgames Game Center has been working fine on my iPad mini 2, but it's broken on iPhone 6. Both are running iOS 9.1. This may seem like a stupid question, and maybe it is, but if I'm playing on my iPhone (without Game Center) and I switch over to iPad, will my progress (score & achievements) be transferred over?

7. coderkid

coderkid Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    IMO, New Orbit had an excellent plot, atmosphere, aesthetics, and gameplay. I'll admit, that certain portions of the gameplay could get difficult, but it was never fustrating for me.

8. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I am absolutely loving this. It feels like a lot like Out There. Encountering your first alien planet can be very fun.

9. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    The world is the same each time right? I'm not sure if it's randomized or not each new run.

10. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I just noticed on my Game Center friends list that nobody has earned any achievements even if they finished the first planet. Please fix.

11. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I emailed Pixeljam games and Noodlecake games re GC. Hopefully I will get a response.

12. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

I haven't had much time to play, so I can at least confirm that I haven't finished the 1st planet yet.

The way the planets each have their own gravitational pull, affecting your ship's movement, as well as surrounding moons and meteors is just awesome. Love the asteroid belts and meteorites too. Lovely.

13. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Please let us know if you get to a point when you approach an achievement and whether or not it registered

14. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Achievements and leaderboards are working fine for me.

15. DonnyDJ76

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Thanks man, going to play it later.

Sincerely,

Don, the achievement wh*re

16. pixeljamgames

pixeljamgames Active Member

Apr 26, 2011
    jammin pixels
    Asheville, NC
    A, B, C have pre-defined planet arrangements. Flight X is a very different setup every time. It's basically the version of the game we want people to play, but A,B,C are kind of like the training missions... :)

17. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    That makes sense, thanks! Will try to unlock C and X now :D

18. fabianb

fabianb Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ohhh so that is the 'endless' mode?

19. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #39 VirtualBoyFreak, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Mmm... Endlessly replayable, but with an ending every time, usually crashing :p I just unlocked it, and what it seems is longer than settings A, B and C. I guess that X is the true game mode, as devs said. The others are just "demos". Now, X is much more difficult, specially performing smooth landings :D

20. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    This game is just wonderful! (I've been playing on Steam, where I was a beta tester, but I think I might get it for my ipad too.)