iPhone Lars! Super Action Danger Lizard

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by deadweight, Nov 3, 2010.

1. deadweight

deadweight Well-Known Member

Here's a few screenshots from our upcoming retro platformer. Over 70 levels of the best "almost mario" that a couple of indie developers could come up with.

Run, jump, and swim along with special agent Lizard Lars as he navigates deadly exotic jungles, dark treacherous caves, warm relaxing beaches, and lethal fiery volcanos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finishing the last of the pixel art and music now, so we should have some gameplay video shortly. :cool:

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Looks fantastic, TELL me there's an iPod (2g included) version in the works! I don't have an iPad. :(

3. deadweight

Working on it. Not sure if iphone/ipod support will be in initial release but it will be available not long afterwards.

Smaller screen has been a challenge with a platformer that is both horizontal and vertical. Hard to see what's below you when you're jumping down to something unless you zoom out so much that the tiles and characters become almost too tiny. But yes, we want to support many devices.

Here's one of our mega evil boss characters. Pretty evil looking, wouldn't you say? Hate to meet him in a dark alley.

[​IMG]

4. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Creeeepy!! :p

5. deadweight

#5 deadweight, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
    Still working on getting some gameplay video. In the meantime, I've exported out maps of two of the levels to give you an idea of how they're shaping up. These are from the earlier worlds and play out on the easier side of the spectrum. Later levels can get a little more complex.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    So how's development? Thought I'd post the icon here so this isn't considered bumping. ;)

[​IMG]

7. warcrack

warcrack Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    TA
    Icon lock nice

8. deadweight

Getting closer. Finishing the UI graphics and smashing bugs at this point. Also have a few final boss levels to code and the content will be complete. We're really pushing for a release in early December, and so far we seem to be on track.

If I can finish the UI this weekend I'll get the gameplay video that I promised posted to youtube. The game plays pretty smoothly right now. If you're a fan of old-time side-scroller physics... I'm hoping you'll be pleased. It took a great deal of tweaking to get it to feel just right, and we're fairly happy with how it plays.

9. deadweight

#9 deadweight, Dec 16, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
    Wow. We submitted this last week and it just got approved in under 8 days. Didn't even have time to finish the gameplay video.

We delayed release by about a week so we could include Universal support from day1... so hopefully the extra time pays off. I'll post the full details when it shows up in the stores. :cool:

10. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
  11. deadweight

I just dropped the price from $2.99 -> $0.99 for the launch. Might take an hour or so before it shows up at that price.

12. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #12 syntheticvoid, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
    **EDIT**

Moved this comment to the iPhone/iTouch thread... =o)

13. FPE

FPE Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    World, now Belgium
    #13 FPE, Dec 17, 2010
    Out?!
    Why did I miss it on app shopper!!??
    Downloading now .... And looking forward for the update in January!

And please add auto rotate. The controls fight with the headphone jack!

14. deadweight

#14 deadweight, Dec 17, 2010
    Yeah, landed on the store yesterday afternoon. Very excited that we made it in before the holiday. :D

Moving the discussion to the official thread over here.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=77157

I'll answer questions there if you've got them. Maybe you guys can help me keep the thread afloat for a bit. So easy to get buried over there. :cool:

But quick response... yes, that's grass. Maybe we need to make it look a little less pointy, heh. Hard when you've only got a few pixels to work with.

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]

I've come to really like it... once you see the silver/grey spikes, the grass and whatever shrubs or whatnot is coming out of the sandy areas don't look like spikes at all. =oP

You guys have done an AMAZING job with this game!

16. iPodTouchGamer

Dec 6, 2010
    Bought.
    So much fun!