language selection

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by cavalcadegames, Jul 7, 2009.

1. cavalcadegames

cavalcadegames Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2009
    For some reason, i really don't like it when a language selection appears when a game starts up.

Am i alone in this? any suggestions on how to automate this?

can we have different build for different app store? how about the flags on the bottom of the main menu in a drop down form or something, is this a good idea

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

How about you see what language the device is set to, and use that by default. Then have a option to manually change it to any supported language too. At least that's what I did.

--Eric

3. rdklein

rdklein Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    sw developer, tv producer, hw developer (microcodi
    Munich
    when you use the localize function, the language is automatically selected.
    In the book beginning ihone development there is a great example how to do this. In this case the Ap Store also shows all languges supported.

right click on a text file for example and use get info, there you find a localize button. later useadd languges in this menu and use the short names (de es fr ...) to add new languages.
    You can do this also for the nib file .

in addition you can also check the locale, ut be careful, the algorithm which the iphone uses to select a languge in the lcoalisation directory can differ frm what you do (and the App Store wont show) when doing it by checking the lcoale strings.