Lack of Sci-fi RPG's/MMO's

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Rylin, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Rylin

Rylin Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    #1 Rylin, Sep 20, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
    The one thing that's sorely lacking on the iPhone/iPad are sci-fi role-playing games/MMO's. Fantasy games still dominate both genres but we desperately need more modern/futuristic stories/elements. Given, there are some very fun sci-fi strategy games, mostly turn-based, the app store really has nothing to satisfy the sci-fi crowd.

Yes, there's Warpgate, but that's really all we've been given and I don't want to wait another year for WarpGate 2 to release. :rolleyes:

To all independent and established developers out there, let's throw down the magic crystals and pointy hats in favor of more blasters, lasers and aliens. :cool: Give me a Pocket Legends or Zenonia type game in a sci-fi setting please. :)

Anyone feel the same way or have I missed a few games along the way?

2. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Galaxy on fire 2 looks promising if your into the arcadey space sims.

sci fi rpg's are even rare on other platforms. Besides star ocean, what else are there?

Even mmo's, besides EVE most are pretty unnoticeable (Old republic will rock though).

3. lacedolphin

lacedolphin Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2009
    I'd like to see more of a doctor who type rpg. You could really go crazy and different with the storyline. A futuristic type turn based rpg would be fresh and different. Even maybe a set-up like rayman would work also. I have to agree that untapped area that if done right could be a big hit. Wonder which company would try to tackle it first.

4. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Hell, I'd love to see more sci-fi RPG's in gaming period, not just the iOS. Aside from Bioware (KOTOR/Mass Effect/Old Republic), I can't think of that many sci-fi based RPG's.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    There's Outer Empires, though I don't know if it's any good.

6. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    System Shock 2, Deus Ex and a shitbox computer is all I'll ever need :p

7. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    I wish Sega would release Phantasy Star Online on itunes, that would make me very happy!

8. Rylin

Rylin Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Imagine Mass Effect in a portable 2D form with 30-50hrs of storyline game play, not including all the exploration and side quests.

9. doubts even here

doubts even here Active Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Germany
    What about Phantasy Star II?

10. JindoFox

JindoFox Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I don't get why Bioware doesn't release a cut-down Mass Effect or Knights of the Old Republic game with simplified graphics and no spoken text. I would LOVE to see KOTOR in Final Fantasy form and am a little mystified they haven't farmed that out for someone to make.

Sci Fi in general doesn't get as much play as it should. Kids these days ....

11. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    cuz their busy making mass effect 3, dragon age 2, and The Old Republic?

That Mass Effect iphone game was pretty much garbage, so I'd rather them stick with pc and consoles where they excel =)

12. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Sega also made more recently Infinite Space and that's a very good one and quite original, great fun even if not the perfect game.

13. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Check out the upcoming game, Mission Europa at Ryanmitchellgames.wordpress.com
    It's a Futuristic space rpg. Tons of weapons and bioshock esq abilities.