Lack of good zombie games.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RobCRX, Aug 2, 2009.

1. IKnowHow2Fly

IKnowHow2Fly Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2009
    or how about idracula?
    Obviously zombie isn't in the name but there are enemies like them...kind of...it islike the game you posted earlier.

2. Jamie

Jamie Active Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Hey Robo I TOTALLY agree!

Our dev team is actually nearing completion of a full 3d, 1st person zombie defense game (think, a TD/shooter hybrid where you are using and upgrading abilities instead of towers). We've been working on it for almost a year, but want to stay quiet about it until very close to release. Keep your eyes and ears peeled for Trigger Happy :)

3. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Oh man. So many memories. That was back when there were like 10 regulars on TA. I started that thread! Awesome! That was back when salsa and yuyu weren't mods (well yuyu isn't anymore)

4. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    You are correct, there are quite a few zombie games. but IMO nearly all of are bad. I'm not into fps's on the idevice simply because you can never be fast AND precise. Nearly all of the topdown shooters I've seen for zombie games either have stationary players or are just "kill'em all" with no real objective. The latter can be said for all zombie games. There are also only two text based: Zombies Live and Zombie Trade Wars. Zombie Trades Wars actually struck me as decent, but the fact that there is a limit on how long you can play turned me off to the game.

As I've said, I hate cartoony, silly looking graphics when it comes to zombie games, how is a cartoon supposed to be intimidating.

I've also noticed that apparently nobody here reads the posts after the OP, and repeatedly post the same games, regardless of what has been said.

And to Coral who posted Alien Mangle FPS, I liked the bit of history that came with your post, but it's just another fps.

I'm basically looking for a minigore with zombies and a decent system of upgrades and weapons, but nothing on the app store meets that criteria.

5. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Zombie Hunter (formerly 7 Day Apocolypse) fits EXACTLY that criteria, and it's a GREAT game. Do you have that? It sounds like just what you want.

6. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    I want a completely top down non 3D, and not to sound sexist, but non-girl character.

7. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    There needs to be a game like boxhead (not minigore)

also, I think someone should port Siren to the iPhone. Any game that claims to be horror on the iPhone will be blown away

8. Jamie

Jamie Active Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Part of the problem right now with all these zombie games is that most of them are trying to rely solely on the fact that they have zombies in the game to make it cool... problem is the gameplay usually falls short because of this; either no depth, or its just boring after 2 seconds. I think that's why people are getting bored of the influx of zombie crap coming out. But hey, look at ANY genre and its packed to the brim with clones and crap... zombies is no different then tower defense or whatever... but I'd have to agree in general. There is yet to be a really solid zombie game that is deep, easy to pick up and play, but fun. In fact, zombie games might be one of the last "genres" that has yet to have a really STANDOUT, superior game in its class.

7D was okay imo... just too repetitive for my tastes. surroundead was too basic... 1 zombie type, 1 level, etc... zombieville... not my style. resident evil is too slow paced for me... i dont want to search 4 hours for an earth herb and fight 1 zombie every 20 minutes (imo ;). most of the other zombie games just flat out fall short.

robo are you a fan of L4D at all?

9. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    It was rejected for blood and resubmitted with green blood and "aliens." You can find it in the store as Alien Mangle.

I wouldn't exactly recommend it, but it is out there for those who are curious.

10. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Dude seriously you are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to picky :cool:

11. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    #31 RobCRX, Aug 2, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
    Yes I love L4D. But I know something like that wouldnt be good on the touch simply because the touch fails control wise. A topdown shooter like endless zombie rampage or boxhead that actually have stages and strategies would be nice. A game that incorporates a story would be nicer. Add the joysticks from minigore to controls and you've got yourself a great game. I can see a L4D 2D like counterstrike 2D where you defend from ways in multiplayer online.

If you don't agree that basically all zombie games on the app store are trash, something is wrong with you.

Let me sum up the zombie games on the app store, they fall into these categories:

• Sidescrollinggame where you just sit and kill zombies with a few different weapons,weapons, no story or depth at all
    • A console port that anyone who liked it played it when it came out on the console
    • An fps with terrible controls
    • A top down shooter where you stand still and shoot the same looking zombie over and over.
    • A crappy mmo that is one of many with different images and text.

I'm glad I got that out of my system.

12. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

ya like he said your picky. you proved that twice now :p

13. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    I bet you didn't even read what I posted.

Do you not agree that all the zombie games in the app store fail?

14. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    No. They don't all fail. They also don't fit your very narrow parameters of what makes a zombie game good. You've been given a lot of suggestions which you shoot down left and right like they were zombies. Perhaps you need to make the game you want yourself, so that others can come on a forum and bash it.

15. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    Name a good game that isn't mindless repetitive storyless and has good controls.

16. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    ZombieHunter. Besides, you said you wanted Minigore with zombies. How isn't that mindless, repetitive, and storyless?

17. StormBASIC

StormBASIC Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Programmer
    Information about ZombieHunter

7 Days Apocalypse (7DA) changed a lot on the last updates.(Now is called ZombieHunter)
    If you see the new chapter, you will notice that new scenes, enemies, weapons and powerups were added.

CHAPTER II:

18. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

7DA and Zombieville are really good. And yes i did read what you said but its not devs fault that they dont directly consult you when making a zombie game.

19. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I know the OP didn't want to play as a girl, but she's at least as badass as Lara Croft, and ZombieHunter is one of the best games in the app store, and had one of the best updates I've ever seen.

20. RobCRX

RobCRX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Student
    NY
    You realize this is my rant thread?

I'm here to let some steam out for what IMO is a streak of crap.