iPad Labyrinth.....now in 3D?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by dannys95, Feb 27, 2009.

1. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Guess that Wooden Labyrinth 3D got to them. Illusions Lab Labyrinth has just been updated to have optional 3D.

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    They gotta adapt to the competition. Sadly, you can only be so subtle. Glad it's an option though. Wonder if that's why the lite version updated... check it out now.

Edit: nah, lite version's still the same. phooey.

3. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

#3 schplurg, Feb 27, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
    I've tried the lite versions of both Labyrinth versions (though not this new 3D version), and I like the gameplay of the Illusion Labs one better. In the other version, the ball just seems to behave slightly "wrong", even after adjusting the friction etc. And though the 3D thing is a nifty effect, I kinda don't like it. it's juts ...off somehow.

I'm curious to try I.L.s version of that, but I won't play it enough to wanna pay $6 for it.

Hmmm I see the lite version appstore page says it has 3D graphics. Are you sure they aren't in there?

EDIT:
    Lite version has 3D
    , you have to enable it in the options. I think it looks better than the other game too. The shadows make all the difference, and the walls don't look as weird when you tilt the game. Looks nice :)

4. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    I like it but it's buggy. Sometimes holes and 3D collide so I don't falll in.

5. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I've just played a level with this issue.

I like the subtle 3D effect, however I think that will be in the next Labyrinth 3D update. Anyway, I like the records you can beat in L3D. It adds more to the gameplay.

6. larc

larc New Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Hi guys, Carl from Illusion Labs here.

We have had 3D-walls on our todo list for a long time and implementation was begun more than a year ago but stalled. It is true that the competition hurried things along though, we like competition :)

The ball can go over a hole without falling sometimes, or get its trajectory bent by going on the "side" of a hole, just like in IRL game. This was added to get better realism last fall.

3D will tax performance somewhat so I would not prefer it for all levels. We will try to improve 3D performance somewhat in an update. And yes, the Lite version also has optional 3D.

7. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Nice to hear from you around here. Your game was one of the first I purchased. It's a classic.

I'm not sure how hard it is but maybe you could tag some packs/levels like "3D aware" and maybe extend this approach to "timed" packs/levels too (something like a time to beat as part of the level).

8. Blaqkie

Blaqkie Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Wow. I love that original Labyrinth even more now. They totally just took out the other labyrinth game.

9. evanmav

evanmav Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    im loving the 3-d. i also have a question. how do i upload my levels that i have created and get it to people to download. i know how to get my levels on m ipod but how do i get them to show up on the list of downloads for everyone else to download my levels?

10. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I welcome you to the posse of the cool 3D guys. ;)

I see you chose the "not moving" part to be the top of the walls in the perspective change. In a way it is the more logical one, but I wanted to give the impression of the wood popping out of the screen.

We of course still feel that our interface and mechanics are superior and more polished. And thus, bring it on! :D ;)

Any site up for a comparison review?

11. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    Oooh, fight, fight, fight! :D

My opinion? Well, having played both, I much prefer Wooden Labyrinth 3D.
    It just both looks and feels so much better...

12. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    Just send us an email (we need to review it first): labyrinth at illusionlabs dot se

13. D.Sync

D.Sync Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    University Student
    Malaysia
    Wow, I really didn't see and anticipate that Labyrinth will actually have 3D graphic. What's even great is that the option is optional. The update make me want to play Labyrinth again after I had left it for weeks.

BTW, is it possible to include a statistic tracker that keep track of your completed time? So far even though I completed a level pack but I don't see any replay value of it.

14. Eng

Eng Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Been waiting for this, you said it would eventually be 3D, and you've lived up to your promise, i salute you ;)

15. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    Logical-schmogical... Having played both, I definitely feel that the 3D effect is much better implemented in "Wooden Labyrinth 3D".

The 3D effect in "Labyrinth" is just too subtle. It doesn't feel like it's moving enough. It just really doesn't add anything to the "feel" of the game.

In "Wooden Labyrinth 3D", it really does feel like you're tilting a physical object through a 3D environment. Especially so when tilting through both the horizontal AND vertical axes at the same time.

Playing plain old "Labyrinth" in 3D feels no different to playing it in 2D mode. I don't see the added bonus here...

16. eVp

eVp Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    It's cool that someone else feels that way too. ;)

There's actually a couple of things that set the 3D effects apart. Wooden has a bit of rotation applied to the body, instead of just manipulating the view frustum. This causes some aliasing problems but also hints the brain into thinking "oh it's rotating". On top of that, the ball's shadow falls under the object if you "see it from the side". This gives a fragile illusion of a 3D ball. Finally, the holes are see-through in Wooden, which not only lets the the fallen balls to be shown, but also gives a nice 3D effect by letting the player see the bottom layer of wood.

(not to mention the actully three dimensional falling into holes and onto the playfield and over the objects... and.... )

But, I'm not going to to hijack the thread any more. Glad to see the gamers winning. Better value for all the customers!

17. cptlockheed

cptlockheed Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    IT professional since the 80's
    Finland
    Nah, nothing unusual... it's called Finnkampen. A traditional thing between Finns and Swedes :D

18. Liljeberg

Liljeberg Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Graphic Designer / IT Support
    Sweden
    eVp, have you considered making the dividing walls just a tad lower? I realize there is the need for contrast between the high walls and the jumpable walls but I think it would look a bit more realistic.

19. BrettArchibald

Jul 17, 2008
    By this, I'm guessing you mean how the game feels like you're not just tilting a board "glued" to the iPhone, but the board "inside" the iPhone is almost on another 3D axis of its own. So the board "inside" the iPhone has some fluidity to it.
    It's hard to explain, but it works really well...

I noticed that on a flat screenshot, but it's not at all noticeable during moving gameplay (unless you're deliberately trying to look for it, that is).
    And even then, it only seems to be noticeable on extreme tilting.
    What I mean is, it doesn't distract or bug you at all while you play.

20. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

This was one of the first paid games I bought back in September, and it's stayed on my iPhone ever since.
    How about a multi-ball, or even a two ball option to spice things up? :D
    The Illusion Labs' Labyrinth still feels the most natural, IMO. Labyrinth 3D has slightly better menus & UI, but doesn't feel quite right(as good a game as it is).