Universal kubic (by Appsolute Games LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Appsolute Games

Appsolute Games Well-Known Member

Hahaha what?!

2. saosijs

saosijs Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
  3. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Here is an idea for an achievement :D

Attached Files:

4. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Nice one! Only a few can do that :cool:

5. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    #25 saosijs, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
    It's not easy to stay in the Top 10 on Game Center, and I have only the difficult levels left (51 out of 60 now). Last time I checked, nobody (who has GC enabled) has reached 60 yet. Oops, I stand corrected, a "dankoolcat" forfeited my words. And I'm down to position 10 again (from 7 yesterday evening).

Managing individual pieces to go to foreground/background is what makes the game complicated to handle for me. Sometimes a piece that I just put in place (so, on top), and then touching it again to move it, somehow brings to foreground a piece *under* it. Gets confusing this way. Sometimes I find myself just frantically tapping the object in random places to get it right, because I *know* the pieces to be in the correct place. Many times it worked too; so much for strategy and planning :D This applies especially to the more solid objects that require a lot of overlap. Objects with extensions, holes, are much easier to handle.

6. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    51 is pretty good, well done!

Original design was based on mouse pointer precision but I did my my best to work it out with touch controls. Once you figure out the puzzle piece layout it helps to build figures from back to front on another part of the screen. I hope this helps. :)

7. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    #27 saosijs, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016
    Thanks! 53 now, 7 to go but I'm pretty much at the end of my resources. 2 of the 7 bug me (45 and 59), they look so easy, have few pieces, and thus not much solution space to cover (one would say). I must have some mental block not seeing it, which also means that at some point I will get them :D.

The rest, 35, 36, 42, 58 and 60 ... These are the biggest among the compact, solid objects with many pieces. I get close for some, but always something (a detail) is not right. Building these from back to front, being not even sure about the correct layout, is something beyond of what I'm capable of.
    I accept hints ;) .

[edit] 54 now, just got L59
    [edit2] 55 now, just got L45. L60 looks the most possible to me, as there is almost no overlap (I think 2 tiles only), but the other 4 have a lot of overlap and are big and compact

8. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Nice job! Please see the attachments, those should get you going for 58 & 60. :)

First 4 pieces laid out for 60, and for 58 take a look at 3 small pieces, those are the initial moves.

Attached Files:

9. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    Thanks, reducing the solution space helped!
    60 is a nice level, where my brain had difficulty *not* seeing the visual 3D cues, after all, this is "just" a 2D tangram-style game :D
    For 58, there apparently is a bug where the game still did consider attached image as a valid solution (see how the image is halfway exiting the level, not showing the reference image anymore). So technically, I didn't solve it yet ;)

Attached Files:

10. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Great, let me know if you need any other hints. :) And thanks for the bug report, it's already fixed and included in the next update.

11. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    This is a shadow trick image but this time not an illusion :D. So close but no cigar.
    @PixelEnvision, a hint please ;) What should the top, "north" block be (and the one just beneath it)?

Maybe it's an idea to remember the position of the items when exiting a level?
    And since I'm at that phase now, some sort of built-in hint system? :)

Attached Files:

12. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    L35 down! Initially I missed one "kubicle" (attempts 1 and 2), but then I found 4 (attempt 3)! :D

It's kind of funny that when you have a spare item :cool:, it isn't rewarded, but you have to hide it like it is something to be ashamed of :D

Two to go: L36 and L42

Images of the L35 attempts:

Attached Files:

13. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Hehe, nice one but there is nothing to be ashamed of anyway. :) Those extra pieces or cubes are part of the puzzle design, #29 is fully based on that mechanic actually. I'll post the startup pieces for 36 shortly. And thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking into those... :cool:

14. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    That should get you started with 36...

Attached Files:

• 36.jpg
      36.jpg
      File size:
      113.6 KB
      Views:
  15. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    You're too generous! I asked for two and you gave me three :D
    I usually started with the L-shaped item for this level. But got it now!
    59/60 now. ... I ... will ... get ... that ... last ... level ...

16. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    PixelEnvision,

I am a bit troubled by the fact that the solutions to some of the levels require a block from one shape to be overlapped by another block from another shape, essentially hiding it from sight. At least in one case, I don't think the "hidden" block can exist physically. In other words, the entire structure cannot exist in the physical world because such placement creates a case of impossible geometry. I am not sure about this, so I want to ask if this is true. In more typical puzzles, I quite enjoy the fact that the solution structures can exist in real life, even though the game plays with forced perspective as part of its mechanics.

17. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    y2kmp3,

You are right about this, actually that is the core design of puzzles in kubic. It's all about perception, actual pieces are 2D while the textures on them gives 3D look. In reality you are not hiding any blocks, actually there are no blocks. So, all's fair to get to the goal image. :)

You can even print out and play with physical pieces, check out the following link: http://im-possible.info/english/articles/eschers-legacy/scott-kim.html

18. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Hi, PixelEnvision,

Thanks for the explanation. It helps to know that this is part of the game's premise for the puzzles. Because of this issue, whenever I start a level, I have now made a habit to first always "count" the number of "top facing" block faces in the final shape and to compare this number to the total number of "top facing" block faces among all of the disassembled pieces. This gives me a sense of how many blocks I have to hide. So far, of the few puzzles I tried, I either do not need to hide any blocks or need to hide only 1 single block. What is the "maximum" number of blocks the player may need to hide in the game's later puzzles?

19. saosijs

Mar 24, 2012
    Brazil
    I do the same! Counting how many faces of a certain color there are and comparing it against the target image! The bigger the difference, the more complex the puzzle (bigger solution space). Consider it a Tangram puzzle, with (highly confusing!) texture and overlap. It is very interesting to observe how difficult it is to (try to) *not* see the 3D look :D Sometimes I literally need to blink a few times to reset my interpretation just to find myself changing to a different 3D look LOL

20. PixelEnvision

Jun 8, 2011
    Indie Developer
    Brighton, UK
    Most extreme sample of this would be puzzle #29, you'll need to hide 12 "blocks", that is 5 full pieces out of 9 on the scene. But this one is solely based on that hiding mechanic and it's one of the easier. It's there to prepare player to that hiding concept which will help with the later puzzles. Other than that I'd say it will be around 4 or 5 "blocks" at max. I hope this helps! :)