iPad Kroll's Out

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by break5, Sep 29, 2008.

1. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Touch Arcade posted an article stating it's coming out soon but maybe not by the end of September a few minutes before the game was released.
    I find that funny.

2. smgschwind

smgschwind Member

Sep 18, 2008
    I can't wait to play this. It's too bad it isn't in the mobile app store yet, I won't be home for a few hours.

3. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Looks super. :)

I will wait a little and see if there's a price drop, I already bought Reign of Swords on Saturday and I really should be playing that instead of leaving it to sit on my home screen.

4. quartex

quartex Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Reign of Swords doesn't have anything close to the same quality graphics, but it's got some fun gameplay. I encourage you to check it out.

5. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm waiting a little bit to see if there's a price drop too.

I've also been playing Reign of Swords, so I have plenty to keep me busy. Reign of Swords is the most addicting portable game I've ever played. Once I got ahold of griffon riders and cannons I became a little power crazed.

6. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

#7 nizy, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  7. lw1234

lw1234 Active Member

Sep 5, 2008
    So far the game is technically extremely impressive, but underwhelming from a gameplay standpoint. It is overwhelmingly repetitive, and while I appreciate the production values, it is SO short. 3 chapters with 3 levels each at about 1-3 minutes per level...it can be beat in well under an hour.

8. ticookie

ticookie Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Def. too short. First chapter took like 5-10 min. Fun to play, just waaaaay too short.

9. lw1234

lw1234 Active Member

Sep 5, 2008
    I know I just posted, but I have to say this is really disappointing. So far there are 4 enemy types (small, small with scorpion tail, large and large with spear and shield). They come in a couple different colors but they are exactly the same. The smaller ones are just annoying and take 1 maybe 2 hits to kill, the larger ones are a little more satisfying, but the largest are the most frustrating. There is no block, and their spear is so long it easily gets you. The bosses are like God of War with no fighting. You tap an area of the screen at the right time and you'll beat it.

There is no jump and no sign of the rope sliding found in the SDK demo. I don't know, I guess I was expecting more. The old beat em ups had a little more variety than this

10. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I agree its short and simple, but give the harder difficulty settings a go. Just tried chapter 1, level 1 on hard and found it to be a bit more challenging, with more enemies, surrounding you more often. Might add a bit more depth to the game?

11. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you say. Like i said in my last reply, try the harder settings.

Have you completed all chapters? Maybe the jump and rope stuff come in later on? Also, could chapters 2 and 3 be longer, more difficult etc?

12. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    yea sounds pretty weak with no up/down movement or jumping. as fun as walking to the right and button mashing sounds, maybe I'll try that new dungeon crawler, or chopper instead.

13. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Here's my 2 cents abut these games.

I'm impressed with the graphics, but from what I've seen of the gameplay, it seem pretty lacking.
    The devs bragged that it's meant to have short levels so you can play it on the bus, but I think that's a mistake. It seems to be a lot of devs think making games short is going to make them better on the iPhone.

From my experience, longer games that auto-save when you get a call or close the app are the way to go. Reign of swords is good about that. One game can take half an hour or more (sometimes much more), but you can quit at anytime and come right back to it.

If Kroll had normal sized levels and just auto-saved at checkpoints, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Right now it seems to be just another game that they purposefully toned down because they thought people would want that.

I'm not ruling it out. I am going to wait until I see some more reviews, though.

14. lw1234

lw1234 Active Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Just finished the game....wow was I disappointed. The only variation in the entire game is the boss battles and the last one is so cheap. It gives you about 2 tenths of a second to push the right area and immediately takes one of your lives each time. Get game over and it is back to the beginning of the CHAPTER, not level.

The graphics are so good but totally wasted on copy and paste level design. Each level is EXACTLY the same. And no, the later levels do NOT have any of the cool acrobatic stuff shown in the SDK demo. There is not one flip, not one jump, and certainly not one rope slide. That bat the hero bitch slaps in the 40 second demo video? Doesn't exist. The jump swing that the hero does to hit the bat? Also doesn't exist. There are two three move combos, but the game is 100% button masher to the worst degree.

I wasn't expecting a PSP game, but I honestly don't think the developer put any time into anything but the menus and the graphics. The game looks great but makes me miss my 8 dollars. I bought Real Soccer 2009 for 10 and I have not ONCE missed my 10 dollars.

Sigh....

15. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    *sigh* I was hoping this game turns out to be good, oh well. I'm waiting for it to drop to 99 cents which by current trends will be in 2 weeks. :)

16. davidmdowning42

davidmdowning42 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Short was my worry. When a game is long the blurbs brag about how many levels it has. When they didn't, I got suspicious. I'm a big enough Star Wars geek to have bought Unleashed at full price & not completely regret it. But I ain't doin' nothin' like that again- not for more than say, $2.

17. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    Sounds like an expensive tech demo. I had strong doubts when i saw the preview video, but i didn't expect the design to actually take steps backward.

I'll continue to play Reign of Swords and enjoy the hell out of it.

18. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #19 NotYou, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
    That's my plan so far. Even with its simple graphics, that game has held my attention firmly since it came out.

I keep mentioning it in posts, but there's a reason for that. If the online fights weren't automatic it'd be a little too good. I would never get anything done.

19. renton

renton Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2008
    freelance design
    california
    #20 renton, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
    wow! i wish i read this thread b4 i bought it. tho i do like the game; it's just a shame devs think we have to have shorter games to keep us interested in the iphone/itouch.

i hope they release a patch that contains a few more levels, esp. the bits that are in the video. i saw the vid, and thats when i decided to buy the game flat out.

all i have to say, everyone, use the review in the app store to tell everyone what you all have said. maybe that might have the devs think twice...

im going too....