iPad Koi Pond

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Suneun, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Suneun

Suneun Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I didn't see another thread for this. Koi Pond been the Top Paid App ($0.99) in the store for a while now and I wanted to see who else has had fun with this! It's a simulated koi pond with about 5 different patterned koi fish. You can choose one of four pool floors, amount of lily pads, amount of fish (0 up to ~6), and a mixture of background nature sounds. When you run your finger across the water (screen), ripples spread from your fingertip. Koi swim away and return after a few moments. You can shake the iphone to add some fish food which the koi eat.

It's quite relaxing and well done. The koi wander in and out of the screen, the iphone screen edges act like boundaries for the surface ripples so they bounce quite realistically. The authors (Blimp Pilots) haven't put in interacting shadows but I imagine that it would be a pain to implement 3-d fish. It also doesn't seem to support multi-touch. But they've already updated their program once since release so I expect they'll keep making changes!

Anyone else bought it?

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 19, 2008
    I bought it just to see what the fuss is about. It's nice.

here's a video walkthough

3. ldkaplan

ldkaplan Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2008
    I didn't realize you could feed them...more fun!

It's also a good noise machine (limited numbers compared to ambiance and asleep).

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I actually "play" this once a day. it's just nice to relax a bit.

Fact: If you stick your finger in a koi pond the fish will swim up and investigate

Hmm, wonder what happens if I hold my finger still while playing koi pond...

5. bmoody

bmoody Member

Aug 27, 2008
    I think that the graphics and physics are amazing. I wonder what's coming in the next update?:D

6. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    How is the music/sound effects?

7. Monopoly

Monopoly Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    lol way to bump a months old thread :p

everything is very nice, just pdated with 2.3 i would get it

8. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Oh crap I meant to post this in the Distant shore thread. But thanks I was thinking about getting this.

9. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    #9 pante, Feb 4, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
    so... is it cool? :)

10. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I love Koi Pond. It never gets old for me. The new update is great and the new koi is lovely.

11. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Relaxing sounds: wind, birds, frogs, insects and just recently added rain/thunder.

Also, swiping your finger across the pond will produce a very realistic sound and visuals of ripples.

Best get it!

12. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Why choose Koi Pond over Fish Bling Bling?

13. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I actually love this game... i think it was one of the first games i bought for my iPhone, and i'll be honest... i got SO excited the other day when an update came out... I don't use it that much, BUT it's a great app to show to other people... one of those show off apps... it's great for all ages and experience.. yeah you'd want to show Cube or whatever to your PSP friends, but Koi Pond is a great all-around winner...

it would be cool if you had more control over the water environment, but i love the addition of rain! I'm glad the developer continues to support the 'game.'

it's one of those apps where you'll go to it just for fun, which is nice because there's no high score to worry about, just check in with your fish, change the lighting or lily pads, and then move on with your day...

Five star app... it succeeds in what it attempts to achieve.

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    It's ok. I don't open it often, but it's one of the first apps I show people, so it's pretty cool I guess...

15. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    i love it like you said very relaxing... i also love the holiday updates, like the one for Christmas with the reindeer koi very creative idea they did a nice job on this. and it hasn't crashes once:D

16. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    cf: Fish Bling Bling ($0.99)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    Reason to get Koi Pond over the other one mentioned is that the other one looks like a cheapo knock-off. That's all I can say, judging from the pictures as I haven't purchased it.

18. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    i tried fish bling bling but maybe i'm to stupid to find this game entertaining.

19. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Like the new rain sound but am not impressed with the raindrop animation...i was hoping to see mroe of a rain drop into the water and a little splash up...but wtvr...still one the most incredible apps out there...

20. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    I dunno, Koi Pond seems like it'd get old fast