Knock-Knock Game (by Ice-Pick Lodge)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 5, 2014.

1. FivepastTA

FivepastTA Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    #21 FivepastTA, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    Not blowing my skirt up so far. I'm finding the art style too comical to be scary. And I don't understand the forest sections. I'm only on the second one and I've just spent the last fifteen straight minutes with my thumb stuck to the left side of the screen watching the character tramp past the same five trees over and over again, with the occasional random silly noise dropped in. Will he get back to the house if I move him along for another fifteen minutes? Or should I be moving him right instead of left? Can I just leave something resting on the iPad and go make breakfast?

2. Demonocrat

Demonocrat Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2013
    #22 Demonocrat, Mar 6, 2014
    Hi!
    One of the key points of the game - is to understand HOW to play it...
    Knock-Knock is a "roguelike-like" game, and it shows not only in procedurally generated levels. Rules of the game change every time also.

Remember the definition of insanity Vaas told you in Far Cry 3? =)
    Maybe if you doing the same thing for a long time and it doesn't work its time to try something else... (remember that you can walk up and down in the forest also).

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Yeah, I think the most are annoyed because they don't understand the mechanics. But this isn't an always-holds-yer-hand game. You have to discover a lot by yourself. But that's also the fun.

4. FivepastTA

Oct 18, 2012
    #24 FivepastTA, Mar 6, 2014
    I absolutely don't understand how the forest sections work. I returned to the house after spending twenty minutes walking in one direction and it was no fun at all. Is there a better way? Was it just bad luck? Perhaps you'll deign to share some of your wisdom.

5. Demonocrat

Jul 4, 2013
    Maybe if you tried changing the path you went by going up or down...
    If you want to go through the forest faster (and miss all... Content hidden in there) is to frequintly change pathes you walking (if you see that your current path taking you nowhere).

6. Demonocrat

Jul 4, 2013
    But... Knock-Knock was not design to be "beaten" or "completed" (though you absolutely can do this), it was designed to be "experienced".

You are in a middle of a forest and you start walking the wrong way... Where will you end up? Even deeper in the forest.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Try finding
    the green girl. Run around, take different pathes. Play some tag. Try to aquire a fragment of reality.

8. Senile

Senile New Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Ottawa, Ontario
    This is on Steam as well?? I'll probably buy it on both mobile and steam then. I've been visiting the parents so I've been out of touch with Steam lately. It's nice to go home and use the mouse and keyboard, and it's great that I could still get my fix while away for several days. :D

9. FivepastTA

Oct 18, 2012
    But I did find the house eventually, which to me says that I didn't go the wrong way. Are you saying that if I'd gone left instead of right, and mixed in a few random ups and downs, I'd have found the house faster? Is that how the game works?

10. Demonocrat

Jul 4, 2013
    This game works in mysterious ways, sometimes even people from Ice-Pick Lodge find something new and surprising in it during play sessions =)

But yes 20 minutes sounds like you were reaaaaaaly unlucky with a choice of your path =)

11. bigjack66

bigjack66 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    I like it the artwork sets the game off. It's an experience not a game. I like th wierd goings on cause I'm weird and there's nothing wrong with that. I've never experienced insomnia but I understand it can do weird things to your mind. If you're awake at night you might as well play some games!

12. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Really looking forward to settling in to play this one night. I get really bad insomnia, I'm generally in too much pain to sleep and I often go days without rest so I can empathise with the protagonist. I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to scary games, but the atmosphere and art are more than enough to serve as dutch courage.

I'll be sure to leave impressions when I get round to it too, thank you for porting the game - I'd much rather have the freedom to play it ironically in my bed!

13. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

What's the installed size on this one? need to know if I'll need to delete stuff :)

14. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    It's 360mb installed

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm excited to see Knock Knock on iOS, I'd been waiting on a sale at GOG but mobile might be better for me with this one.

16. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Okie dokie, thanks! Will definitely be getting this one then

17. Demonocrat

Jul 4, 2013
    Wooooo! We got featured by apple =)

If you bought the game, please honestly rate it on appstore (we don't have "please rate me" popup in the game at the moment, so we don't have awful lot of user ratings right now) that would be a huge help:)

18. SeveredJoke

SeveredJoke Member

May 12, 2013
    Enjoying is the wrong word but I definitely get it! Still puzzling through some of the mechanics but love the atmosphere and House of Leaves nightmare feel. I've rated it via Game Center but happy to put a full review up.

19. bigjack66

Aug 5, 2013
    I have a similar problem. I find that a hot water bottle over painful areas helps and also focusing on your breathing while counting 1,2 helps. If you've got money try massage. Also get a prescription for Prozac it's also a good painkiller.

20. bigjack66

Aug 5, 2013
    Love the game and artwork. Left positive reviews here and on App Store. Stuck on " level3" I keep getting put back to bed by ghosts and when I try to folow direction prompts it sends me in two directions at the same time then gets me while I'm opening the door or hiding. Also what's with the big eye I've tried interacting with it but I get put in a corridor go thru a door and end up back in bed. Some help would be appreciated.