Knight's Rush vs OMG Pirates.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by arta, Sep 1, 2010.

1. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    What's the Toucharcade opinion between these games?

2. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Knight's Rush > OMG Pirates.

3. thegrave

thegrave Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Knights Rush is very overrated.

I don't get why there are people into it.

I have both games and I think OMG Pirates is a much better game.

Pros and Cons for both:

Knights Rush
    +Graphics
    +Skill Tree - pretty cool to pick different skills
    -Gameplay - 1 button mashing very repetitive and no real skill involved
    -Collision Problems
    -90% traps and objects rather than enemies
    -Tons of Bugs

OMG Pirates
    +Gameplay - countering, different button combos
    -No skill tree, but you do have access to much more moves than Knights Rush
    +Not ridiculously buggy
    +Graphics are appealing and simple
    +No Collision Problems
    +Bosses are actually interesting and require a little skill

OMG Pirates is much better than Knight's Rush, and I dare anyone to play the two games and tell me different.

In what area besides graphics does Knight's Rush actually win? I was very much looking forward to KR and bought it as soon as it came out... it was a pretty major letdown.

I thought the demo they made for it was actually more fun than the actual game....

4. Beto_Machado

Beto_Machado Well-Known Member

#4 Beto_Machado, Sep 2, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
    Most people, even devs, don't understand beat-em-ups.

I bet a lot of devs make beat-em-ups because they think they're "easy" to make. Making a shitty beat-em-up may be easy. Making a good beat-em-up requires you to think about each and every move individually and as a whole. Which moves you can cancel into which moves? Which moves have short hit stun? Which have long hit stun? Which knock down? If you whiff a move will it keep going? Can you be hit when you whiff, or are you invincible? And so on and on for days.

99% of beat-em-up and action games on the App Store don't even have hit stun.

In Streets of Rage 2, one of the best beat-em-ups to date, you could do a jab, then use that one instant where the enemy is in hit stun to do a myriad of things. Not just combo into something else, but walk up, grab him, change position with the guy. Throw him. You could wait just long enough to get him into a second hit stun, or use that fraction of second to charge a double kick and so on and on. If a strong move hit an enemy in a certain way, his hit stun would end before your animation. There's so much thought put into the game. Caddillacs and Dinosaurs, Punisher, TMNT, Alien vs Predator...

Even Double Dragon, the one game that made beat-em-ups famous, an incredibly old, old game, whoops the floor with 99% of the beat-em-ups people release for the iPhone. Even Final Fight, which is probably the most mundane of the "big" beat-em-ups, humiliates the stuff on the App Store.

That stuff doesn't require money. At all. All you need to do is think about what each move is for, what are its strengths and weaknesses. Then you beta test it to see if anything broken passed by you. The end. The smallest dev and the biggest dev have the exact same chances of making a good beat-em-up. If you can make a beat-em-up, you can make a good beat-em-up. It's not a dime more expensive.

I bet there are lots of people nowadays who think the beat-em-up is a shitty genre, which is just sad. If i only knew the genre from the App store games, i would hate the genre, for sure.

5. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    I can agree on somethings. I really liked Knights Rush for a while, but there were too many obstacles and not enough enemies at a time (it got boring dodging obstacles), the RPG system was pointless, tons of bugs.
    I disagree with the one button combat not being about skill though. All enemies have different characteristics so button mashing doesnt always work. Good movement and precise jumping is needed as well, which takes skill. Same thing with bosses, they take skill.

I found OMG Pirates to be really slow. All movement was slow and so were the attacking animations so you can see an attack from a mile away. Bosses in OMG and Rush both require skill. I really liked the graphics, but I LOVED Rush's graphics.

Rush has so much potential that I'm willing to wait on updates for it, but I don't think it can fix some of those problems with an update.

6. thegrave

thegrave Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Things could potentially require skill in knights rush, if they fix the collision with enemies and with obstacles/traps.

At the moment its just spam attack, pick up some items and throw out mines etc. Theres builds that just let you spam skills or just buff you enough you don't have to really do anything.

I don't see omg pirates as slow, to me its fast paced and really requires more reaction than KR. I mean you at least have some dash moves.. How far did you play into Omg Pirates?

I agree that KR has a lot of potential, but thus far I don't see the appeal with the current gameplay..

7. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

I loved OMG! Pirates, best animations on the app store IMO. Knight's Rush is a solid game but the looks, combos and variety of moves, great boss battles, and perfect difficulty make OMG a good bit better

8. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Knight's Rush > OMG Pirates

OMG Pirates = Zombieville USA <- Snoozefest!

Nuff said.

9. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    I gotta go with OMG pirates. Probably one of the few non retina games that still look amazing on iphone 4.

The combat system also feels better and more responsive for OMG pirates. Feels more like a 2d version of the 3d ninja gaiden games which I enjoy.

10. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Knight's Rush has absolutely nothing on OMG Pirates! OMG so blows it out of the water, it is not even funny. Knight's Rush is a snoozefest. Repetitive traps and enemies plus one button combo that requires no brain input at all does a good hack and slash not make.

The counter in OMG Pirates is killer and unmatchable. I hope for a sequel.

11. ZEROFACES

ZEROFACES Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Househusband & Musician.
    Ripbum, Canada (seriously)
    My 2 cents: When OMG Pirates came out, I only played it about 3-4 times and then got bored. I liked it, but it didn't hold me. KR is a crash-fest on iPod 2G, and I regret that I ever bought it. So I'm gonna say neither, just buy Rimelands! Frik I'm loving that game...:)

12. Rangerlump

Rangerlump Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2010
    I just tried replaying OMG! last night and after trying to finish a level 3 times i quit. Yeah I know I am not uber or anything, but atleast KR had a difficulty setting so people like me can atleast experience the game we paid for, even if in our old age our reflexes slow a bit. I cannot not get past whatever level I am on in OMG!, no way to healup, no really cool clickable buttons. To me OMG gets boring easy....maybe its just me.

Off to youtube i guess, to find a walkthru for OMG! haha.

13. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    #13 November's Chopin, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
    Reason? None? Thought so.
    Pirates is better than Knight's Rush in every category other than graphics, and even that is subjective. You can actually dodge and parry enemy attacks in Pirates and level up and become stronger, whereas in Knight's Rush it's a one-button mash fest. On top of that, Pirates is free of bugs, KR is infested with bugs (I don't see any changes in the new update at all, description simply says "fixed bugs users suggested", fixed what bugs? Every bug other people and I mentioned are still there). KR is also more expensive. Before I was looking forward to a good side-scrolling action game and thought KR would do the job, what a complete disappointment.
    If you want replayability, a real challenge (hard mode on Pirates extremely challenging), and good boss fights (KR has like... 1 enemy type per level?), get Pirates. Otherwise if you're only looking for good graphics, get KR.

Have you even played the game are you just stupidly comparing two completely unrelated games just because they have similar graphics and are by the same company? Are you going to say Doodle Jump = Doodle Pool next?
    Zombieville = one button mash fest = Knight's Rush except with melee weapons
    Pirates = side-scrolling action game that actually takes some reflex skill to master parrying and jump dodge

14. Meta Knight

Meta Knight Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2010
    #14 Meta Knight, Sep 4, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
    well I think knights rush is way better than OMG pirates I have played the lite version of OMG pirates and it SUCKS how can anyone think this game is better than knights rush knights rush is way better and it has no bugs even the save works fine all u have to press is the home button so OMG PIRATES is bad knights rush is a hundred times better and if it has bugs name one

15. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Well there you go.

16. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I got ExtraLivesTV to do reviews on both games:

17. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Like the OMG Pirates gameplay more then Knights Rush, but I like to look at KR more. Also, I am more of a fan of the upgrade tree for Knights Rush. But to me, the easy winner is Pirates. Just a lot funner, requires more skill, and is really enjoyable to play.

18. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Don't have a cow man! I have a right to my own opinion. Jerk!

19. Meta Knight

Meta Knight Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2010
    See even the reviewers say knights rush us better because it is sure it has the max skills bug but the game is still playable but I know the developers are going to fix it the girl barley gave OMG pirates a thumbs up. And OMG PIRATES IS boring all you the is jump and see pirates get cut in half...... BORING!!!! In knights rush you can actually choose how you want to upgrade your character. Wat moves you want him to know. Unlike OMG pirates. And it's a good idea to reset your characters abilitys and perks every time you you enter a new world or die that's wat makes it challenging and fun if that wasn't there you will always be with max everything and that will make the game to easy. And its possible to beat bosses at level 1 I beat the final boss at level 1 and they told me there adding more in updates unlike OMG ninjas never is going to get updated with new levels. So do yourself a favor and buy knights rush because it's way better then OMG pirates and it's worth the price. KNIGHTS RUSH ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!

20. csklimowski

csklimowski Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I like OMG Pirates just a little bit more than Knight's Rush. While it lacks variety, it more than makes up for it with better controls and a higher fun factor due to the skill-based gameplay, as opposed to Knight's Rush which is more varied, but too chaotic for my tastes. Also missing from Knight's Rush is any sort of combo system, which I believe is essential to beat-em-ups.