Universal Knights of the Card Table (by Ponywolf/Iron Horse Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PBSNellie, Feb 13, 2019.

1. ponywolf

ponywolf Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2018
    Thanks! Good to know... Some the decks are built by an AI that has a budget to spend on good things, bad things, special things, etc and the whole thing gets tweaks based on where you are in the game, etc. Then the deck gets shuffled and dealt. So at certain points of the game different cards are available but may not be shown depending on the difficulty of the deck, what else is in the deck, etc.

Other decks are "puzzles" built by us that have the same card sequence every time. Usually a tutorial of some sort. Pacing is something we're still tweaking as well. There are a lot of new card types in world 2 and but early spells get used there in almost every deck after that--when to introduce things is a head scratcher.

2. Hard_Squirrel

Hard_Squirrel Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Hi Dev,

Any plans for portrait support for us one-handed commuters?

Cheers

3. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Some times you can see the love the devs put in a game. This game is one of those cases. It is a masterpiece. Game of the week for me.

AltsKev likes this.
  4. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    I realize it would be a pain in the butt, but I would also kill for a portrait mode, having the cards cascade down?

AltsKev and anthony78 like this.
  5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Agree with others that portrait mode would be awesome!

AltsKev likes this.
  6. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    We do appreciate dev participation and considering our requests. I read the Appunwrapper review and would agree that there needs to be a little bit more challenge (mode, maybe?) and some mix it up. This game has great potential and it has started out well. Keep going.

7. ponywolf

Dec 4, 2018
    We'd love to, but I looked at it a million ways and there was no good way squish all the cards into the bottom half of a portrait screen so you could use your thumb to swap them around. This probably won't be our last card game, so we're for sure going to look into portrait in the future.

We're already talking about some sort of daily challenge or endless more with difficulty ramps. Toward the end of the game there are some levels with 50+ floors that we're also looking into tweaking--like saving your last completed floor and starting from there...

These are all great ideas, and it's super awesome to get everyone's feedback!

8. TheProxy

TheProxy Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    Is this game too easy? I love roguelikes and deckbuilders and so this seems like my kinda game. But im hesitant because im not really into the adventure time whats up bro aesthetic

9. Yosup

Yosup New Member

Feb 1, 2019
    @TheProxy The game is pretty simple most of the time but challenge levels can actually get pretty challenging. There are quite a few levels that I haven’t played though, so this is only true for the first few hours.

10. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    I really dig these kind of games, but this isn’t holding my attention. The core mechanic is based on die rolls, so outcome is heavily dictated by RNG, which is fine, it’s the nature of card & board. The problem is, while you can improve your odds slightly based on the order of cards you play, you have otherwise limited influence as a player, leaving the games tactical depth, limited. I think another reason I’m loosing interest is the grind; gameplay is very repetitive and rewards are very sparse. The primary reward is gold, which other than unlocking the next level, has limited value. You can use it to unlock gear, but only once you complete certain levels and the number of levels between unlocks, doubles with each new weapon. And that the issue for me: Reward pacing is too slow, limiting my desire to trudge through the grind.

AltsKev likes this.
  11. ponywolf

Dec 4, 2018
    So I just built this page to explain the mission unlocking... Feedback welcome. I'll drop it in the next update...

[​IMG]

ioso likes this.
  12. fA113n_ANGEL

fA113n_ANGEL New Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Student
    Canada
    Great game, the only problem I have with the later dungeons is how long it is. I understand longer dungeons makes it more difficult, but it also makes it incredibly boring to go through 20 floor dungeons with 80+ cards towards the end. It was an immediate "oh god really?" moment for me. It also doesn't seem to reward you with anything interesting after going through the soul draining grind. I would rather deal with harder enemies within 5 floors than 20 floors of mindlessly tapping cards that gets fed in front of the character. Got to the final area and saw the first two dungeons are 20 floors so I think I wont be going any further. I might clear some missions and get some unlocks at this point.

AltsKev likes this.
  13. ponywolf

Dec 4, 2018
    Yeah, we were a little brutal in the later levels... especially the final three. New update early next week that will cut those last levels in half and reduce some of the mission requirements. You lose track of time when you are playing and developing at the same time :)

AltsKev likes this.
  14. ponywolf

Dec 4, 2018
    #34 ponywolf, Feb 18, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Working on fixes all day today!

15. ponywolf

Dec 4, 2018
    Pushed 1.0.6 live today with various pieces of feedback implemented. (Had to kill 1.0.5 due to a bug :( )

File.jpg

nickhoola and ioso like this.
  16. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
    Just make it through same as the iOS version? Or do you intend for the Android and iOS versions to have different monetization s?

17. ponywolf

Dec 4, 2018
    We’ve built a daily challenge system into Knights of the Card Table as a full fledged (and free) expansion! Participate in one of over 30 new daily challenges to unlock hordes of random loot! Each day has it’s own unique rules and let you try on some wicked equipment load outs.

[​IMG]

Challenge Island Expansion
    • Over 30 new levels!
    • Daily rewards!
    • New weapons, heroes!
    • A proper final end crawl!
    https://ponywolf.com/kotct-expansion-island

We’ve also improved stability and made many community suggestions come to life in the main campaign as well.

raravan likes this.