Universal Knights of Pen & Paper 2 (by Paradox Interactive)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, May 14, 2015.

1. Azi

Azi Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Will grab this most definitely when I've replayed the 1st + Expansion!

Added to Watchlist!

2. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Any impressions on the game? I was under the impression that the game license had been picked up by some other team, so I was wondering if it's the same quality as the first, as well as whether they could have messed it up with IAPs...

I loved the first one, and am certainly eager to hit the buy button on this, but thought I'd check beforehand. :)

3. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Same with me!

4. cplr

cplr Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    iCloud support?

5. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    #25 baldeagle86, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    Loved the first one! What a nice surprise!

6. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    My pen and paper days were anything but fantasy themed... Id be all over this if it covered scifi, super heroes, Cthulhu... Any thing!

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Wow... This is a huge surprise release. Too bad i could only have 2 purchases max this week, and that means im dropped to 1 purchase per week starting next week. :p

Im definitely getting this as sson as im able though.

8. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    omg..i bought heroes and castles already which i have no regret. so im still thinking of this one and fearless fantasy....so hard to pick......

9. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Come on, impressions, impressions, IMPRESSIONS

10. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    #30 Lickzy, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    So my game impression... I wasn't a HUGE "fan" of the first KoPaP but logged many hours on it, and bought gold as IAP to support the dev because I enjoyed the concept. Personally, I found the game to be rather grindy and repetitive, yet still managed to sink my time into it, despite it all. I found the combat redundant and the story less than desirable but... again... I still spent many hours in it.

if you LOVED the first one you will probably marry this one. The list of upgrades is incredible and I will not spoil the game but get ready for better loot, better story, actual dungeons where you navigate in them, a slew of traps and random encounters where you see dice rolls that either pass or fail, decision points where you can take an action or opt not to... the list goes on and on.

If anyone found the first game grindy and repetitive, you'll find the same type of game play, albeit significantly spruced up. For those who enjoyed the first iteration, this game is a total insta-buy

11. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks Lickzy! My main question relates to IAP: what IAP are there? Is it gold only? And do you feel the gold drops are balanced like in the first one?

I bought the first one on release, full price, and have had no problems with it. Want to ensure this is the same. :)

Thanks.

12. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    TOTALLY the same. The only IAP is gold and even the price is very reasonable. You can spend gold to upgrade the room and table top like before as well as buy items but there is also a WHOLE other place to spend gold that I won't tell you about : ) Completely optional and unnecessary, the amount of gold you get is reasonable.

You start off with 2 characters, eventually a third unlock for 10 gold, a 4th for 80 and a 5th for 250.

I could go on and on really About a variety of spoilers but I won't. Let me just say this, once and for all...

IF YOU WERE A FAN OF THE ORIGINAL GAME YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY GOING TO LOVE THE SECOND EDITION!!!

13. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Thanks! Bought. Downloading now:)

14. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    More or less my thoughts on the original - I'm still kind of on the fence about this mainly due to my backlog of games to play more than anything else

15. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Then I'd sit it out until you've chipped away at your list a little more, but buy it down the road. I played for a few hours today, and will play it again... but not for a while. Even with all the updates, I still find it rather redundant. Maybe I didn't give it a fair shake, who knows? But a few hours in and yeah... same old same old with a fresh coat of paint.

16. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Cheers for that - Well I just cracked and bought it anyway! Sod it it's only 3.99...... Even if I don't play it straight away it's given the devs some cash

17. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    As they should be supported for a quality game.

It really is a great game... but one I will pick up for smaller sessions at a time. :)

Enjoy!

18. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Wots KoP and P2? I'm too old to remember all these acronyms...

19. Anilones

Anilones Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Knights of Pen & Paper 2 (the thread you are currently in).