iPad Klockotock - Official Release - Puzzle game with unique game mechanic

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Talon Raines, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Talon Raines

Talon Raines Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Game Engineer
    Orlando, FL
    #1 Talon Raines, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
    Hey, I'm one of the developers at Iron-Square development (Mr. Trivia, Surface To Air Mayhem), and wanted to introduce to you guys our latest game, Klockotock.

At its heart, the game is a traditional Match 3 puzzle game. Just match 3 or more in any row or column, and you'll make a match and collapse the pieces. What makes our game unique is the "klock" interface, every piece is divided up into different colors (like a pie chart), and has a spinner on it, stop the spinner on the color you want the piece to be. The goal is to get the best score, difficulty increases with each new level until your game is over.

Check out screenshots at the official site: www.klockotock.com or in the app store.

We've been on the app store for about a month now, and are trying to find more ways to get people to discover us.

We'd love to hear FEEDBACK and IDEAS for future versions of the game. EDIT: OUT OF PROMO CODES, SORRY

Thanks everyone!

2. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    sent you an email :)

3. PimpToxie

PimpToxie Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Graphic/Web Designer
    Clifton Park, NY
    I sent you an email, thanks very much for the opportunity.

Will leave feedback on iTunes once I've completed my review.

4. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Wasn't this already released? I got this game a while ago when it was free.

5. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Developer/Student
    inside my iTouch
  6. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I sent an email as well. Hope I get a promo code!

7. Talon Raines

Talon Raines Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Game Engineer
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks for the interest guys, i've got more emails than promo codes at this point. I'll get the codes to as many as possible asap.

Yes, it's about a month old, and we ran a free promotion around Christmas.

8. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

Email sent .... thanks!

9. woot !

will test/review after my workout ^_^V <3

10. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    I like the look of this game, and I really like the intro screen with the ticking clock. I wish there was more to it though. Here is an idea, have some clocks have a little alarm bell on them, and they will alarm at some random time, and if you freeze them while alarming you get a bonus for matching them off.

11. Mad Portagee

Mad Portagee Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Thanks for the promo code. Played a couple rounds and its a decent game. I do like that its not your standard pick 3 and requires some skill.

One change would be to tell when the clock is about to turn black, maybe make the border flash. (there could be something to indicate it, but while playing I didnt notice.)

Another i'm not sure if it would help or hurt gameplay, would be to allow you to turn the phone and the clocks shift that direction. Might make the game too easy, but could add more to the game.

What does the square power up do? I couldnt seem to make it do anything.

12. LinXitoW

LinXitoW Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Honestly, your crappy, google translated german localisation of the itunes description just made my day xD

13. Talon Raines

Talon Raines Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Game Engineer
    Orlando, FL
    They always turn to duds after one revolution. Perhaps additional flashing could be good.

That's a fun idea, we have some experiments with that going, so maybe it'll make an appearance.

Thats our "go back in time" powerup, tap pieces that are already duds/colors to make them regular pieces again.

:D:D I'll have to make another pass at those translations, but i'm glad you enjoyed.

14. Tennisking1o1

Nov 15, 2008
    I haven't redeemed the code yet, but I'll be sure to post impressions later tonight! Thanks for the code.

15. marlenedegrood

marlenedegrood Well-Known Member

Thanks for the promo code .... I'll review and provide feedback tomorrow.

16. Mad Portagee

Mad Portagee Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    The reason for the flashing is because sometimes, I will be paying attention to another klock and the random one that automatically starts, i missed where it started at

17. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    @ Talon Raines

And what about my feedback at iTunes Store?

1 - on demand color bonus system (have an extra color to use in case it's necessary)
    2 - up to 3 bonus (see item 1) that could be accumulated through the levels
    3 - instead the bar a way to see how many clocks you can still left behind (a nice strategy touch considering items 1 and 2)
    4 - remove the Next button and goes to next level automatically
    5 - maybe even extra bonuses along with colors (slow clocks time, explode a clock, recover a clock)

18. Billhouse

Billhouse Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I had a chance to spend some time playing last night. Well done! I'm usually not a huge fan of match 3 games, but this one is pretty damn fun. It's one of the few that as soon as my game was over I jumped back in to improve on my high score.

I would like to have the clocks that start on their own be a little more noticeable, Im usually blocking them with my hand and notice a bit too late. I'm fine with the vertical layout but maybe have an option, like the "last chance" block, for when there are only 3 or 4 circles left and they are stacked 2x2 to be able to knock one over to allow a last match.

19. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Redeemed my code, thank you once again for that.

One thing I'd like to see is an option to play in landscape mode instead of the normal portrait mode. The only change would be the direction the klocks fall from. I wouldn't mind if it was a permanent option where you either choose landscape or portrait (default) or if it changed 'on the fly' depending on how the device is held. A good example of the 'on the fly' change is Gaia.

Also, perhaps a difficulty option with an easy mode where the klock's timer goes around 2 or 3 times before becoming a dud. This would be a nice option for children, 9 and under, so that they can enjoy the game too without having to feel too rushed.

The "NEXT" button puzzles me also, as it can seemingly be pressed at anytime, even at the beginning of the level. If not a complete change, perhaps an option to have that removed and have the levels advance automatically when no more matches are possible.

It would be nice if matches could be counted diagonally as well as the standard directions - horrizontal and vertical.

So far I am loving this game. I personally am able to notice when a klock starts it's timer. The gameplay itself is great, a nice twist to the standard match-3 game.

20. Tennisking1o1

Nov 15, 2008
    Just got to play this for a while. It's a great match 3 game. The gameplay is really unique and I had never played something like it before. I have to say, it's a great game. It runs smooth, the gameplay is challenging but still fun, and it holds my attention well. I'll be sure to write a good review in the app store for this one, it earned a good review. The only thing that bothered me was the basic font on the main menu. The rest of the game is kind of fun, yet kinda sleek, and the main font just looks a little too minimalist or something. Other than that, the main menu looks great with the spinner and the in game graphics are great. Thanks for the code to this great game!