Universal Kiwanuka by CMA Megacorp

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by copaeci, May 7, 2014.

1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    I think he was speaking about the quantity of apps released and how you have to keep up with it if your economy is low. I can understand it. Not everyone can buy everything and on a budget you have to look everything with a magnifying glass.

2. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I'm sorry, but this is a joke. Are you talking about someone being RICH because of TWO DOLARS? How much did you pay for your iPhone?

I totally agree with that, that's what I do too. But HUGE content to justify 2 dolars? I mean, does a 2 dolars game need to have a 50+ hours content or something like that?

Anyway, this game is pretty interesting. I'm thinking about getting it on my iPhone to play during the boring moments of my working days.

3. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    English is not my first language, sorry for confusion. I wasnt justifying him, I was saying that for people with low income is very hard to spend it, and looking at everything with a magnifying glass is a pretty normal thing to do in that situation. Just that. People seem to get at everyone throat as soon as they read something like, that never thinking about the back history, or never trying to feel the other one point of view.

4. Lavender

Lavender Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    Interesting tidbit:
    I'm in the US.
    There is an old law that some of the larger corporations take advantage of when it comes to employment for the special needs community.

Depending on the severity of the developmental delay or mental health disability, they can be paid as little as .22ยข an hour. Of course they can get raises. But.. quarterly (every 3 months) their performance can reassessed and the pay can go back down.
    I'm on the fence about it.
    On one side, it makes so easy to take advantage of this community. But, on the other side, A 'typical' person (no special needs) can do the same hour long work n 5 minutes.
    The law was put into place so a special needs person can still be in the community and have some self worth.
    That being said, imagine what $2.00 is like for them!

I am not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone here. I say 'No opinion" (smile) It just made me think of this so I thought I'd share the info. :)

I'm glad a video was posted. The game reminds me of the lemmings a little bit. The little guys look like they're following the big guy wherever he goes.

For those playing the game already; would this sound like a correct assumption?
    Thanks!

5. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Okay, final comment on this: I was not saying that $2 isn't significant for some people or that people should just buy whatever game because of a low price

I was merely commenting in regards to this "at $1.99 I'm assuming there's got to be some huge content.", which implies that if the games doesn't have a lot of content, then $2 is too expensive. It's just that the price dissonance with IOS games irks me sometimes. Shouldn't have called the guy out, sorry

Now, back to the game: any impressions?

6. Bronxsta

Pocket Gamer article had a nice description of the gameplay
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Kiwanuka/news.asp?c=59386

7. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    I only play the game for 10 minutes, it's kind of strategy game where you should build bridge to guide the folks to the 'exit' pyramid. You can't build the bridge when there's obstacle on it, but the bridge can pass the wall. Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker but you can see what I mean from the video.
    The poly graphic looks really nice. It's a cool puzzle strategy game so far, and I'll play more later. Ah regarding, how many level inside, I have count it yet.

8. Bronxsta

#29 Bronxsta, May 8, 2014
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    I'm ten levels into Kiwanuka and if there's one thing you can be certain about, it's that this game is very polished. From the menu to the art style to the effects, you can tell Kiwanuka was designed with style in mind

Just check out the cute level select screen and streaks of lightning
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So visually, artistically, Kiwanuka is already great. And thankfully, the gameplay is just as good as the visuals. Essentially you control a wizard and his followers and must rescue your imprisoned acolytes. Figuring out how to navigate the gaps, drops, and other hazards is the hard part; actually managing those feats couldn't be easier. Simply drag the lightning from your staff to guide your group, drag upward to create towers of people and then drag them over so they fall and create bridges and paths. It's simple and intuitive to control and just feels cool thanks to the nice lightning effects. Examining your environment is important, figuring how long your towers must be and what direction they need to swing, and timing as well, since you may have to remove a bridge mid-crossing to drop into another area.

I don't know how many levels there are, but like I said, I'm still early into the game and the levels still feel tutorial-esque or at least like these are still the easy levels. I haven't encountered the other colored terrain types yet. So hopefully there's a lot more to come.

With its abstract style, simple responsive controls, interesting mechanics, and overall polish, Kiwanuka made a great first impression and I'm eager to play more and see what kind of challenges the later levels have to offer

9. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Very well explained above. I've picked up a few games today but this is the one I've stayed with. I really couldn't explain it but I absolutely love it.

10. Bronxsta

Level 15 and now we have moving obstacles

Game is getting more challenging. The obvious simple solutions won't work so you have to be able to precisely swing your people chain to latch onto specific spots. Plus you're limited to three chains onscreen at one time so you have to work around that

11. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I'm stuck on " easy when done" im missing where to go. Anyone found help online? I'm sure its super easy & right there. I'm just missing something.

12. Bronxsta

I was stumped there too.
    http://i.imgur.com/hh2Sp6X.jpg

13. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Thanks for the help. I see now everything needs to be precise. Thanks again!!

14. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Went back & tried another way. Once they are walking on it double tap & they fall onto the correct spot & your done. Sometimes its easier than we can believe. Nice to see multiple ways to complete.

Attached Files:

15. TheFrost

Nov 18, 2010
    Game Impressions

One of those games hard to describe with words, that you need to be played. I will give it a try: You are a mage, that leads people from point A to point B. To do that, you have to swipe up from your character and it creates a bridge. That bridge will have physics and will stick on the other end to most surfaces, and you use that to move your people avoiding the obstacles it presents you along the way, trying to kill your bridge and impede your progress. And there are some tricky situations. Controls are very easy to learn and its effortless to move them around once you figure out the world and how to move. There are also some hints that teaches you how to maneuver around the levels and the new mechanics introduced along the ride. One of those apps made with passion and love. Everything has style. And no IAP present at all. A gem.

16. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    I'm up to level 18 and it's time for my bed but this is a proper beauty of a game. Didn't know what to expect and don't exactly know what I got but Frosty, Bronxsta and Sanuku's video above all nail it. Proper iOS game.

17. mzinn

mzinn Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Bronxsta - how about at hint on free freedom? I jammed through the levels since your last hint & bam. Just cant get it where i think i need it. Thanks!