Universal Kitten Sanctuary by Clockwork Pixels : Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Clockwork Pixels, Mar 27, 2012.

1. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I don't like cute nor do I like cats. But, the lite sold me and I'm on the bandwagon.

2. Sylvr

Sylvr Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    one more thing i would like to see is a button to invert toys. its hard to see anything when you are trying to play with the toy and are left handed. it causes you to end up completely covering up the action!

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    More love in the latest TA podcast. :)

4. h_A_Z

h_A_Z Active Member

Oct 29, 2011
    PJ
    Loved the game so far. Just wondering, how come when I replay the levels, my highscore is not updated? I'm on ipad2 ios5.01. Thanks guys!

5. Clockwork Pixels

Clockwork Pixels Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Hello,

Absolutely ... I originally implemented them for left-handed players because my iPad happens to sit on the left-hand side of my desk. When I picked the game up, I realised I'd got it 'wrong', but for some reason it never occurred to me to put a toggle in while I changed them all to right-handed! Sorry about that ... an option will be there in the next update, thanks for pointing it out.

Well, I did mention I'd be experimenting with the pricing, but I didn't expect to change the price again quite this soon. It's mainly because the game showed every sign of disappearing from the US store priced at $1.99, but also because it's now 'Staff Favourite' in several countries where I think $0.99 will work far better. Still learning.

Wow, I really didn't expect another mention and it certainly sparked this thread off again, which is always nice : ) Loved all the kick starter comments too, completely agree ... surely you make a game because you want too, you find a way, then try sell it ... not the other way round!

Ha, thank you ... not sure about a donation button as the purchase price is the donation. I'm just happy anyone purchased it at all. Although it didn't get very high up the charts it did make its money back, which is encouraging.

I will take a look at the assets soon, I believe some (such as the UI panels you mentioned) were only just high-res enough for the PC version and could certainly be improved for the new display. I can't upgrade everything because it's a universal app, and the iPhone owners will get a bit miffed if I double the download size ... I'm leaning towards having a separate iPad version for future games.

Thanks again!
    George

6. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!! :) The best way to do it, imho, is to have a bigger universal version and a smaller, separate iPhone version! That way folks who have both devices only have to buy one, and those who have only one device have a choice between better graphics-but-bigger-file or saving room and getting a slightly smaller version for their one-and-only iPhone. I hate, hate, HATE having to buy two versions of the same game just be be able to run it on my iPod Touch and my iPad! Please, please don't break off the iPad version, but break out the iPhone one instead.

7. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Some games (ninjatown: trees of doom comes to mind) have implemented server-side downloads for retina graphics. Not sure how feasible that is for you though.

The max DL was raised to 50 mb lately though so app size isn't so important anymore.

8. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Well normally I wouldn't buy a match three type game but after hearing about this on the TA podcast I tried the lite version and instantly bought the full version. Congrats for making something totally fun and just plain.... Well fun. :)

9. Clockwork Pixels

Mar 24, 2012
    Hmm, if you achieve a better score while replaying then it should go towards your game total (replaces previous score). I'll have a look into this for the next update, it is possible I broke this. Thanks for letting me know!

Noooooooo! ... I know, I always look for universal too.

I didn't think you could have a Universal App and a stand alone iPhone App of the same game (I'd read somewhere that Apple weren't so keen on this) ... but ... I've just noticed that Fibble does exactly that (and there's a third free/universal version too).

Anyway, I've not written straight-forward-universal off ... just thinking out loud : )

That is a nice approach, but you're right ... for me, providing server-side anything is currently beyond my scope, even my 'More Games' button just points to a web page : )

10. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I wanna buy this game but I got 2 questions how many lvls and does it get harder later?

11. Clockwork Pixels

Mar 24, 2012
    Thanks oooooomonkey ... and for the review on the UK store : )

Hi Markku, there are 100 levels & 50 kittens to rescue. The levels do ramp up (possibly more so on the iPad) and there's a 'tricky' mode which should provide you with more of a challenge (you can try this out in the Lite version using the 'Game Modes' menu).

Cheers!
    George

12. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I had alot of fun with the light version, might pick this up can anyone explain what trickery mode is?

13. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Nevermind tricky was in lite, now I'm sold.

14. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
  15. Clockwork Pixels

Mar 24, 2012
    Thanks, it's just a shame Pocket Gamer didn't actually review the game ... KS was just one review away from getting a half decent Metacritic rating.

While I'm here ... I've just got Game Center working for the next game, so this will find it's way into Kitten Sanctuary's next update : )

16. turakm

turakm Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2009
    is this game gonna have the same pricing as the new puppy sanctuary?? debating on picking this one up or waiting for the dog version...I am a dog person.

17. Clockwork Pixels

Mar 24, 2012
    Good point, I hadn't thought about it. I'll drop the price of Kitten Sanctuary on the day Puppy Sanctuary is released (August 14th) : )

18. Clockwork Pixels

Mar 24, 2012
    Hello, the Game Center update is available from the App Store and works for high scores & achievements. The game is half price ($0.99) for a few days to celebrate : )

Sorry it took so long, someone reminded me in the Puppy Sanctuary forum, but I thought I'd post here in the game's thread.

Thanks again!
    George

19. Kenan2000

Kenan2000 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2013
    ALL games by Clockwork pixels have been updated to 64 bit!