Universal Kitten Sanctuary by Clockwork Pixels : Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Clockwork Pixels, Mar 27, 2012.

1. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    LOL! I posted this game to my Facebook page, and already five friends have posted that they bought it. I told them not to look, that the game was like Medusa: it's a deadly-cute combination, guaranteed to sap all your strength and glue you to the screen. :D

2. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    What a nice game, the wife loves it! Addictive and uber-cute match three with a twist, its gonna sit on my phone for a long time not minding if someone freaks out seeing a grown a$$ man giggling at a tiny kitten playing with a rubber fish!

3. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Oh sad, the one friend reported that the game doesn't run on her 1st gen iPad.

4. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    no way...Azkend is 1000 times better...why do I need a clone? LOL

5. eAdvisory

eAdvisory Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Detroit
    that doesnt suprise me.

6. Clockwork Pixels

Clockwork Pixels Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    #106 Clockwork Pixels, Mar 31, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
    Hi dclose, the game works great on the iPad 1st Gen ... but ... there is a compatibility issue with iOS 4.3.x which has been fixed. I've submitted an update which will hopefully be approved by Apple any day now : )

Please ask your friend to check out the game's description on the App Store as I'm currently offering the PC or Mac version to anyone who has purchased the game for a 4.3 device to say sorry ... there's more details on all this earlier in the thread.

Edit: Btw, I believe all 4.3.x devices are upgradeable to 5.x which would allow the game to run. I'm not recommending you do this, as not everyone finds the upgrade process straight forward, but just wanted to put it out there as an option. Update should be soon!

7. Clockwork Pixels

Mar 24, 2012
    I do have a cat game! Got in late last night and read your post, wasn't sure if it meant it was there, or if you were hoping it was ... checked ... and it was!

Listened to it straight away of course, and ...
    it wasn't that 'S' word they use on the show but I'm not allowed to star out on the forums, yay! Would have been funny either way, I wouldn't have cried too much, honest.

Wait ... What? Firewood!? ... The logs are to feed the fire pits in each sanctuary! Kittens need warmth and they doze off when you drop them in front of a fire, makes perfect sense ; )

Thanks to Jared and the guys, and of course to everyone who mentioned the game should be featured in the Korner ... that's made my week now!

8. Fuzzyaardvark

Fuzzyaardvark Active Member

Dec 24, 2011
    UK
    I absolutely love this game.

I found that every time I was about to stop for the night, I would see the next kitty that needed rescuing and just had to help them. Then of course, there would be an event where I would need to play with my kittys or well, I just wanted to play with them. And after that I would see the next one to rescue and end up in a never ending loop of cuteness.

As I said...I love this game.

9. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Just wanted to say that you rock! And pass on my friend's heartfelt thanks for this offer! She love teh kittehs :) and is super excited about having it for her PC in the meantime, and says it's totally unnecessary for you to do this, but it's very much appreciated!!!

So thank you for producing a fix so quickly, and for the super-generous PC/Mac game offer to tide folks over, AND for being so darned responsive in these forums! And, of course, for making such a super cute, addictive, great-playing kitteh game! :)

10. Clockwork Pixels

Mar 24, 2012
    Glad the PC version went down well, I'm hoping it won't be too much longer before she can play it on the touch screen too. Unfortunately the kittens don't travel well between the two machines, so she will end up with a set of clone kittens!

Thanks also for sharing the game like that! I've been a PC game developer for a fair few years now, and this is the first time I've heard of that happening for one of my games ... I think I'm starting to possibly prefer iOS dev!

Thanks again everyone : )

11. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    LOL, another friend just tweeted, "XYZ now completely addicted to Kitten Sanctuary - and annoying our cats less as a result. Win?" :D

12. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Kitten Sanctuary Roars with Rewarding Match 3 Pet Sim

Many casual gamers have a natural affection for Match 3 which is a good reason why the concept has succeeded on the platform. The pick-up-and-play simplicity along with an engaging experience makes for an easy choice. Of course, the concept can quickly become stale if there isn’t a “higher purpose” to it. Kitten Sanctuary by Clockwork Pixels successfully uses a novel approach by combining a charming Match 3 with a personality-laden pet sim. While the cutesy title may dissuade some, it would be an understatement to say that they would be missing out on a very complete and entertaining game.

As the name suggests, Kitten Sanctuary centers on the protection of felines, and in this case, the enemies are catnapping aliens. Go figure how the devs came up with that storyline, but I guess zombies would’ve been too obvious. Aliens have gone around Kitten Island capturing kittens, and the goal is not only to rescue them, but also keep them fed and happy. The general objective of the game is Match 3 so the concept should be pretty inviting to those who enjoy this type of gameplay, but also to others who want a little more with their matching games.

Kitten Sanctuary has a lot of content providing 100 levels with three game modes—easy going, normal, and tricky. Easy going mode is an untimed experience that provides a number of power ups. Normal mode is timed and thus kittens face getting catnapped if levels aren’t cleared within the allotted time. Tricky mode provides a longer time limit although tile clearance is much more difficult.

The way to look at Kitten Sanctuary is as two separate parts—Match 3 and pet sim—since they are both different in what they offer. Yet, both parts impact each other over the course of the game, which is what makes Kitten Sanctuary such a rewarding experience.

The Match-3 part of Kitten Sanctuary offers some unique looking boards (aka Kitten Traps) each with their unique attributes that add to the overall difficulty. Visually speaking, Kitten Sanctuary is much more elaborate than you’d expect. Besides the colorful boards packed with items ready to be matched, the backgrounds are animated and entertainingly distracting. Often, kittens roam across the forefront of the board with aliens flying around in their ships in the background. Other times, it’s simply the carefree palm leaves motioning so there’s a good amount of detail included. Accompanied by a cheery soundtrack that by itself should lift your spirits, the sound effects are well balanced since they’re not meant to overwhelm but only set the stage.

As for the Match 3 gameplay, Kitten Sanctuary offers a well-balanced experience with the different modes and board designs. In each level, item matches must be strategically made and in addition to horizontal and vertical matches, the games allows for diagonal matches. Diagonal matching adds a nice element to the game and forces players to think differently. In general, items fall into four categories—food, drink, firewood, and credits. Food and drink provide nourishment for rescued kitties, while firewood keeps fires burning to keep them warm. Credits are gold and silver coins which can be accumulated via matches and used to purchase toys to keep kitties happy.

Within each level are gauges that track food, drink and firewood supplies. As matches of relevant items are made, the gauge gradually fills up. This is important as these supplies determine the health and satisfaction of the kittens in the sanctuaries. For players, this additional element makes every match as important as the next.

Each board contains a number of energized red squares, and in order to successfully clear a level, matches must be made within all of those squares. Eventually, certain boards will contain locked tiles that require matching to unlock. The degree of difficulty varies, but within a limited time limit and based on the design of the board, these can be quite challenging.

Kitten Sanctuary also incorporates a number of power ups which appear when match chains of four or more tiles are made. These power ups are activated by tapping them.

Shuffle—shuffles surrounding tiles
    Bomb—removes surrounding tiles
    Fireball—removes entire lines of tiles
    Time—temporarily freezes the level timer
    Locations—highlights matching tiles
    Lucky—temporarily allows matches of any tiles

As a Match 3 standalone, Kitten Sanctuary is full of content and has enough variety to make it a terrifically engaging game. Because there are different modes, players should be able to find something that suits them. But, what further differentiates Kitty Sanctuary is the pet sim element which is charming and cute. As levels are cleared and kittens are rescued, they can be nurtured and cared for within one of four sanctuaries—Beach, Forest, Mountain and Lake—which are unlocked as players progress through the game.

The sanctuaries themselves are basically cat parks where the kittens can roam. Within each sanctuary, players can purchase items such as toys and decorations to spruce up the surroundings. Credits in the form of coins are earned both from completing levels as well as matches made during the Match 3 portion. Also, if you don’t manage to make enough matches to fill up on food, drink and firewood supplies, these credits can be used to purchase the necessary supplies.

What’s really neat about the sanctuaries is the amount of interaction that players can have with their feline friends. While I’m not a huge cat fan, Kitten Sanctuary really grows on you which is saying a lot. Each adoring kitten has unique personality traits and moods which require attention. Tapping on each kitten brings up short profile about their likes and dislikes, and the state of their mood. Also, events windows appear highlighting certain kittens that may require additional attention, whether it’s a nightmare or wanting more toys among other things.

You are more or less forced to nurture your little kitties by playing with them and in general, paying attention to their mood swings. Purchases within the shop such as balls of yarn, wind-up mice or bicycle horns can be used to boost their mood levels. The consequence of ignoring them is the kittens will take off leaving the sanctuary which you really don’t want. If enough kittens bail, you won’t be able to unlock other sanctuaries.

Kitten Sanctuary does have some minor issues worth noting. Sometimes, taps to switch tiles fail to register and require multiple taps. In addition, the game could use a zoom function not only during the Match 3 portion, but also for use with the rescued kittens in the sanctuaries. Another involves items such as trampolines and food bowls which for whatever reason players cannot move. While the game offers a trophy room for a number of in-game achievements, there isn’t currently any GameCenter support or achievements.

In general, Kitten Sanctuary is complete offering giving players the challenge of Match 3 play with the stickiness of a pet sim. The engaging gameplay along with the cutesy, yet endearing qualities makes this a gem. Every action within the Match 3 has a direct impact with the rescued kittens and vice versa which should appeal to gamers of all levels. Regardless of whether you’re a dog or cat person, the devs have done a wonderful job creating an entertaining experience.

Albie Meter: 4.5 Stars (rewarding and engaging Match 3/pet sim that is as deep in content as it is in fun; game full of personality and charm with well-balanced difficulty; detailed graphics and animation with more than enough different twists and elements; in-game achievements but no GameCenter support; lite version also available)

13. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    #113 SkyMuffin, Apr 3, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
    Tried out the new update today-- the "no flashes" option is perfect. My girlfriend can now play without any negative effects/having to worry about her health. Thank you tons :)

edit: I noticed on your website that there's a Puppy Sanctuary game also...any chance this will be coming soon? :p

14. Captainslow

Captainslow Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Wow. Simply amazing!

15. Clockwork Pixels

Mar 24, 2012
    Thanks SkyMuffin, that's good news : ) I just noticed a review on the app store where someone said it was too flashy, maybe they haven't found the option yet. They still gave it 4 stars though, so all's good.

Yeah ... I've reserved the app name, so if it doesn't appear within the next 2.5 months I'll lose it forever! It's not started yet though (eek!), I want to release one of the space shooters first.

Thanks Albie! Love the review, one of the most well written reviews I've had in a while and very generous. Nice to see it on the store too. Btw, would have replied sooner, but I was worried about bumping the thread as it'd dropped a good few pages after I took a day off.

While I'm here ... the good news is the 4.3 update was released by Apple (who were also kind enough to agree to speed up the review process) ... and it works! Thanks again to everyone who first alerted me to the problem on this thread.

I've just finished an update which I'll submit tomorrow, it includes:

- Added support for player profiles.
    - Hide Tips option also hides move suggestions.
    - Reworked the 'Tricky' mode levels.
    - Renamed to 'K. Sanctuary' on the home screen.
    - New game & App Store icon.

I wanted to get these out before working on Game Center support as I've no idea how long that's going to take me to understand ... I'm not great at Objective C ... give me C++ any day!

Btw, if someone's reading this with access to the US app store on an iPad ... please can you check if the game is featured in the 'New & Noteworthy' section under 'Games' ... it should be no. 7, which means you'll need to slide to the right to see it. I'm based in the UK and can only access the US store via iTunes ... I'm assuming they match up, but it'd be great to know for certain : )

Well, thanks again to everyone ... it's been great being able to talk about the game and without this place it would have been a far more lonely experience, so many thanks to TA for this awesome forum!

Cheers,
    George

16. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    yeah,
    that's there in the Store ... right where you expect it

17. Clockwork Pixels

Mar 24, 2012
    Thanks Sladeums. It's nice to know it was definitely there for a while : )

18. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Awesome review Albie!

19. strivemind

strivemind Well-Known Member

My wife is completely addicted to this one. She always loves match-3's, and this is now one of her favorites.

20. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    iPad 3 Retina please.