Universal Kingturn RPG - (by Mangobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 11, 2013.

1. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mangobile. Designer & Developer
    Germany
    #61 niebau, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
    - The main campaign 'Knights of Andaria' with 67 scenarios (continues the story of the prologue)
    - A skirmish campaign with about 15 scenarios
    - Plenty of character classes not available in the prologue

2. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    #62 bigred447uk, Apr 12, 2013
    ie several weeks/months of of amazing gameplay driven by an excellent narrative. I used to pay £40 to £60 for shorter games with less depth and polish. It's the story that really hooks me. The gameplay is extremely engaging though and the characters have skill trees to develop and gear to collect.

This method of IAP implementation - one off payment for full premium game unlock is the only one I can really get behind. The prologue is a great taste of the narrative and gameplay mechanic and the unlock gets you reams and reams of gameplay. This is not half baked with promises of things to come if its successful like many IOS games. It's the real deal for one upfront payment.

Anyways here's hoping this post doesn't get moved to that price discussion thread !

Thanks to the devs for my go to game for this entire summer and beyond.

3. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Damage / HP loss calculation

While it is by no means essential to win the game, some of you might be interested to know how damage / hp loss is calculated in Kingturn.

In case of a standard attack (no skill usage) the damage is calculated in several steps:

1) Base damage
    ---------------------------
    A dice is rolled to determine the base damage which ranges from 90% of the Atk value to 110% of the Atk value.
    So in case of Atk 20, the base damage lies between 18 and 22.

2) Apply level difference
    The level difference between the attacker and the defender is applied to the base damage (7% for each level).
    This works in both directions. So a lvl 5 attacker makes 7% more (base) damage to a lvl 4 character, while a lvl 2 character makes 14% less (base) damage to a lvl 4 character, for example.

3) Apply critical damage modifier
    ---------------------------------
    A dice is rolled to determine whether the strike is a critical hit (based on the crit chance of the attacker).
    In case of a critical hit, 50% additional damage is added.

4) Apply defense value
    The damage calculated in step 3 is taken and the defense value of the defender is applied.
    In case of DBow 20%, for example, the final hit points loss is reduced by 20% (provided it was a bow attack).

That's pretty much it.

The damage calculation for skills works in the same way with two differences:
    a) For many skills Pow is used instead of Atk to determine the base damage (the corresponding attribute is mentioned in the skill description)
    b) A damage modifier is applied for some of the skills (before step 1). For example, the base damage of Purse Strike is only 80% of Atk, while the base damage of 'Lightning bolt' is 110% of Pow

Last but not least there is a damage modifier based on the difficulty setting:
    On the easiest difficulty setting ('Casual') all player characters receive 40% less damage.
    On the second difficulty setting ('Normal') all player characters receive 20% less damage.
    For all other difficulty settings (including the default difficulty 'Strategist') there is no damage modification.

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #64 undeadcow, Apr 12, 2013
    @niebau - Can you explain the differences in difficult levels? If enemy respawn rates can be adjusted with a separate option so not part of "difficulty" then what is? I understand, from above, enemy attack values are nerfed on Normal and below difficulties but not for Strategiest, Master, or King. How does Kingturn handle difficult setting variants? Also, thanks for posting damage calculation information.

5. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Gabrien, I can give some general hints that might help.

Foreword first:
    I had trouble beating the Bandit Cave, 2nd battle of main scenario, standard difficulty. Same with one scenario (I think the last one from the Prologue).
    My problem was that as "veteran" of the other 3 games, I was used to being quite overpowered and just rushed in. Needless to say, got my ass handed on a silver platter :p

Lesson:
    In the beginning, take it slow.
    Plan that you can reach a barricade or tent (or a tactically important point on the map, like a bridge) with a decicated and well thought-out push.

One thing I am not sure of is if buying more units is the better approach.
    I play with the absolute minimum, only bought one Bandit Archer to get the Legshot (slows enemies) skill. A second one might be a good investment soon.
    What I did instead, is focusing on the default units: Level them, improve equipment.
    I have less units, but those are tougher.
    Makes the game harder for me, as compared to the others, were I used way more units.
    But it is more interesting ;)

If anyone uses a unit-spawn strategy, how are things going for you?
    Would love to hear experiences from a radically different playstyle.

6. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #66 undeadcow, Apr 12, 2013
    My approach has been somewhat different (currently on Scene 11, playing on 4 - Master difficulty).

Over time I've purchased 5 additional units (1 Bandit Archer, 1 Knight, 2 Warrior, and 1 Bandit). The additional units help me defend and recover from failed aggressive pushes. A lot of times even an under-powered novice character can help influence enemy tactics by drawing attention/fire (cannon fodder). My perception is that one useful tactic is to draw enemy units into a conflict (using high hitpoint melee units if I need a sustained conflict / overpower or lower grade units if I just want a quick distraction) then send a sole unit (with ranged support) to rush the enemy base. Granted this is an over simplification because it's hard to distill all the possibilities and scenarios down into one strategy.

Typically when I have funds I purchase higher caliber weapons first (ignoring those with critical boosts in favor of staight attack value), particularly for rangers. If my funds are lower I focusing on training those units cheapest to train. In rare instances I've purchased armor, focusing on "tanks" like the Noble Knight amd some of the default armor seems fragile (especially for magic users because it only offers one form of protection, against magic alone, not bows or physical).

There's a lot of depth and variety to Kingturn.
    I also noticed some differences from conventions in previous Mangobile games. For one thing enemy healers seem more prevelent/effective and the enemy articial intelligent is definitely improved. The previous games were amazing; but I think Kingturn is better.

7. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    The gameplay and narrative of this game is amazing, totally recommended! :eek:

My only petition to the developers would be iCloud support to be able of playing the same campaign in iPad and iPhone. :rolleyes:

8. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #68 niebau, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
    Besides the already mentioned 'damage nerf' for casual and normal difficulty, there are two things that happen if you increase the game difficulty:

1) The maximum number of opponents on the battlefield is increased at the beginning of a scenario.
    Note that this is the only change that doesn't take effect immediately if you change the difficulty in the middle of a scenario (by exiting to the main menu, changing the difficulty, and returning to the battlefield via 'continue'). In other words, you only see this effect if you restart a scenario (respectively start a new one).

2) Whenever you defeat an opponent, the spawn probability for new opponents is decreased (the spawn rate is displayed on the bottom panel). Now, if you increase the difficulty setting, the spawn rate is decreased less for each defeated opponent. In other words, you need to defeat more opponents to achieve the same effect compared to a lower difficulty setting (you can think of this as more available reinforcements for the enemy).

I hope that wasn't too confusing now :).

Here is an overview of all the difficulty settings in detail (copied from the Tutorial page of our website):

Casual
    If you just feel like giving the enemy mobs a good thrashing this is the right choice for you.
    (-40% damage to own troops, -1 enemy on battlefield, decreased spawn probability)

Normal
    Strategy is required to beat the scenarios, but a mistake now and then is forgivable.
    (-20% damage to own troops)

Strategist (default difficulty)
    You have to plan your moves carefully. This is the difficulty setting the game was originally designed for. If you enjoyed playing Knighturn or Sw&Ear on normal (or harder) difficulty, this is probably the right choice for you.
    (100% damage to own troops, +1 enemy on battlefield, increased spawn probability)

Master
    Very difficult. Only for experienced players. Definitely not recommended for your first play through.
    (100% damage to own troops, +2 enemies on battlefield, further incresead spawn probability, increased spawn chance for elite opponents)

King
    A constant struggle for survival. Don't expect any fairness here.
    (100% damage to own troops, +3 enemies on battlefield, further increasead spawn probability, increased spawn chance for elite opponents)

9. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Makes sense. I'll see what we can do about it.
    Afaik, most of the cloud systems still have some issues with automatic synchronization. But maybe a simple export / import button with dumping game saves and game progress to the cloud will do the trick.

10. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Thank you for the tips posts above, much appreciated. I do have one specific question: after having a tough time with the cave map, I then went on to the next one available and strangely found it to be much easier for one significant reason: the enemy did not keep respawning as they did in the cave map. I'm not grasping why this was the case. Is hanging back and simply killing off the mobs until they "run out" a valid strategy or not? It did not appear to be in the cave map, and a rush of my own appeared to be required, but worked like a charm on the map after.

11. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Misunderstanding on my part. I had thought it was due to a move to android. Regardless of quality, it really matters to me. My PC hard drive is FULL; I have to delete apps and HOPE they remain in the store. previous purchases rarely works

12. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #72 undeadcow, Apr 13, 2013
    The developer might be able to better clarify but this is my understanding... Enemy respawn rates are randomized based around a set percentage (adjustable in the options) so that might explain the inconsistent observations of them coming full force in one instance and more subdued another. Effective strategies vary by level; however, at some point in most levels you will have to rush to take over the enemy base.
    Understood; anything could happen but I assume Kingturn will be on App Store for a good time to come and to me the developer reluctantly making Knighturn / Sw&Ear accessible again is an indication of willingness to keep games avaliable. I wouldn't let this concern keep you from Kingturn if you like the prologue; it's a blast.

13. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #73 niebau, Apr 13, 2013
    This is an understandable concern. Of course we want our players to be able to use purchased games at any time later.
    I just wasn't aware that it is problematic to reinstall an already purchased app once it is removed from the App Store.
    We will further investigate this matter, and won't remove Sw&Ear and Knighturn before we have found a solid solution for this issue (and are able to provide support accordingly).

14. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #74 niebau, Apr 13, 2013
    First of all, the cave scenario in the Prologue is indeed a very difficult one, and one could argue that it is slightly too difficult for new players who are still learning the ropes of the game.
    On the other hand, we wanted to demonstrate early on that you have to apply different tactics for different scenarios, and sometimes you have to come back to a scenario later on, if you keep getting a bloody nose.

In general you can expect the sub quests (blue map nodes) to be more difficult than the main quests (red map nodes). We mainly did this to make sure that the game remains challenging, but no one gets stuck in the main plot (for too long :)).

But back to the core of your question. The two mentioned scenarios play and feel indeed very different, and here is why:

There are basically three different AI types of enemies (behavior patterns):

Defenders
    -----------------
    They remain stationary and only attack player characters that come into walk + attack range.

Hunters
    -----------------
    They pursue player characters no matter how far away they are.

Conquerors
    -----------------
    Their main purpose is to occupy the player's barracks and palisades. Depending on the situation, they might decide to attack player characters along their way towards their target position, though.
    (The difference between Hunters and Conquerors is a very subtle one and hard to distinguish, so you don't really have to worry too much about that)

Anyway, all AI types will try to conquer the player's barracks and palisades, if an opportunity arises.

If you face mainly hunters (like in the cave scenario), you might find yourself forced to focus on defense first.
    If you face mainly defenders, you have to take the initiative.

Final tip: If you have difficulties with a particular scenario, you should resist the temptation of tapping on the 'Hurry Up' button all the time, and watch the enemy movements carefully instead.

15. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    You are basically right about this, and I would like to further elaborate this point.

As I've mentioned earlier, whenever you defeat an opponent, the spawn chance for new opponents is decreased (simulating a limited amount of available troops of the enemy faction).

On the other hand, at the end of each turn the spawn chance rises slightly again (simulating the recovery of wounded enemy troops).

Now here's the thing:
    The amount the spawn chance is increased and decreased not only depends on the difficulty setting, but also on the scenario itself.

Especially in later scenarios, the spawn chance decreases less if you defeat an enemy (this basically simulates enemy forces of a larger size).

I know, all of this sounds very complicated :).
    But unless you play on Master or King difficulty, you won't have to worry too much about these details.

16. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Remember to vote for Kingturn as Game of the Week this week if you think it is ! It deserves as much exposure as we can give it.

17. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
  18. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Im being told to pay for the full game to continue to the next scenario....but i already have done so!

Please advise......

Apologies, only just realised that its a different scenario entirely lol

19. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    Our bad.
    You are not the first one misunderstanding this poorly phrased notification.

For the next patch we have changed it already, to make clear that the Prologue is over at this point, and that players have to exit to the main menu and tap on new campaign.

20. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Interesting. I've tried that scenario twice, both times trying to burn down the death knight in the first couple of rounds, but by the time I do that, I get swarmed and the princess gets taken out with ranged attacks, which really hurts offensive output. I was thinking when I tried it again, I might block him off and rush everyone else up toward the enemy base.

I have no problem with side missions being challenging, but I do think it would be good to let the player know, especially this early in the game. You might mention it on the tip screen you get when retreating that this is sometimes the case, and it might be best to return at a later time.