Universal Kingturn RPG - (by Mangobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 11, 2013.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Kingturn is a totally new game never before seen on iOS. If you are referring to other previous games from this developer (Knighturn and Sword&Earrings) then in addition to unique plot, new characters/skills, and different content are a lot of additions including: world map, elite units, legendary class loot, stronger enemy AI, adjustable difficulty, fullscreen scaling (zoom), and tons of polish. Having enjoyed previous games and played Kingturn I can say the changes are a revolutionary step up.

Link to more information: http://www.mangobile.com/Mangobile/KingturnOverview.html

2. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Any forum goers familiar with Gabrien's very high standards will recognise this as high praise indeed ! (No disrespect intended I thrive off your always well-reasoned but cutting posts !)

So glad you like this Gabrien. I hope you get involved enough to buy the full game. There is good narrative here and I'd love to hear your impressions after extended play :D

3. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Thank you! To be honest, I've really wanted to like a game like this on the iOS, but the genre really has been in my blind spot ever since stuff like Heroes of Might and Magic and Romance of the Three Kingdoms, way back when. I think possibly because battling for battling's sake alone just doesn't hold my interest, and I need other aspects (story, expansion, diplomacy, lasting effect, exploration, progression, etc.) to feel engaged. Not sure how this game measures up in those respects so far, but it looks promising. Guess I'll have to see how I go.

4. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    Well whatever conclusion you come to at least I can rely on it being brutally honest !

I've not got very far with the story but from what I've seen so far it's full of charm and the little protagonists are full of character with their dialogue. I could be jumping the gun. I can't really comment on its complexity as I'm not far enough along but I have high hopes from what I've seen so far.

5. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Regarding the plot, there a lot of narrative depth to Kingturn. Without spoilers, Kingturn focuses on an band of survivors trying to solve the events behind and defend against a mysterious uprising. Your rag tag squad of characters has a good sense of personality and from their prospective a grand political tale gets weaved together between missions. The developer has a talent for plot pacing gradually revealing developments. There's even a classic haunted forest for good measure.

6. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    I like this sort of tactics game that one can just jump into and play, so getting this.

Graphics niggle: It doesn't look very sharp on the ipad3, but it's fine on the iphone screen.

7. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Less than an hour until it's Kingturn time in the US! :D

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You all won't be disappointed; Kingturn is amazing!

9. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
  10. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Downloading, buying, then off to enjoy.

11. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    As mentioned upthread, the resolution is low on retina ipad. Hopefully this can be fixed.

12. Marcus70

Marcus70 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Odd, I'm unable to leave a review, says "you must own this app to review it".

13. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Unfortunately if you redeemed an early release promo code you can not leave a review due to Apple's policy of not allowing reviews with promo codes. I'm not sure if there's a workaround since this is a free app download. I would also like to leave a positive review.

14. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Yes !! It's here ! :) And it's excellent , so far I like it more than Wesnoth . The graphics are pretty sweet too . ( for this genre ) . And to hear that the story is good and there is charm and humor , well I can't wait to properly check it out .

So happy :)

15. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    The only workaround is to re/download from a different regions AppStore after you have bought the IAP and restore purchase. I redeemed my promo in the US store and have deleted the app and re-downloaded from my native UK store just so I could leave a review.

Don't forget to back up your save with ifunbox or something if you don't want to restart the campaign.

5 star review left on UK Store ! GOTY so far !

16. kenken11

kenken11 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    Does the char lvl up as we progess?

17. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    Yes and they gain skills with higher levels.

18. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Thanks for the link. :)

19. dancingcat

dancingcat Active Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Singapore
    OMGosh! The enemies kept spawning like free... I kept losing. Just when i got them to 5 vs 1 advantage.. they revive and wipe my ass back to 1 vs 5 reversal!!
    Stuck at skeleton cave. All lvl2, What am I doing wrong!!

20. bigred447uk

Apr 16, 2009
    Capture the enemy spawn points like capture the flag to stop them respawning. It seems hard at first but it's a joy when you achieve this the first time !