Universal King's League: Odyssey (Universal app by Gamenauts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Any hope for a multiplayer vs mode? Team vs team bash would be fun even if it were unbalanced.

2. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I hope this isn't true and that the uniques come around again, because if not this is going to ruin my chance of getting them all.

3. Keitch83

Keitch83 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Hmm,you are helpful aren't you. My question is why the huge leap in size as the installed size is never this drastic usually. But never mind.
    The game itself is great fun and fully worth the price.

4. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Game is crashing about 2/3 of the time when trying to recruit from city -- iphone5

5. Can you let us know what iOS version you're using? Can you also try doing a fresh device restart?

6. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Game Impressions

I've played for about an hour straight. As initial impressions go, this is a great game and experience. I'm enjoying the game on the lowest difficulty setting. I know that once I feel confident with a strategy and beat it, I'll happily go to the next one up. As far as I can tell, this definitely has replay value.

The game is mainly about training your units and managing your resources. Fine tuning your units in specific areas, advancing the classes by leveling up your units, and handling quest to gain resources and alliances. Looking through the collection database, there seems to be a ton of classes to obtain. It's a great experience for anyone into management/strategy games, there's plenty to control. Although the game play is deep and accessible, I'd love to see it get deeper via updates by adding more unique quest types, maybe having control over a market or adding equipment.

The presentation and production values are top notch. The only IAP are the unique units which look pretty cool. However they seem completely optional and only there if you want to further support the developer or just mix things up with your playthrough.

No crashing or any other performance issues. I play on a 5s iOS 7.3 and gameplay has been flawless. So if your interested in this game, I say it's an easy recommendation. :cool:

7. embryo

embryo New Member

Sep 26, 2013
    #127 embryo, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    Nice game, really polish.
    Been playing for 3-4 hours, no crash, on ipad 2, ios 5.

There was just 1 harmless bug I encountered. Sometimes when I click on a dungeon on the worldmap, this window pops up (but it have none of the picture or info). You are able to close that window by clicking the X, then the real dungeon window pops up automatically.

Edit: Also, anyone know if you miss the chance to recruit unique, if you don't recruit them when the info/message appears (the thing about there being unique in mountain/city/wood etc)

8. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Actually in the secon month it crashes a ton

9. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Is there a way to save or just close out and it saves?

10. GaussEX

GaussEX Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Wow day 1 instant buy for me. This was a great game on flash and I very much enjoyed it for iOS. However you need a manual save button, because I kept getting random crashes and it set me back to winning last tournament. Moreover, there needs to be a more completed instruction manual like what classes specialized in. I could not figure out what to level my battle Mage for example.

I had about crashes on my iOS 7.2 and 4s. I get a lot of crashes and it's tiresome to restart from last save like 3 4 times.

11. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Wasn't entirely sure what I was buying here (didn't bother trying the flash version first), but it is a fun little time waster. Kind of condenses classic strategy games into a fast moving, distilled form.

Biggest complaint is the save system, or, more accurately, the lack of one. It's on a mobile device - people get texts and phonecalls they need to deal with on those things, even on the non-phone ones. Being sent back to the beginning of the month every time you get interrupted is already old, and the game just came out last night. Please add in some sort of improved save system. I know a month isn't that long in real time, but with a full party and a multiple holdings, you can lose a lot of steps to one text from your wife you need to deal with.

12. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    The game saves after each month. But true, a better save system would be great.

13. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Which I believe I said... yep :D
    Indeed. Every month is still potentially losing something like 15 training choices, a territory conquer, a couple of structure upgrades, and half a dozen quests, a character upgrade or 3...

Really, kind of a ridiculous system for mobile devices, surprised it didn't occur to anyone before launch that the existing system was problematic for the platform.

14. embryo

embryo New Member

Sep 26, 2013
  15. Ruzu

Ruzu Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Thanks for considering some changes for the current save system. I really hope you come up with a platform-specific solution. I tend to only play quick sessions on the go, so this per month save structure really limits my enjoyability.

16. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    I haven't had a single issue with it, but I can see where some people would. I am surprised to see you have such an issue with it on an iPod. I'd think an iPod wouldn't have issues with calls coming in or text messages.

17. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Have to agree with the crowd here about the save system, it's certainly playable as is, but saving whenever you exit the app (whenever you want to) would be a big improvement. Other then that, the only other problem is the occasional crash. (iPhone 5, IOS 7)

I don't want to sound crazy, but I'm actually playing this game more then Oceanhorn. Didn't see that coming.

18. Hi folks, we definitely hear your suggestions about the save system.

We're going to take a hard look for any possibility of tweaking it. The challenge for us lies on a technical level and not on a game design/ideological level.

19. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Any chance you will implement iCloud save?

20. Sylvr

Sylvr Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    fyi, i did not receive a free code. this review is all me :)

just played and beat a run through of the flash version. for all the things you get in addition, it sounds like quite the steal with ios. only things i would improve on over the flash are the main gripes already said: icloud save and more frequent saves.

http://armorgames.com/play/15037/the-kings-league-odyssey

flash game for those who want to give it taste. its pretty fun once you have an idea of how the game works. from there i definitely see replay value if you are into beating your high score. the flash is the basic version, so it wont have all the upgrades like gamenauts said:

Q: $1.99? Gadzooks, what's up with that?
    A: We think that is is actually a fair price given the fact that this mobile version includes all of these premium add-on content for the Flash version that costs $5.00:

1. Battlethon Event
    2. Legendary Units like the Battle Mage and the Phantom.
    3. Endless Mode
    - when you "beat" the game, you can keep playing in order to improve your Battlethon scores or to try to collect more characters. It's actually difficult to collect the rare characters because those appear within specific circumstances.
    - Your official scores will be the one where you get when you beat the game. So anything you gained in the Endless Mode will just be extra fun incentives.
    4. Insane Mode

Q: Alright,sweet, so what's new in this mobile version?
    A: Below are the new features for the mobile version:

1. Dungeons with bosses, including those only unlocked via Insane Mode.
    2. 7 brand new & unique characters to recruit.
    3. Upscaled all art & UI to HD.
    4. New enemies units.
    5. Revamped Black Market.
    6. New Events & Quests.
    7. Personalize your army's banner and name.
    8. Extended ending with new final (secret) boss.
    9. Intro animated video (the Flash version only has slideshows)