Universal King's League: Odyssey (Universal app by Gamenauts)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Nov 13, 2013.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    #181 ste86uk, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    I'm super bored so just took the plunge even if I get just a few hours out if it it'll be worth it at the moment. I'm a bit unsure if there will be updates as the last game of theirs I thought could have been great but never got any updates. Castle something? Really can't remember now.

Anyway going to get started I'm sure I'll enjoy this one from what I've seen and heard but I too hope there would be extra campaigns and pvp. Online components always seem to exponentially increase game life for me!

2. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Awesome port. The premium characters are really nice. I'm about to
    challenge the king
    on the Insane difficulty.
    I found the other difficuties too easy and some dungeons are not available in them. I'd recommend people try the insane difficulty as soon as they grasp the mechanics.
    And this shouldn't go freemium since the game already exists before the iOS release as a Flash game (like Kingdom Rush), so it wasn't built to be a freemium thing.

P.S.: don't start arguing that KR forces you to purchase crystals etc.

3. The Gamer Dude

The Gamer Dude Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2013
    I'm having a lot of fun with this one, there is more here than apparent from the screen shots and I'm playing it more than Oceanhorn ... Oh my 0:

The RPG tones make this one of those games where it's hard to stop playing once you start. On to insane mode.

4. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's the kind of game you say to yourself "just one more", and when you realize you did 30 times more...

5. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    That's exactly the pro one I have with this, you never get to a point where you can say "right I'll stop now and do something else" it's always that one more go or I'll just train this.
    I'm up to the king league on insane at the minute, I started with normal and it took a few hours but I didn't like not having everything there to unlock so went right on to insane.

6. pausiopao

pausiopao Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Can you please add an update where you don't have to click every 5 seconds to start another battle on battleathon? I'm on a point where I can get long win streaks and it takes away the point of watching your heroes fight if I have to click and click every time

7. brittspace

brittspace Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Training Guide?

Is there a guide that details how exactly which training choices affect characters and which ones are more suited for each unit?

I'm up in the air about stamina for my archer and have no idea what travel does. :)

8. brittspace

brittspace Member

Jul 26, 2012
    Agreed here. I would love a UI rework where it showed the Streak and a "Leave Battlethon" button during the matches, allowing them to just autoplay until you are defeated.

With the current model, I thought it would be more of a Who Wants to Be a Millionaire type of game, where I had to leave before I thought I would be defeated or lose all of my spoils.

9. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    You can tap-hold a stat to see which classes get more out of a stat. Archers can just focus on agility till it's maxed out, provided you have good tanks. I'd get stamina next. I've reached battlethon 43 so far and the enemies that umanage to hit my archers are usually also ranged so strength isn't a priority for them. My team was 2 archers, 2 knights, and a bishop.

Here's a class guide http://gamesdreams.com/showthread.php?115913-In-Depth-Class-Guide

Minor bug: Baltiev's stats can reach 100 instead of the maximum 99

10. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Wow this would have been a good thing ages ago for me, I've spent hours training both my main kinght and my team of archers in strength, when all along the archers should have been doing agility. This should have been explained in game as this is a major fail I'd say.

11. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Here's my end game screen for my first play through of insane (I didn't know about the strength/agility thing for archers until half way through this run)

Attached Files:

12. ednan

ednan Well-Known Member

#192 ednan, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
    Does anyone know what are the 4 classes missing here: [​IMG]

Ok, I got the 2 from the top, only those two in the bottom left...

13. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I've been playing the flash version of this and the 1st

14. kurechii

kurechii Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2013
    Indie Game Developer
    Malaysia

Unique Characters: Thief & Priest :)

15. B3NDoX

B3NDoX Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    From a fan of game dev story, is this similar?

16. Sylvr

Sylvr Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    are you jailbroken? on an old version of ios? have multiple games and apps open?

im on 4s and have no problems at all. not a single crash. im fully updated, not jailbroken, and dont run many apps at the same time. that should help you. maybe you havent restarted your phone in a while either.

17. Ruzu

Ruzu Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Endless mode is rather disappointing. I was under the assumption that you would get to fight in an endless amount of leagues, or that infinite dungeons would unlock. I'm in normal mode at the moment and the game is quite literally over once you beat the king's army.

Is there something I'm missing?

18. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    This game is a lot of fun. I just completed hard mode and am about to start insane.

19. oooooomonkey

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Nope don't think your missing anything, it's great while it lasts but there's not to much replay value, I completed normal then when to insane and finished that,
    And that feels like me done, there's really not much to go back for??
    It's well worth the money though as I've had a whole weekends worth of play out if this for a tiny price.

20. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    The TA review (or was it GOTW article?) that talks about how they replicated the Kairosoft formula was very apt. That's how Kairosoft games are: you get them, you play the bejesus out of them for, depending on your personal inclination, few days to a few weeks, and then you have seen everything the game has to offer UNLESS you are into pushing for a better high score at the soft completion. The games always offer you the option of playing past the completion, but I never understand the point of that and either start a new game or declare my time over with the title, I see this one in the same vein. The only thing you can do in endless is the Battlethon (not very exciting) or unlock as many classes as possible (appealing to some, but not me).

Fortunately(?), I'm getting too many crashes and have too much other stuff going on that I'm still only part way through Hard, so I've still got some more time before shelving it :p

As an editorial point, I much prefer titles that have an ending point unless they can really do something engaging with indefinite play, better to burn out than fade away as they say, so I don't see any of this as a negative.