Universal Kingdom Rush Vengeance (by Ironhide)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, Nov 21, 2018.

1. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    They just posted to say this is on sale on iOS and Android at 80% off.

Great game that everyone should own.

L.Lawliet and yankeeblue000 like this.
  2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Probably the best version of KR imo. Definitely should get it. Frontiers is a close second place. Overall I prefer the hero side more but in terms of features, the newer vengeance has plenty more / refined.

Since I've had this for a while, I'm hoping they'll put a big hero and tower sale one of these days.

3. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I’ve never played any Kingdom Rush game (and I’m not planning to), but I’m wondering how is this considered a premium game with such list of in-app purchases? I don’t get it!

4ED2E71A-0700-4245-B541-C2DE268E0282.jpeg

4. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    KR has been around for a very long time as arguably the best TD game series ever made. I'm surprised you know nothing about it.

If you don't plan on playing it then I guess iap wouldn't matter to you anyways.

5. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @L.Lawliet I mean, I’m aware of Kingdom Rush series. I know it’s a tower defense genre. I just don’t understand why it contains so many in-app purchases if it’s a premium game. I’m reading a similar complains on the App Store in form of bad reviews. There are free versions of these games with pretty much the same IAPs.

But I guess you’re right. As I’m not planning to play any game of this genre, it doesn’t matter. But I’m just being curious, that’s all.

6. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    You've post this if you just don't want to play this game never?

7. For this series I tried this one for the first time yesterday . Didn’t like it as first. But it was getting better and better. I want to see for myself if the iap will affect the experience

yankeeblue000 and solarnya like this.
  8. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Yes. For the 3rd time. I’M JUST CURIOUS!

The whole series is currently on sale. So it caught my attention. There are free and premium versions of these games. With the same amount of IAPs apparently. So I’m wondering how come these are so popular with such list of IAPs. It seems ridiculous to me.

I’m not going to play them. Still, I’m curious. What’s with the attitude? Can’t I just ask? I’m not bad-mouthing the franchise. I admitted in my first post I’ve never played any of these. Why is everyone here so touchy lately?:(

It’s 2:30 AM. I’m going to bed. Forget I asked.

bx59 likes this.
  9. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    Basically the whole series is made up of extremely good (perhaps the best) action tower defense games, and despite the scary list of IAP, they are all balanced perfectly fine without them. The coin packs are what they are, you don't need them but can buy them if you want to speed up the progression. The other IAP are in the form of new playable heroes, so more akin to DLC, and while their individual prices are kind of steep they are often offered at discount by themselves or in discounted bundles. You don't have to buy these extra characters at all to enjoy the base game, but the additional heroes offer new ways to play if you want to spice things up.

If you like tower defense I'd suggest picking up the original since it's free to see what it's all about and how necessary the IAP is or isn't in your own opinion (do note that besides Vengeance all the KR games are in separate iPhone and iPad versions, not universal). Or if you just don't get down on any game that has IAP, that's fair too.

macplash, Ringerill, ste86uk and 2 others like this.
  10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @macplash like boardumb said you should check it out while it’s free, in earlier games it’s just heroes that cost and some you start with and unlock by playing the others you don’t need it’s just if you like one and want one that bad you could buy one but can complete the games with all free heroes.

I know how you mean though it does seem odd and even in the more recent games they added IAP towers too which even I’m not fond of but again you don’t need them at all. I just look at it as an extra way for the dev to make money that doesn’t affect the game at all but of course I’d prefer if it was all included but I guess if it were they just wouldn’t add extra heroes and towers because it wouldn’t be worth the time to develop them?

They are great games and my favourite TD series so give them a shot and also Iron Marines by these is an amazing RTS check that out too, same thing with iap heroes but I didn’t buy any.

Ringerill likes this.
  11. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Just like The Boss said!

The IAPs are here just to unlock more types of heroes (or towers in the last title). These are totally optional and you get a fair share of heroes to play anyway. You can buy them for more diversity of gameplay and strategy (since some heroes are better at blocking lines or buffing towers, that can change your build strategy) but you are already offered free heroes. You can finish the game with just the vanilla heroes and towers and it actually is easier to do so since the game was built for that in the place.

Also as Jared said, if you play for some time, you will receive individual discounts or bundles for heroes from time to time at 40-60% their cost. Also don't forget that these heroes have been added little by little and weren't all present at first. So if you look at it now, it seems to be a huge list but some of them were not there for the first launch :)

I would definitely recommend playing these titles BUT in the order or release. Why? Because although they have kept the save art style, they have added new mechanics with every new release. So if you play the last one now, you could be disappointed when playing older titles. I replay some of them from time to time but I know what to expect.

12. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Boardumb @ste86uk @Ringerill thanks a lot guys for clarifying! And explanation. The only tower defense I’ve ever played was original Plants vs Zombies by PopCap, which is probably not even the best example for a typical game of this genre.

My issue with this kind of games was always the possibility of pay to win factor. Like to lock a powerful tower behind an IAP which makes the game easier. It seems to me like it can easily ruin the balance of the game. And that’s probably the reason I never even tried to play any of these games.

If the game was fully premium without a single IAP I’d assume it has well balanced difficulty and is designed as it supposed to be. No shortcuts. Am I making any sense?

Ringerill and ste86uk like this.
  13. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    I have completed all kingdom rush games (i am currently finishing vengeance) with 3 stars in all modes in veteran difficulty and unlocked every achievement without ever using any item from the shop without ever seeing a video of how to pass a level without buying any extra heroes. Hell i remember at some point i had something like 98.000 gems just from playing but never used them (most expensive thing in the shop is 999 gems and most expensive iap if i remember correctly was 50€ for 40000 gems). I just used my brain planned every move of course it was trial and error procedure but the game is not about iaps. Trust me.

ste86uk likes this.
  14. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Alright, sounds great! Guys above said as well. If those IAPs are just to introduce new and different ways to play, it doesn't sound that bad. I might even take advantage of current sales and grab all these games to try for myself. Although there's a risk involved that I'll be spamming this forum with some beginner's questions as I know nothing about it.:) Still, thanks a lot guys for assurance it's not as bad as it looks like with those IAPs. I appreciate the response from all of you!

Ringerill, sakara214ever and ste86uk like this.
  15. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    As @sakara214ever said they are completely optional and not needed at all you can definitely complete all games without them. Even the gem abilities you earn gems playing and I never use them as I consider them a cheat for people that get really stuck.

The heroes and towers just give you different options and that’s all. I hope you enjoy them and your original hesitance I can definitely understand but you don’t need to worry with this dev.

Ringerill, sakara214ever and macplash like this.
  16. macplash

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #136 macplash, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    So, you guys mentioned I should start playing these in order to avoid confusion and mitigate the possibility of getting overwhelmed by the amount of game mechanics and whatnot, but I’m already lost. Fandom wiki contains the whole franchise going back to flash games playable in the web browser. If I’m about to give this series a try, which one should I start with exactly? Just a disclaimer, I’m planning to play on iPad and you mentioned there are different versions for that as well. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: so I check my purchased list and I got Kingdom Rush HD, Kingdom Rush Origins HD, Kingdom Rush Frontiers HD and just bought Kingdom Rush Vengeance for 50 cents:) (which doesn’t seem to have its HD version but I’m assuming it’s the only Universal then)

17. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I’d have to check but from memory it’s Kingdom Rush, then Frontiers, then origins and finally vengeance but I’m not 100% sure with frontiers and origins but pretty sure that’s what it was.

Edit: You can just start with vengeance if you want it doesn’t matter too much but it does have some extra in them as they progress but nothing massively game changing or anything. But maybe then the older ones would seem bland?

18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    With that said above they are all pretty much the same game just with some minor differences and different maps, heroes and towers.

19. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    They posted this on Facebook not long ago.

Attached Files:

Ringerill, Makara Nou and macplash like this.
  20. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Just to restate once again that purchases are indeed totally optional: I have stumbled across 2 videos on youtube from a guy who tried to challenge these games and beat Kingdom Rush without any barracks towers (melee units) and heroes and Kingdom Rush Origins using only barracks and a hero. And he actually managed it. So if the game feels too easy, you can create such challenges yourselves ;)

ste86uk likes this.