Universal Kingdom Rush Vengeance (by Ironhide)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by nyanpass, Nov 21, 2018.

1. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Because it’s essentially day 1 dlc. They’re withholding content from behind a paywall for a premium game. You’re getting suckered into paying extra for content they have already made. It serves no purpose other than to extract more money from you... because they can.

Notice they don’t do this with the steam version because they know ratings and user feedback actually matter on steam. They will absolutely get demolished in the comments if they dared to try this on pc.

drunk_vader likes this.
  2. nyanpass

nyanpass Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Thanks fo your good review! I totally agree with your impression about this new Kingdom Rush. Cheers! :)

3. kozz84

kozz84 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    You are stating the facts about the industry, nothing new. If you disagree with the model, vote with you wallet.

4. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I usually buy all heroes but I’ll only be buying the best dragon this time. Many others in this thread have stated they will either not buy any IAP or skip the game altogether. So you’re stating nothing new either with “vote with your wallet”. They know there will be certain types of people who will buy the IAP no matter what so “voting with your wallet” changes nothing in reality.

5. kozz84

kozz84 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    #65 kozz84, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    Ranting on a forum about day 1 dlc on a mobile title in 2018 also changes nothing.

To play the devil's advocate the new titles does not have a premium currency with uncapped spending, right? No random loot boxes? No stamina? There is only a store with tower and heroes? And you're paying for a thing you will receive. That is better than 99% of other mobile trash.

I'm also again the aggressive monetization, but this is a mobile title that costs $5 +$11+$15 and someone mentioned dlc is half the priced now so $5+$6+$8=~$20 ( I don't know the specific prices). I would argue that is no expensive. If you're saying this is expensive than you are a part of a problem that run the IOS game's prices to the ground.

EDIT Now I remember. It has been awhile since I've played these games. Kingdom Rush had these one time items, that you pay with gems. That was sleazy.

6. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    #66 TicTac, Nov 23, 2018
    First off I paid the full $30 for Monster Hunter Stories so cool it with the “your part of the problem” quip.

I don’t know what currency you’re using but the discounted towers cost $15.98 and heroes pack is $21.98 for me. And that’s at 50% discount and I’m haven’t even mentioned the $6.98 I paid for the game.

At full price (15.98+21.98)*2+6.98=$82.90

No thanks.

[​IMG]

drunk_vader and coxy like this.
  7. kozz84

kozz84 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    #67 kozz84, Nov 23, 2018
    I take it back. That is expensive, especially the heroes... And I see gems in the top left corner :/ Still 5+11 is reasonable.

Monster Hunter Stories is a port that was cheaper than the 3ds version.

TicTac likes this.
  8. TDLove

TDLove Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Not really sure why some people are so upset about the IAPs in this case. It's been implemented in a fair way, and offers only extra content. It sounds more like jealousy than logic.

The game is better than previous Kingdom Rush games. You get everything you need to be have fun and beat the game without spending any extra money on IAPs. This is not pay to win. You can completely ignore the IAPs and everything works just like the previous games.

The developers created extra content that you can optionally buy. It cost them money to create the extra content, and they want to get paid for their work. Other than being jealous of other players who choose to pay extra for extra features, what is your problem with offering extra content for extra money?

Imagine you went to a burger restaurant every Friday for years. You love the burgers. They cost $5. One Friday you go to the burger place and you notice that they've added steak on the menu for $40, but they still have the burger you love so much and it's still priced at $5. Are you going to complain to the owners that it's not fair you don't get steak for free? Is the addition of steak going to ruin your enjoyment of the burger that you've loved all these years? If it does, that says more about you than the restaurant.

The funny thing is that if they had released Kingdom Rush without any of the extra IAP content, it's likely that all of the complainers would be happy with it. But they added extra optional content and suddenly there is an outcry that it's not fair I don't get all of this extra stuff for free.

I would think that most people would want to see a company they like make extra money on the extra work they put into a game. But I guess you can't make some people happy unless you give them steak for free.

L.Lawliet likes this.
  9. TheRealist82

TheRealist82 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2016
    #69 TheRealist82, Nov 23, 2018
    ingame i sell a tower,game crash every time....... -.- (iphoneX)

I‘ve buyed every IAP......now i want to have fix that crashes pls

Habakuk likes this.
  10. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    That’s a long winded way of saying that things cost money to make. Which isn’t saying anything. Let’s look at the actual numbers, as I’ve calculated to get the full content you need to pay $82 or about $60USD. That’s AAA game price. Is this game and all it’s content worth as much as a console AAA game?

You will find that many people posting on this thread have no issues with financially supporting devs who make good content, myself included. I always buy the heroes for KR in the past because I know the extra money goes towards helping the devs create new content.

You can strawman the doubters as “jealous”, as cheapskates, as entitled all you want, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s weong for the devs to lock content they’re already made behind a paywall. On a premium game.

The funny thing is this game will cost $10 on steam with all IAP included, and that’s only because the devs won’t be able to get away with it.

This game is great and fun and I’ll still enjoy the bejewels out of it. The IAP tactics are questionable and we have a right to voice our opinion on it.

nodoctors and drunk_vader like this.
  11. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Nowadays it is a trend to NOT release a complete version of the game but have IAPs in order the customers will eventually buy and the whole gameplay is unbalanced. I'm talking about premium games and not the f2p. You will however complete the game with one star of three (difficulties) but if you want to fully complete the game, you need to buy heroes, towers, etc so that you can defeat the swarms of enemies. I don't know if any strategy will help but sure the power of real money will surely help. I may be wrong for this game because I have not bought it but I fear that this is the case for this too...

12. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Loving the game so far. I am halfway through and gonna buyone extra hero. I understand all those who dislike the extra content pay model. Having played every kingdom rush in every difficulty and having unlocked all achievements in every kingdom rush without ever feeling neccessary to buy extra content i find this kingdom rush no different as far as difficulty goes. So yeah cheers to the devs for this gem! :)

13. TDLove

TDLove Member

Mar 13, 2010
    Your example is flawed for this reason: we are getting everything we got in the previous games - and more - for the cost of the app. We are getting 100% of the levels and even more towers than any previous game. If people just close their eyes and pretend that the IAP does not exist, they'd likely be 100% happy with the game because it is everything it promised it would be. Seeing the bonus content is what makes some unhappy, even though it's extra content that is optional.

I am no big fan of IAP in general, but there are differences in the way that it is implemented. In this case, it seems to be a totally fair implementation. I think some people react against IAP no matter how it's used.

I can't tell you how many developers I have sent messages (or app store reviews) to asking them to please create extra content (for example, extra levels) and that I would be happy to pay for it. This developer included some bonus content in a game at release and they are getting attacked for it. The only solution I could see would be for them to have held back the extra content for some weeks and then released it as an add on IAP after people had already decided it was a great game.

Mycroft likes this.
  14. AzriaXX

AzriaXX Member

Jul 16, 2018
    Male
    If IAP over 5 times the value of the actual game is 'fair' then I'm happy for you. Base game consist of 11 towers + 3 heroes and sets you back a total of € 5.49. To buy an additional 5 towers and 6 heroes you have to pay an extra € 25.98 (!!).

You make it seem that we should be happy that they implemted these IAP to lengthen our playtime. The only thing you're forgetting is: they are not charging us for cosmetics, bonusses or to speed up progression. They are blocking actual gameplay possibilities from us. I am unable to use almost 30% of the towers that are in this game, even though I bought the game already.

I don't care about IAP normally, but in this case, it's extremely bothersome because of two major reasons: they are WAY to expensive in comparison to the base game, and I HAVE to buy these IAP to experience the full game. I completely agree with you that it's no problem to pay for extra content in a game, I do that a lot and I like to support developers that give the fans what they want. But I really don't see how anyone could defend the way this has been implemented. If they would have released these towers in a few weeks, and gave it a fair price I would be the first to take out my wallet. In this case, I buy a premium game and see over 30% of the available options greyed out because I need to pay for them. That is just bad, and we should not accept this. What's next?

Again: I say all this as a major fan of Ironhide, maybe that's why it bothers me so much.

drunk_vader, redribbon and TicTac like this.
  15. TheRealist82

TheRealist82 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2016
    I‘ve buyed all the towers and heroes,
    where’s the problem.
    have enough money ;)

16. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    This verbiage worries me. “Beatable without IAP” tells me that it’s imbalanced in that the very skilled and the very persistent can succeed, while the rest of us will either give up or pay-to-win. PVZ 2 was like this. Hated that game but loved the first.

drunk_vader likes this.
  17. Roger the Alien

Roger the Alien Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2017
    Germany
    I have beaten the game within 24 hours, luckily I was on vacation this week.
    No gems, no life lost, veteran difficulty.
    It‘s absolutely no pay to win as the other 3 kr games.
    As I finished the game I fully leveled up the 3 base heroes, so I almost had no chance to test the IAP heroes.
    As for the 5 towers, consensus is that the base towers are equally good if not even better. They are just different and have other cool abilities.

I finished every KR game, using the highest difficulty, no gems, no life loss, getting all achievements and I did it even with the base heroes although I own them all. Afterwards I also used the other heroes.

This time we got as much levels as always but more towers, that‘s all.
    Even if you don‘t take the IAP towers into account, we have more towers as previously. The graphics are this time even more amazing.

Mycroft likes this.
  18. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    TA crowd has always been critical of IAP's, but to call Ironhide 'thieves' is just rediculous. Of course it's a 'cash grab', these guys aren't running a charity. But they are offering a hours of quality content for just five bucks; a great value. If you want more content, they give you have that option; it's all very reasonable.

19. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Was playing on my iPad and this offer showed up: Margosa + Mortems on 67% sale for $2.98 total. I switched back to my phone (the save syncs between the two devices) and the offer doesn’t show up. Interesting.

In any case the original offer of 50% discount for all heroes might not be worth it after all.

20. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    You don't say lol.

Tbh I kind of enjoy seeing people get so butthurt over something that is so insignificant, but on the other hand I feel really bad when a discussion thread like this one is turned into a worthless tire fire instead of being a fun conversation about the actual game.