iPad Kingdom Rush Origins/HD (by Ironhide Game Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Phairdon

Phairdon Active Member

Aug 16, 2013
    So myself and my friend as well completely maxed out the first two kingdom rush games on veteran with none of those gem powers. I did buy a hero to support the devs.

I also don't consider the gem powers as unfair because I was overflowing with gems earned in game to use those powers if so desired.

Not using a hero is not a good idea because the hero is what makes kingdom rush unique to me

2. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I made a point to beat the final level in the highest difficulty without any of the magic items or IAP hero. The heroes and skills are just as much part of the game as upgrading the towers, so I never felt like I was cheating. But yes, I beat the hardest things you could do with no outside help.

3. PoloBaquerizoH

PoloBaquerizoH Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2013
    Anyone understand the achievement on stage 3 where you should end the stage without scaring 3 hyenas?

4. JMan121314

JMan121314 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Nope, I have no idea but I got the acheivement lol...

I think it might mean don't let them dash past ground units.... I placed only towers at the top so they never made it to my ground units down the bottom.

5. rabbitsamlcs

rabbitsamlcs Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Just curious, how is this game Kingdom Rush Origins compared to Crystal Siege? Any opinion? I bought KRO, haven't buy Crystal Siege yet.... Just curious did i miss anything good for not buying Crystal Siege yet? Hahaha... I nearly bought Crystal Siege when it was released, then i held it off as soon as i saw the news of KRO releasing soon. Haha

6. PoloBaquerizoH

Dec 30, 2013
    No matter, I just did the achievement, you just have to put some mages towers and some rock throwers up on the entrance were just Hyenas enter, and don't let them run faster, and heynas only run faster, by barracks or heroes, so avoid putting anyone on that entrance.

7. PoloBaquerizoH

Dec 30, 2013
    Yes that

8. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Interesting... As I recall, the original Kingdom Rush did not have any heroes. Heroes was only added later and in Kingdom Rush Frontiers. Even then, I recall that the developer had said that the game was balanced in such a way that it is winnable (if you play it right) without using hero or cooldown AOE attacks.

9. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    I've never played that version of Kingdom Rush, but then again, why would I want to? It sounds like Kingdom Rush Vanilla. The heroes and rechargeable powers add a nice layer of RTS, and have become a vital ingredient in any Kingdom Rush game. Plus, it's just more fun that way.

And as long as the game is winnable with the included heroes and powers, it passes the balance test. Handicapping yourself by not using the included heroes or rechargeable powers isn't an honest test of balance in my opinion, because you're ignoring core mechanics of the game.

10. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Crystal Siege is actually quite different then Kingdom Rush. The hero character (there's only one) is an even more essential part of the game, as Crystal Siege plays much more like a TD-RPG. The overall strategic approach is much different than Kingdom Rush, and is unique among TD games in general. So yeah, you missed something very good, probably the best TD of the year behind KR: Origins.

11. JMan121314

JMan121314 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Man I love this game... I was just playing and then I noticed Obelix sitting in the background carving a menhir. Reminds of when I saw the stargate in KR frontiers. Love that attention to detail!

12. chad_smash

chad_smash New Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Loved the previous versions, but, wow, people are STILL doing the HD thing? I'll pay for an iPad only app these days if there's good reason for not supporting "small screens", but separate purchase? That's a model that should of died out long ago and does nothing but alienate paying customers...

13. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    On the issue of IAPs, I'd like to add one thought. Even IF the heroes were a necessary purchase for some (or even most) gamers, they are still a persistent, non-consumable addition to the game. While I'm willing to pay $10 or more for a good mobile game, many ios owners are not, and If these hero purchases motivate buyers to spend more than they intended when they bought the game then that translates into more profits for the Devs without resorting to the sort of pay model that plagues PVZ2 and others.

I don't mind IAPs, in general; just the consumable variety.

14. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I agree. I can see other people doing "hero roulette" and making you pay for some premium currency, then do a gambling thing, then get a hero that's a certain rank. And they can make it so they don't gain experience but get skill points for defeating bosses the first time / you have to pay to get the rest. Hell worst case, pay to summon a hero, for one round. People don't realize how generous Ironhide is. They still have to make money too hence the prices.

15. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    That depends on what you are remembering. The heroes were not part of the original Kingdom Rush as it existed as a browser game back in 2011. However, the heroes were part of the iOS game from the start in mid 2012.

Regardless, as I pointed out to the people making pretty much exactly the same complaint when Frontiers came out, get over it. Whatever "purity" tests people wanted to lob at the original because of the very barebones, by the book, state it started in and which was mythologized by a tiny but enthused player base clearly did not apply anymore. KRF, and now KRO, were designed from the ground up to include both the heroes and the gem powers, and KR has spent a lot longer with heros and the gem powers inherent to the tweaking and balancing than it ever did without them.

Pretending there is any reason eschew either is simply tying one or more hands behind your back so you can tell yourself you're swinging a bigger third leg :)

By the time I maxed out KRF, I had over nearly 8K gems and had judiciously used the powers on some of the tougher levels to 3 star them because that's how the game was designed to work. So, by all means, set your own personal challenges (no hero, no IAP hero, no gem power, no star upgrades, etc.), whatever floats your boat, but the game is an excellent title and tuned as Keith Richard's guitar regardless of how you choose to approach it.

For me, playing without the heroes would simply not be "Kingdom Rush". While I did play the original before the gem powers were added, I never played it before it had heroes and, since that's a big part of its hook for me, wouldn't care if every level was winnable without them or not, and I expect that goes for anyone who started with the series on iOS where it has always had the hero feature.

16. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    ^ what he said. You don't have to use heroes or powers of you don't want to. Bottom line is you get the whole game in what you paid for. No tricks.

The game is beatable with heroes and probably even beatable without. Pick your own play style :) We definitely have no need to fight over if you use heroes or not, it's really up to you.

17. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Crystal Siege is far different in the sense the hero is crucial to your success. All buffs from towers and spells comes from hero gears. No skill tree for towers, only for hero spells. This is a hybrid of TD and RPG.

The very first version of kingdom rush has no heroes, then the addition of iap and heroes came together in an update if i am not mistaken. Speaking of iPad version. Havent played flash version. I believe someone on youtube post videos of clearing everything without heroes. Im not hardcore, free heroes and no power ups consumables is all i can do. :D

18. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    #158 tabs, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
    Just received a pop up, all heroes for 4.99?

Edit: can't seem to replicate it. Had a quick lunch, opened KRO again and a pop up came out saying one time deal or something, all heroes for 4.99?

19. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    That I'd probably buy, why didn't you!

I'd get it just to try them all out and see who I like, let me know if you found out how or why it popped up. Maybe it's linked to how far you are in the game? I've never had it show anyway.

20. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    I'm seeing it as 2.99$ in the App Store the Hero Pack.