iPad Kingdom Rush Origins/HD (by Ironhide Game Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Nov 19, 2014.

1. pinnygalore

pinnygalore Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Have just finished the first six levels on veteran up to and including the boss. Early impressions are:

- It's literally a skin of Frontiers, as someone said. There's very little that's new.

- It's way too easy: Each level was completed at the first attempt with 20/20 hearts just by building towers reactively, and most of the time I called subsequent waves instantly. I've played both KR and Frontiers so I'm well versed in the gameplay, but veteran mode should at least be providing a challenge for veterans.

- Gold income seems too high - perhaps this is part of the reason it's been so easy. After the first few waves, I was basically upgrading randomly without any real thought because gold is so plentiful.

- There's too many "spam" attacks. With the hero's action now providing a second mass aoe panic button and the plants adding aoes all over the map, added to (upgraded) lightning storm, and (on some levels) in-map aoe npcs, it's too easy to just wipe out whatever trouble might be brewing. Combined with calling waves you can sometimes spam 5 or 6 major aoes in a matter of seconds.

So yeah, slightly disappointed so far.

2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Well I guess you're in the minority as this is the most popular tower defense series and probably the most varied of all of them. I think you probably don't like tower defense in general because all you do is set up towers. If you think Kingdom Rush is boring I think you'd hate every other tower defense out there.

And I'm not exactly sure what you mean by grind. If you mean leveling up heroes that's completely not necessary. Heroes are best used to stall enemies. Towers are the main feature. Beating the game on normal doesn't require any grind. Hard you might want to start accumulating more stars for tower upgrades.

3. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Could you please elaborate on skins? New levels, new towers, new enemies, new heroes sounds like a new game to me. The only way it'd be a "skin" is if they had same levels and just changed the color or same heroes/skills just with a different face.

And I'm assuming what I said is correct since you said it "literally" is a reskin.

4. ditroia

ditroia Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Yeah seems pretty much the same with frontiers, different theme, different towers, the only new thing is the hero power. Loving it so far though. Great art, sounds and music.

Still an instabuy.

5. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Im at stage 11 and so far, on hero side, ive seen mostly elves and druids.

Reading a comment on top, yes, I find it easy also. In a way, the original kingdom rush seems to be the hardest for me. Frontiers was also easy.

Still a great polished game that tries to improve on the series with the addition of a few stuff. For now, id say its easy to pass on this game, but you should definetly play the original one as for me it is the most balanced one.

6. Dirtyhippy

Dirtyhippy New Member

Oct 1, 2014
    You have 3 free heroes, can you get the others with in game coins or do you have to spend real money in order to get them ?

7. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Real money. 1.99-4.99 usd as far as I can see. Two heroes are currently coming soon.

8. ditroia

ditroia Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Yeah it is easier, so I'm playing on veteran.

9. Dirtyhippy

Dirtyhippy New Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah well that's BS, i've been playing all morning and was hoping i missed something concerning the pay-to-play heroes. More than $6 (australian) for a TD game is quite expensive, even more when it's pretty much a copy of previous KR games, and on top of that you have to pay real money if you wanna get all heroes (some of them are more expensive than the game itself), and the app isn t universal.
    Quite upset and disappointed by this instabuy...

10. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    Please explain copy. People keep saying this. Just because there's no giant reinventing doesn't mean it's a copy. Unless they reused all the maps and enemies and heroes and story, they didn't copy anything. Same mechanics doesn't mean a copy. It seems like everyone here is expecting a completely revamped game like reverse tower defense or towers turning into transformers or shaking your device to attack enemies. In fact if they changed it like that people would be complaining this isn't the Kingdom Rush they were paying for.

Also keep in mind these are not even Kingdom Rush 2. These are basically side stories.

I can understand the disappointment with paying for heroes however is been like that for two games now. They didn't really change the iap.

11. Dirtyhippy

Dirtyhippy New Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Well, i consider it a copy when you get the exact same mechanics, only changing the heroes and places does not justify, for me, such a high price. I do consider it a copy, but this is not such a problem, since i do enjoy the game. The problem being the price of the app plus the overpriced heroes.
    It feels like the developpers did the minimal effort to get as much money as possible. Giving the choice to buy heroes with real money or in game currency, making the app universal would be nice

12. floyd

floyd Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Considering how long it's been since the first Kingdom Rush, I would have expected more from this than another 'expansion pack' like Frontiers was. Still, I'll probably buy it as these are some of the best TD games ever made.

13. nippyjun

nippyjun Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
  14. shiftdelete

shiftdelete Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Just noticed how many people are saying this game is a copy--- if you buy the latest Call of Duty, FIFA, Madden, Dynasty Warriors, Zelda, Pokemon, Angry Birds, etc etc... Those are all just "copies" too! If you like the same gameplay with a few subtle changes, then you will probably buy the latest "copy" of it.

15. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    I can't believe all the complaints in this thread. Heroes too expensive? Don't buy them. Gameplay too similar to old games? Watch a gameplay video before you buy it. Ironhide are one of the best devs on iOS, period. If their fantastic work isn't good enough for you to pay for without complaining, then please choose another platform.

16. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  17. L.Lawliet

Jun 28, 2011
    I agree. I would say the closest thing to a copy for a video game is sports game just because the graphics barely change and they only add a few things. Mainly it's a roster update.

I didn't realize a game with the same proven mechanics but new characters, new story, new map, new enemies is considered a copy nowadays. That's pretty ridiculous. It's actually quite cheap considering I've been buying random games I thought were good for $2-$5 and they were terrible after 1 day of playing.

18. Jake7905

Jake7905 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Thank you for bringing some sanity to this thread. We're getting a new installment in the best TD franchise of all time, brought to us by one of the most dependable IOS developers of all time. And you're right, they deserve to be paid for their consistent, quality work.

19. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I think it's a psychological thing. If Frontiers and Origins were released as DLC to the original game, nobody would say anything. It's like them being separate apps brings different expectations.

I don't really care how they do it, they can just keep on releasing new Kingdom Rushes every year forever as far as I'm concerned. :D

20. andrew9oh7

andrew9oh7 Member

May 29, 2013
    Love this game,my only gripe with the game is not being unviersal. Comeon ironhide!