iPad Kingdom Rush Origins/HD (by Ironhide Game Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Andy C83, Nov 19, 2014.

1. kannon778

kannon778 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Can't wait to load some cash onto this game. To this date kingdom Rush series have provided me with more entertainment than probably all other games combined from the App Store...

2. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    iOS 7 and up support will probably become a near standard thing moving forward as it means that developers no longer have to stress about supporting the iPhone 4.

3. joydiv

joydiv Well-Known Member

May 18, 2012
    Med Student
    Lisbon
    #23 joydiv, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    iOS 7 support means, in principle, iPhone 4 support...

As to the game it looks... Uninspired. The developers seem stuck on a cycle doing the base game over and over again. And while I do concede the base game was very very good in 2011, we're almost in 2015.

4. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    I can't believe it isn't universal, again. SIGH. Still instabuy, but very disappointed.

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What a nice surprise.

Will this installment finally save our progress during maps, and resume at a later point? It is simply not feasible for some of us to play 15+ minute games where all progress is lost if we have to interrupt our session (and sometimes even upon phone calls, something that occasionally happens in Kingdom Rush Frontiers on my iPhone 6).

(I remember Dungelot taking flak in the TA review for featuring 5-15-minute runs with no save mechanic. While early maps in KR games can usually be finished in just a few minutes, the higher echelons of play can demand 20 minutes or more of a player's time. This has prevented me from enjoying KR and KRF on the go, and I rarely, if ever, have more than 10-15 minutes to spare for a mobile gaming sessions.

Considering the portable nature of our iDevices, and how they are regularly used to play just for a few minutes at a time, I'm baffled that developers still release games which are not viable for portable play.)

Does anyone know if Origins feature any actual new mechanics or gameplay elements? With a game as good as KR, more of the same can actually be good enough, but seeing the formula evolve would be far more exciting.

6. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Jesus, still not universal?? Even one-man developed titles are universal, c'mon. Shit is greedy as hell. The days of HD and non-HD are far over, this is just a money grab and an inconvenience for those that want to play on an iPad and iPhone without having to start a new game.

7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #27 Ayjona, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
    *mispost*

8. Siniom

Siniom New Member

Jan 18, 2012
    I remember from other Kingdom rush games that you couldn't save your progress when doing the quests. This was bothersome because I dont always have 20 free minutes of time to play a game.

I want to be able to save my progress on a quest so that I can get back to it in another time. Otherwise its hard for me to play this game and enjoy it fully.

9. koyut

koyut Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Does this have IAP heroes? Shame no universal version still.

10. TicTac

TicTac Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Playing right now. Yes there are IAP heroes.

11. akekid

akekid Member

Jun 11, 2014
    It would have been insta buy from me but I'm not buying it out of principles. Should have been a universal app to show some appreciation for their fans.

12. JMan121314

JMan121314 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2014
    Having an iPhone and iPad version appears to be their business model. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Though I do have one confusion and that is shouldn't iPhone 6 plus be playing the HD version like iPad lol?

I think they should have made it universal and put the price up slightly.

Anyway I will buy the HD version for my iPad :)

13. JMan121314

JMan121314 Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2014
    So who's been cramming in playtime on KR and KR frontiers in preparation for this?

14. InkyTheGhost

InkyTheGhost Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2012
    NYC
    I'm just happy it's not free. Can't wait!!!

15. peon2000

peon2000 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    As much as I would like these to be universal (Specifically for iap to transfer) I'll still be buying at least one version to support their efforts.

I believe they once said that having separate versions allow them to chart better for some reason, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

16. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Yeah, I'm buying also despite that stupidity. I can't think of any other app with separate versions in what seems like years. It used to happen all the time, and we just grumbled and moved on. It was addicting for devs to double dip. Hell, I bought the other Kingdom Rush games on BOTH because I loved them so much. They are so addicting. Not doing that again.

Whatever their excuse used to be, I find it very hard to believe it would be valid.

Addicting is a word.

17. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    It's really great . Was in the beta, and I'll happily pay for this.

18. kannon778

kannon778 Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    The only issue I have with the app not being universal is a pretty bad one; that I would have to buy the same hero twice on each device.... Which is really really lame.

Anyway of course I am going to be getting the iPad version where it was meant to be... The Plus is too small, let alone the iPad mini. I had a difficult time playing the game on the mini previously when I tried it.

All that said, however, this is still my all time favorite most valued game series on iPad (assuming they didn't duck with the mechanics)

Edit: when I introduced the game to a friend just a year ago he assumed that the game was universal and bought it on the iPhone first...

19. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    You never know they may add universal support in an update? Are the others universal? I only have an iPhone so unsure.

Haven't checked out much for this game hero wise ect as I want to keep it all a suprise for later.

Last night off work just got a Chinese in, going to watch a DVD with it now then play a bit more vainglory while I wait for this at midnight! I'll be up until 6am anyway as I work nights.

20. dk79

dk79 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    Still not out in Europe? Noooooooo!!!!!