iPhone Kingdom Rush Frontiers - (by Ironhide Game Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    What an outrage, right? Charging THAT MUCH for a game.

By the way, it's not freemium at all. Once again: the IAP is totally optional and unnecessary.

2. iamthekiller

iamthekiller Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2009
    People love to complain, especially when it's five "dolars", whatever they are. The irony is that the same person will waste $5 on a piece of garbage happy meal that clogs their arteries and be fine with that.

3. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012

I actually found the game to be very easy even on the hardest difficulty, but after the "Gems" update, I felt something was messed around with the balance of the game to accommodate the newly introduced Gem system, it just didn't feel the same.

4. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Ill describe it like this...The game is standalone without the iap. As opposed to freemium games that revolve around the iap. Its as if they just tacked these options on as if to say "these options are here because we know we can make a boatload of money just for having a cash shop and its just silly not too.". If they werent there the game would exist the exact same way and not be a different experience at all. No need to proceed with caution.

5. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Im in. Thanks for the info guys :)

6. Indiania

Indiania Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    I was fortunate enough to test out Kingdom Rush Frontiers before its release today, and I really enjoyed it! I was able to beat the game with the 3 heroes that are unlockable within the game. I found the iap purchases to be unnecessary to beat or enjoy the game. There is a great deal of polish and strategy throughout KRF. This game became quite the obsession for me while I was testing it out. :)

7. Smartbomb

Smartbomb Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Artist
    England
    Liking everything so far, except the violence against scorpions.

Any idea if the other heroes beyond the first three can be unlocked without buying them with real money? Not the classiest iAP price point...

8. nicodemus82

nicodemus82 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately they cannot..
    Yeah, I have to agree, one of the only gripes I have with the game is the price of the additional heroes. Other than that though this is a really great TD game that any fan of the original shouldn't miss out on.

9. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    #109 Fleabag323, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
    I also found the prices to be pretty high, but I'm not really the target market since I would never buy that kind of IAP even if it were $.99. :p (In part it'd be because there isn't very much pressure to since it's optional.) For me, a separate, completely new game for $.99 would always be better. I don't blame the devs for pricing as high as they do because a really big portion of IAPs comes from people who buy outrageous amounts of them. People who buy a tiny bit don't typically contribute much; that's why lots of apps have $99 and higher IAPs that all of us would find ludicrous.

10. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    I agree. I, too, worry about this and am not willing to invest on the game unless I can see that the game is not stacked to encourage IAP or make IAP "almost necessary" to finish the game.

From the footage I saw, this sequel is more than the original in every way. Worthy the purchase if the IAP issue is clear in that IAP is not needed to complete the game in the highest possible ranking with perfect scores.

11. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Not hesitant at all to buy this in 20 minutes. From every impression, the IAPs can be completely disregarded.

Looking forward to enjoying the one as much as the first.

12. starcat

starcat Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010

maybe you just arent that good? i did the entire game without buying anything. all challenges. every thing. i never felt i had to buy anything.

13. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Could be. That wouldn't make his feelings less valid.

14. proof21

May 25, 2012
    Like I said already I three starred the game on the hardest difficulty on my first try on each map before the update. So I think I'm pretty good at the game lol.

Just I felt the difficulty balance was tweaked after the GEm update, so I did t even wanna bother. Also I disliked using the items from the Gem shop, it affected the gameplay negatively IMO.

15. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Even on the hardest difficulty? Because you pretty much have to use power-ups to do those and strategies seemed geared toward power-up usage after the IAP update. That's what he and myself are referring to. The difficulty and balance was changed, noticeably so post IAP, and the Kingdom Rush thread reflects that sentiment if you read back into it far enough. Even fellow real life iPhone and iPad gamer friends I know we're saying the same thing. It is not simply a matter of people not being that good...

To be fair though, the original is still very playable without IAP, but you do have to grind money to finish the heroic and Iron challenge modes where you didn't have to before, and normal mode was definitely tweaked to where even at the stages like the dark Tower where you didn't have to use power ups when it first released, you now do in order to beat them...

16. Max0809

Max0809 Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Can someone tell me how much is the size installed ?

17. proof21

May 25, 2012
    ^^^Thank You!!!

I felt like I was in the Twighlight Zone, you know when you are almost certain you are right but no one will believe you, lol.

18. wojovox

wojovox Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Just released. Is there not going to be a promotion sale? Usually games are like half off at launch and the predecessors fall in price too. I was planning on buy the first at sale and this one with introduction price, but if nothing goes on sale today, I'm just not picking it up. I've never played and there seems to be a lot of IAP for a purchasable game. I might just hold off until the first goes on sale again depending on what the devs do in the next few hours. They can either get $5 for me right now or miss on a potential buyer who would be willing to buy a few heroes.

19. C. Stubb

C. Stubb Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    ...Living.
    On Earth.
    I played the original kingdom rush on both the PC and iPod, and I have to say: I actually enjoyed it more on the smaller screen. Seeing as the mechanics of Frontiers is pretty much the same as the first KR, I'm sure the game will play just fine on the smaller screen.

20. C. Stubb

C. Stubb Active Member

Mar 10, 2013
    ...Living.
    On Earth.
    I never got the chance to play before the gem system was introduced, but I was able to clear every level, even your dreaded "dark tower", without dropping a single gem on powerups. While I'm totally not a fan of Pay-to-win fiascos, I really didn't see a problem with the difficulty.