iPhone Kingdom Rush Frontiers - (by Ironhide Game Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 5, 2013.

1. AQ808

AQ808 Active Member

Aug 16, 2013
    We've got to convince these guys to allow purchasing the heroes with the current asking price OR the equivalent amount of gems.

This is exactly what Heroes & Castles does, and why I will always sing its praises. Foursaken really does the model right.

I'm just a hardcore gamer and like to be rewarded for skill and patience. I do not buy IAPs on paid games, and expect to have the ability within a paid game, even if an arduous task, to unlock everything in that game through play.

Kingdom Rush Frontiers is a really beautiful game, but it won't get any free word of mouth advertising from me because of this.

Make this game whole, Ironhide, I want to recommend it.

2. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Thanks

3. K-Dog

K-Dog Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    I do really like this sequel, but wish there was a bit more. Plenty mentioned over this forum, but here's my brain dump...

- Unlock some of the other heroes with crystals. Shame a lot of us won't see the effort that's gone into the other heroes and their abilities etc. boo hoo.
    - Less of that digging rubbish to free up space for a tower. It's a an annoyance rather than adding anything to the game.
    - More levels :)
    - Maybe ability to use towers from first Kingdom Rush? So a choice of classic or new set of towers. You could have this to expand the game, so you'd have to complete all campaign levels and challenges with the classic tower set as well, or a mix.
    - After "completing" a level, would be cool if enemy waves keep coming in and getting harder until you die so you can enjoy the awesome set up you've spent all game crafting.
    - Or just a full survival mode.
    - Create level mode. Unlikely to ever happen, but I could envisage a whole community creating and sharing their own maps and challenges.
    - More powers apart from meteor and reinforcements. So greater choice but you just choose 2 to deploy.

So just a small wish list for the next one.

4. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    This was a great game, but it doesn't feel like it has the legs that the first one did. I am kinda 'done', I mean there are a bunch of iron challenges left unfinished but a lot of them feel very, very 'cheap', at least when you refuse to use items altogether.

I liked the way heroes levelled up every time in the first game, in this game once they are maxed out you just sorta park them and forget about them. This feels like a push to spend (ridiculous) money on the IAP heroes, which I am not going to do. Poor business model on that one, if they were all 99 cents with maybe one over the top hero for 1.99 we would have all likely bought them by now. As it is, what would be the point? There is no fun in replaying the levels with fresh heroes.

5. K-Dog

K-Dog Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Agree. I sort of glossed over the IAP model. The whole items thing dumbs down the game,. Hoping no one uses them. Also, £4.99 for the dragon hero - he would clearly be super powered, sucking the challenge/fun out of the game.

I'm almost through all the challenges without using items, so I've for my monies worth and getting fun out of the game.

It's great that there are some tough levels, hoping all are do-able on hard difficulty. I reckon Dunes Of Despair level will be the killer level.

Anyway, this was more a version 1.5 than full sequel in my eyes.

6. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Why?

What *possible* reason can you have for hoping others don't use them? The game was designed with them in mind, it was built from the ground up taking them into account. Even trying to beat any level, even easy, without them is purely a personally made up in your head challenge the game does not recognize in any manner.

The odd thing is that there is a support group for ePeen challenged gamers on the forum that lets you feel more like an adult because you arbitrarily refuse to use core features of a game. It doesn't make you a better strategy gamer. Arguably, it makes you the dumbed down one.

It's as if you were dropped in the wilderness on a survival challenge. In your bag of equipment is a .30-06 but only 10 rounds and a rock. By your "reasoning", only a fool would bother to use the rifle. There's only 10 rounds and then you'll have to scrounge up more, truly a fool's game. Nope, you're the real man getting mauled by mountain lions and eating grubs while those total lamos are eating roast venison in a cave they cleared out with those "scam" rifles.

If you want to beat the game without any items, that's certainly your prerogative, but it doesn't make you any better of a strategist or tactician, merely somebody lacking the self awareness to realize you're on the internet bragging how you make things harder than necessary in video games because that's how real men/women play games :p

A true strategist would be successful at determining which missions and challenges are best tackled without items to earn the coins to tackle those that are best beaten with items such all *game* goals are met with the least effort and money expended. Deliberately eschewing the items and therefore taking far longer is in the same clueless category as just buying a $99 package of gems and nuking all the challenges.

7. K-Dog

K-Dog Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Enjoy using those items!

8. AQ808

AQ808 Active Member

Aug 16, 2013
    I 3-starred the entire campaign on normal difficulty without any items, and I do believe that to be the real game. Most of the items in this game at least seem to buy you out of any difficulty or game at all. They feel like cheat codes, which I don't mind since most people aren't old school gamers and will need that to prevent them from simply deleting the game.

That said it was very difficult and very narrowly strategic in a way that has made me not too excited at the moment to play through veteran mode. Not really sure I'll return to it as I feel like I've gotten out of it what I wanted.

As difficult a slog it was, if it were any easier, it would have been too easy.

9. kaibosh

Jun 14, 2012
    Uh, yeah, about 'Dunes of Despair'? I tried the Iron challenge, in fact I tried it about 500 times - before giving up and watching a YouTube video of someone beating it. No, he didn't use a single item, but the 'solution' was a ridiculously cheap hack that pissed me off to say the least. Let's see someone beat that level *without* that little 'gimmick' and no items. Spoiler - it ain't gonna happen.

This was kind of the turning point, where I no longer cared about the game. Yeah, three starring some of the levels on veteran with no items (and the first hero, which most of us used the whole way through right?) is fun, pretty hairy down to the wire management of reinforcements and timing of upgrades, but...

I will do the same thing I did with the first game several times over, leave it for several months and then play it again from scratch.

10. kaibosh

Jun 14, 2012
    Uh, you don't get it, in the slightest. The original game was tuned to the last hit point, it was tuned until you had a nose bleed squeaking through the perfection of design. The 'items' in this game were a grotesque, tacked on money grab. When people refer to them as cheat codes, that's because that it EXACTLY what they are. They break the game - period. You can't possibly make a comparison between these items and the IAP for any other game out there. Let's take a company like Fours4ken, who have IAP in all their games. Hell, you can even get an XP doubler for Block Fortress. Do these ruin the game? Not even remotely comparable - when you see a lvl 99 character running around in multiplayer H&C, you know damned well that he couldn't buy that character no matter what IAP he purchased - he EARNED that character, period.

The items in Kingdom Rush are ALL nukes. Whether it gives you a few hearts back, or it freezes the enemies for a moment, every single item completely and fundamentally breaks the game to the point where if you are resorting to items to pass a level, you have just wasted every second you have spent playing it.

11. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia

Here just to prove to you that it's possible without any items used.Played it couple of minutes ago - Dunes of Despair - Iron challenge - veteran :

Attached Files:

12. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I get it completely; you're the one in need of some perspective.

It's a game. If Joe Yuppie wants to spend 2 hours of his salary and nuke his way to the end of the stars in the space of an afternoon, he is at *exactly* the same place as some die-hard like yourself who painstakingly works their way to the same place never touching items. Which is to say, you both just completely wasted a bunch of time on entertainment, had some fun, and, if you're lucky, will wake up tomorrow happy and healthy.

If you can find me a bunch of attractive groupies who will, um, service you while you demonstrate how you can blow through all the iron challenges with just Alaric and no items, then I'll reconsider my unbiased stance toward truly optional power ups in games :D

13. Naie

Naie Member

Feb 1, 2010
    I did a search for this and couldn't find anything, but has anyone experienced a bug in Port Tortuga? I get to the last wave, the last monster (Blackspear) and he just remains in his shell and cannot be damaged at all, despite bombarding for 5 minutes. This has happened to me 3x and it is so frustrating.

14. IronhideGames

IronhideGames Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Game developers
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Hello everyone! :)

We wanted to share this with you ;) It's just a small piece of what we've been working so hard the past few months:

Flash development preview: http://youtu.be/ZTZ8zKJYT4o

Android development preview: http://youtu.be/YwDQTsGAxGI

Stay in touch for upcoming news, cheers!
    The Ironhide Game Studio's Team

15. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    That is what makes him special. He only comes out of his shell for a little while, and you must kill him then. His shell makes him invincible and regenerate health. Use soldiers to open him up.

16. IronhideGames

Apr 29, 2011
    Game developers
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Kingdom Rush Frontiers for Android!

You asked for it, you've got it! ;)

Kingdom Rush Frontiers coming out on Google Play on September 26!
    Watch the trailer here!

17. kaibosh

Jun 14, 2012
    Thanks for letting us know, can't wait to play the game from scratch on my Note 2... :cool:

18. IronhideGames

Apr 29, 2011
    Game developers
    Montevideo, Uruguay
  19. Aventador

Aventador Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Student
    Croatia
    #659 Aventador, Oct 11, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    Looks amazing as always :D
    So happy that I bought it at full price, updates with free new chapters, story and enemies come regularly.Loved the game from first time I played it on ArmorGames, but artwork looks just gorgeous on retina displays.

20. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    #660 L.Lawliet, Oct 12, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
    Oh man! Halloween themed update! That's awesome :) It'd be really cool if you could make themed updates like Rovio does for AB Seasons.

And I see two new awesome looking heroes. So excited!