iPhone Kingdom Rush Frontiers - (by Ironhide Game Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    You make a valid point about the in-mission save or even a mid-level saves. Something to that effect would be a very helpful feature addition and a further way to distinguish this game to fans as being a true sequel rather than perceived as a glorified expansion. This is the kind of stuff I think fans would want.

2. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    I'd disagree, only in defense of gaming on mobile phones and devices as it makes common sense. The option should be present regardless because of the nature of the gaming platform. Most games can be and are often designed to be played in spurts when designed for mobile devices, but notice that many of the meatier, longer games have this option to save in game or safely send the app to background and pause without fear of losing progress or reloading the app.

Usually though, and in Kingdom Rush "defense" (pun intended), when a game has difficulty doing this it's usually because of memory demand or allocation reasons.

3. madman73

madman73 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    advertising creative director
    Manila, Philippines
    WOW! I totally LOVED the first game- hopefully this will be even more awesome.

4. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    A good thing then that time is, by its very nature, relative ;)

But yeah, agreed, generally, 20-40 minutes really does fly by, whether gaming on a PC or on a much smarter and more modern portable device. But its those times when they do not fly by fast enough and real life comes knocking that can be so very annoying ;)

Heh, yeah. I suppose that in a wackier world, the countering argument would be that unlike a PC or console, you can just leave your apartment with your smartphone in hand, gaming as you go :p (coupled with a drastic increase in traffic-related death rates).

Good thing there is always Bioshock Infinite to remind us that when to stop playing should not be the gamer's choice ;)

Yeah. I fully understand that it was hard to squeeze in at launch (apparently, unlike other TD titles such as Defender Chronicles and Elf Defense, something about the way Kingdom Rush and Frontiers are coded and structured makes the inclusion of level progress saving challenging, according to the devs). But as a major future feature update, I think it could do much for a perhaps even large number of the game's fans, and generate further goodwill towards Ironhide.

5. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

I see a link for the HD version, since I am in the US, how much is the iPad version?

6. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    5 bones or rather $4.99! See, they save you a penny!

7. xtrgrvyplz

xtrgrvyplz Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Its out in japan

Im reporting in

It is the same feeling when you start playing them the only difference is the background music and some visuals

The store option is 100% the same with the previous game

The only thing i noticed is on the hero page since im in japan all of them prices are in Yen ¥ sign but one hero which is shat'ra is in dollar $ currency i dont know if that is exclusive only to american users or its a bug

Note: i didnt purchased any hero yet

But overall experience is im so happy i finally get to play it in my iphone 5 works perfectly

8. xtrgrvyplz

Jul 15, 2012
    Also once you selected a level and start playing it theres a mini comics to read first so its a plus factor

9. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    +1

yeah i have been cracked out on warhammer. My wife told me just last night "i already don't like the new game your playing hahaha." i said wait until wednesday night when kr:f comes out then you're really not gonna like me ;)

10. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    After playing for a bit I can say that I have mixed feelings about this sequel.

As much as I loved the first KR (before the heroes and gems) I feel the TD strategy element/challenge which is the core of TD games has been somewhat taken away. After all, TD games are about devising new strategies and retrying again and again to beat that level you previously failed so hard at. And to finally emerge victorious is the best feeling ever. Knowing you can farm/buy gems to start off a level with more gold takes that experience away.

However, heroes now play a larger role here than the first one, which could be a good/bad thing depending on how you look at it. That said, I do have the dragon hero, and eased through the first few levels as he's a flying unit and hence can't be attacked (no range mobs at first). The heroes all play differently and are a fun investment, which I feel adds to the core strategy part of KR, which is tower type/placement. This is due to some heroes' abilities which synergises with your towers.

Still a great game, and I suspect I will spend many hours micromanaging my little heroes while frantically building towers for that 3 star rating.

11. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    That's not the same as "riddled with IAPs", because you can just choose not to buy powerups (which makes the game more fun anyway).

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    @nao: well I heard the flying dragon makes things a lot easier since he's the only air hero. If you want to be less hero dependent it seems you chose the wrong hero (or maybe shouldn't use them)

Ahhh I'm jealous of everyone who can play it now :( no mid game save though???

13. xtrgrvyplz

Jul 15, 2012
    Still no mid game save option

14. xtrgrvyplz

Jul 15, 2012
    By the way the price for iphone version just went up 300%

15. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    #55 Fleabag323, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
    I tested it, and since the game is now out in at least some places, I guess I'm free to talk about it. (I'll still be vague because I don't want to spoil it for anyone. :))

There is absolutely no need to buy IAPs. I only used the gem shop to see if it worked, not to beat the levels. You also get quite a few gems by playing, so if you want some "just in case" items to kill any stragglers, you can get them. The IAP heroes are nice for variety, but even Ashbite doesn't grant a big advantage near the end of the game. My favorite hero was Sha'tra, but Cronan (the third and final free hero) was my second favorite because of his stalling abilities.

The levels are difficult, but intentionally so. A little under halfway through, the difficulty ramps up a lot, so you might not see it in the earlier levels. Once you get to that point, your choice in heroes isn't as important because they won't be able to do as much damage to enemies. Upgrade paths of towers (including the awesome new level 4 ones) are much more crucial.

You could consider it Kingdom Rush 1.5, and that's probably why the devs called it Frontiers, not Kingdom Rush 2. It's more like an expansion pack than anything, but that's essentially what most moden game sequels are. The main changes are the new hero leveling system, new level 4 towers, new map-specific units, more enemies, and more maps.

If you liked the first one and want more, buy Frontiers. If you played the first one and didn't like it or had enough, then obviously you don't need to get it. If you haven't heard of it and want a great TD game, try Frontiers and if you love it, you can also go and get the original. Don't be too concerned about the IAP; it's more like paid cheat codes than anything. There aren't any areas of the app that are just not functional unless you buy something extra unlike some other games. The only thing that bothers me a little is the fact that it's not universal, but that may be so the file size won't be even larger than it already is. If you can only get one version, definitely get it on iPad.

16. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Who wants to bet that pvz2 will have less intrusive IAPs than this?
    Dissapointed in this game. I heard a lot of good things about the first one but it was full of IAPs this seems to be worse...
    I don't understand why this gets all the positive comments and PvZ2 gets comments like "boycott EA" "don't bother downloading" at least if it is as full of IAPs as this you didn't pay for it.
    Just my 0.02.

17. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Uhhggg, 3$ and IAP to win? Damn, I own and liked the first one but maybe Ill wait for this one.

Yes but the finished them BEFORE IAP was added, not after ;)

Shortened to get to the point

18. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Well, they got me there... I have a soft spot for dragons :eek:

19. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Thanks Bool Zero! Expensive night!

20. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Lol I can see why. He (She?) is so cool, reminds me of the Protoss zealot. Thanks for your feedback, can't wait for it to get intense.