iPhone Kingdom Rush Frontiers - (by Ironhide Game Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Naked Snake

Naked Snake Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Warhammer Quest maybe.

2. bababewey

bababewey Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    The thing that sets this franchise apart from other tower defense games for me is polish. Compared to another td franchise like Sentinel for example, Kingdom Rush just has that extra couple layers of shine on it.

3. actionrpg8000

actionrpg8000 Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Warhammer Quest and Kingturn- great strategy games. Definitely not TD, but I personally don't really consider the TD genre traditional strategy.

4. IronhideGames

IronhideGames Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Game developers
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    We had so much going on we had to sacrifice iCloud support to release the game sooner. We will add it in a future update :)

5. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    So far so good with me on this one. I enjoyed the original and this sequel seems to be no exception. I too agree the IAP's for heroes is borderline ridiculous. I paid happily for the game, so why offer premium heroes for 2-3 times the original price of the game?

6. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    This thread should be called the Kingdom Rush Frontiers MARKETING thread.

Hey maybe that's an idea, we could have separate threads about games discussing IAPs,, prices, versions, etc, and then another thread actually discussing gameplay.

7. Dark NRG

Dark NRG Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    Filmographer
    I've been on toucharcade since the early days.
    I've heard all the arguments and complaints over game prices.
    But this AIP is so rediculous making this game the same price full as an Xbox or PS3 game, it's a wonder I purchased the iPhone version. I promise you, not a DAMN DIME MORE.

8. Hound16

Hound16 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2012
    HAHAHAHAHAHA! That really is a great idea, every time something new comes out and I want to read what the game play is like I run into a thread filled with price discussion.

On frontiers: it's more of the same which is a beautiful thing. The detail in each level is fantastic, the challenge is rough and the strategy varied. Has someone completely finished the campaign yet? I'm about 70% done, but I'd love to see a challenge level at the end that brings back the old elite towers, not because I don't like the new ones, but because I'd like to see them mixed in with the new ones.

On the heroes: the new skill system makes me much more invested in them, as improving them takes effort. I'd like to get one or two more, but they are overpriced. Also, I have a sneaking suspicion the most expensive heroes are over powered, (a dragon???) so I wouldn't get them anyway as that would ruin the achievement of finishing the levels for me.

9. exash

exash Member

Sep 8, 2011
    It's just that the IAP is so high priced that it's blocking some of us to play deeper into the game and actually discuss about it. I guess some of us (i mean me) come here to let our voices heard to the devs so that hopefully the iap policy changes are made.

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Any chance this will be added as well? (Do read the posts on the following pages that voice their support for the idea, which just might indicate that the inclusion of this feature might be worthwhile, after all ;) )

11. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    #211 Lost_Deputy, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Here's the issue. To discuss gameplay is to discuss their pricing model. The two are intertwined.

Great game but its getting a little ugly at Ironhide IMO

12. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    I think I'll steer clear of this one given the insane IAPs. I tend to be a completionist and I'd rather pay reasonable prices for heroes or earn them in game. Lack of Universal version is the nail in the coffin for me.

13. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    Quoting this because I'm seeing posts about iPad owners accidentally buying the iPhone version of the game - this process works, and I've had personal experience (with the original KR, ironically enough :p ) with accidentally buying an iPhone game when I wanted the iPad version. There's a little text box where you can explain what the issue is, just say that you mistakenly purchased something and are hoping for a refund. I got mine without a problem, hopefully if anyone has this issue can get it resolved just as easily.

Pretty much just posting because of the above, but personally, I was really looking forward to this game but am going to hold off until there's more impressions/overall information. This comes down to $$ for me; I grabbed WQ as well as its expansion and an extra character last week, and right now I'm eyeing FFT and KOTOR, and even though $5 is hardly a fortune (assuming I don't buy any IAP), I have limited funds on my gift card balance but an unlimited craving for games. ;)

14. RuckusR6

RuckusR6 New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    I couldn't have said it any better myself.

15. Pipipitchu

Pipipitchu Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Civil Servant
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    I got the game and I loved it. It's the first one bigger, better and cooler. It's not freemium at all. Few IAPs and they never get in the way. It's like buying a new hat.

16. Codycat

Codycat Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Don't stalk me.
    I don't post on here a lot, but I go to this website everyday to just read and lurk on the forums. I understand all the complaints about the HD version not having universal support, and I wish the developers would confront this issue on the forums. I don't, however, understand the complaints about the IAP. I loved the first Kingdom Rush before the IAP were added, which did not change after they were added. I suspect this game is no different with the IAP. Yeah, the heroes are priced extremely high, but after playing a little of the game, in no way is the developer forcing them down our throats.

It's amazing how hostile people are being on here towards the developer because they have included optional items in the game. I saw one user mention hat IAPs, and I have NEVER seen developers such as Rocketcat getting this much hostility because they included hats in their games. The first Kingdom Rush was great, the first few levels I've played in this game are great, and I think everyone can agree that 3 or 5 bucks is a steal for it. I've gotten more replay ability in these two games than a few console games.

17. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    It was free that's why there were fewer complaints. Not saying for better or worse but you could assume that's why :)

18. Sageone

Sageone Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    The game is fun. Very fun, polished and addictive.

I think Ironhide should cut the prices on the heroes. Out of the 3 heroes you get from the start, personally, I prefer the Assassin. The Warrior is a bit of a hybrid and the Barbarian is more of a summoner. The Assassin is all about damage. So I think I will max her first, once I max all 3 then I will consider buying another hero. I think comparing this to let's say Final Fantasy where SquareEnix charges 15$ for the game. All heroes should not cost more than $10 to unlock. Thoughts?

19. brickwalker0

brickwalker0 Member

Dec 4, 2012
    #219 brickwalker0, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2013
    For those comparing the pricing to DS games and the like:

You are out of your mind if you think the production values of iOS games like this are higher than that of $30 games on the DS.

Games like this are greed first, gameplay second. Theres no two ways about it.

20. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Im sure they make enough money. Why do I have to pay 7$ for a dragon. Wish we could unlock without buying.